Post your PC specs...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Evc

Represent
Dec 22, 2001
Dreamland
www.fastlanehw.com
Originally posted by "Sp!ke"
"Whats this? Is it a vastly superior chip to my Athlon?" Yes, it is! Huzzah! The world is once again saved from bargain bin chips!!!
Athlons arent bargin bin chips, the are amore advanced chip then the latest Intel chip.

Evc

Represent
Dec 22, 2001
Dreamland
www.fastlanehw.com
Originally posted by Lizard Of Oz
I hate to say it SeRIaLKiLLeR, but your wasting your "breath."

He has choosen to ignore all but the one (or maybe two) benchmarks the support his delusion of Intel superiorty.
Yea, I think so. He was probably brainwashed by Intels dancing blue nut cases.

Witty

I hear only yes.
Aug 6, 2001
Provo... somewhere in Utah.
Visit site
THE PC:
Athlon XP 1800+
384 MB DDR
100 GB HD
GeForce 3 Ti 500 (got it today *happy* my last one was the original GeForce 3)
IntelliEye Mouse Explorer cordless
17 inch Viewsonic Monitor

The "buddy" pc:
Athlon T-Bird 1200 MHz
384 MB SDRAM
GeForce 3 (moved down today)
17 inch generic monitor
40 GB HD
PS/2 crap mouse

The "Buddies that I hate but come over so I can't refuse them" pc:
Pentium 2 400 MHz
128 MB SDRAM
TNT2 Ultra Video Card ( :D it used to rock, way back when)
13 inch monitor :p
20 GB HD

The "I reaaaaally hate you so go away" pc:
AMD K6-2 350 MHz
128 MB SDRAM
ATI Expert@play vidcard
13 inchy
6 GB HD

The lap-dancer:
1.1 GHz Pentium 3
15 inch screen
30 GB HD
256 MB SDRAM

The other Lappy:
33 MHz DX-2
16 MB RAM
80 MB (I think) HD
iddy-biddy screen

Them's my systems. It seems like a lot for a 15 year old with no income, but Santa (and my millionaire uncle) was good to me ;)

Fomhoire

Internet Addict
Dec 24, 2000
Sacramento, CA
Visit site
So, if we were to underclock a 2.0Ghz Pentium 4 to 1.6Ghz, which is the same speed the Athlon XP 1900+ is clocked at, what would the following scores from that link be? I think it is obvious the winner would be the Athlon XP, so how can you argue that the P4 is superior?

Quake III Arena

Athlon XP 1900+ 237,8
Pentium 4 2.0GHz (Northwood) 256,5

3D Mark 2001

Athlon XP 1900+ 7215
Pentium 4 2.0GHz (Northwood) 7222

Fomhoire

Internet Addict
Dec 24, 2000
Sacramento, CA
Visit site
OOooooh, look what I came across..comparitive benchmarks of the Athlon XP 1900+ and the P4 @ 1.9Ghz.

Keep in mind that the XP 1900+ is running at 1.6Ghz, which is a slower speed than the P 4, thus the Athlon is doing more work per clock cycle than the P 4.

25362B-10.gif

25362B-05.gif

Deathmaker

Balanced
Mar 29, 2001
Manchester, England.
:eek: I thought I'd stumbled into an old MadOnion "my PIII beats your Athlon", "my Radeon beats your GF2", "my dad can beat up your dad" thread :p. Some people just refuse to face facts (possibly due to some misguided brand loyalty :hmm: ), the way I see it is: Intel for the masses, AMD for the informed (but hey, that's just me).

And Cyrix beats all joo Intel-AMD fools!
silly.gif

&

"Sp!ke"

Thank you Fomhoire. Nothing more desperate than showing off benchmarks from AMD.com...:D

Check out http://www.hardware.fr/ for some more P4 Northwood benchmarks. Which is the one I was refering to when i said 300fps in Q3, something which I would like seeing an AMD doing...

And what is this with you guys: Lower clock speed chips in 0,18 micron being superior to a higher clocked chips in 0,13 micron?!
right....:rolleyes:

"AMD for the informed (but hey, that's just me)."

And that would be the ones informed with BS?

Deathmaker

Balanced
Mar 29, 2001
Manchester, England.
Right, here's one in English.
OK, I can pick up a 2GHz. PIV (N/Wood) for around £380, yeah it does offer a 10-15% performance increase over the old PIV and I think we can all agree that it's a nice CPU. I can get an XP-1900 for ~£240 that is clocked a full 400MHz. slower than the PIV and yet it offers similar (+/-) performance (without the need for still expensive RDRAM).

The thing is, I don't like to feel as though I'm being ripped off so I know which one I (and most 'informed' people) would prefer. But, like I've already said, that's just me. :hmm:

Fomhoire

Internet Addict
Dec 24, 2000
Sacramento, CA
Visit site
It wasn't AMD that did the tests.

Furthermore, the link you posted is in French, and I can't really find **** on it, but I did find a page full of links that keep showing more Athlon v. P4 benchmarks.

winstone-b.gif

The scores on this one are opposite, the lower score is best:

winzip.gif

Oh look, a 1.7Ghz P4 beat a 1.33Ghz Athlon. Again, what if they were running at the same clock speed?

Superiority is accomplishing more work per clock cycle. Higher clock speeds mean nothing if you can't do the work. All it does is increase power consumption and heat. Spike, you have some odd reasoning that a 20Ghz processor that does have the work of a 1Ghz processor...is superiority. I don't get where you are going with this.

And stability? No instability in my Athlon here.

So, if you really like the Pentium chips...go ahead, pay $150 more just because the chip runs at a higher clock speed. None of us here have a problem with it.

Originally posted by "Sp!ke"
Thank you Fomhoire. Nothing more desperate than showing off benchmarks from AMD.com...:D

Check out http://www.hardware.fr/ for some more P4 Northwood benchmarks. Which is the one I was refering to when i said 300fps in Q3, something which I would like seeing an AMD doing...

And what is this with you guys: Lower clock speed chips in 0,18 micron being superior to a higher clocked chips in 0,13 micron?!
right....:rolleyes:

"AMD for the informed (but hey, that's just me)."

And that would be the ones informed with BS?

Stryker8

Jan 26, 2000
oh god, and i thought i'd saw the last of these kinds of threads
whats next nvidia vs ati??
djeezus, give it a rest
look at the graphs, if you'r not convinced look at some more graphs, and still not convinced, by them both and see what you get :p

Status
Not open for further replies.