Tim Sweeney Interview Pt 3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Masakari

Jan 22, 2008
Sony only "allows it" because they needed other selling points for their console, specially the online part, as, lets face it, all the others pale compared to Live. The moment they don't need it or something bad happens because of it, it's gone.

heyqule

Apr 22, 2006
IMO, they don't have to target specifically for PC in terms of engine aspects.. Most of features they do for the console should run on the PC with minimal modification.. since they build the engine on the PC.

Last edited:

DorDuke82

Mar 13, 2008
Saxony, Germany
...all Levels and Scripting for the console games will be done months after these games shipped, when the engine and UED finally run on a PC.

:rolleyes:

I dont know where you are exactly going with that.
All i said was that it could cause problems for Epic in regards to Engine Licenses sold when UE4 will not be a Engine that supports the PC from the Getgo.
For Example:
A studio wants to make a PS4/X720/PC Multiplattform-Game in the First Software Generation off these new Consoles - then they wouldnt license UE4 because it wont support the PC for their target-releaseline, they could just switch to ID Tech 6 (if that is going to happen at that time) or maybe CryEngine3 if they are available through all plattforms (looking at how ID Tech 5 will be fully multiplattform in a way no engine has done it before yet i cant imagine them throwing that concept overboard for ID Tech 6).

[DUF]-Fragger

Jul 9, 2002
The Netherlands
10 Warning Level points. It means you weren't instantly banned for any one post, but rather worked at it across a number of them :).

How come that i never had a warning (WL?), but get banned suddenly. Shure it was my own fault i see that too (i was way too far with some posts), but if i had a warning i could take a step back :)

Gr Fragger

EDIT: I even wrote Epic a apoligize letter :)

Last edited by a moderator:

WarTourist

Jan 22, 2008
How come that i never had a warning (WL?), but get banned suddenly. Shure it was my own fault i see that too (i was way too far), but if i had a warning i could take a step back :)

Gr Fragger

5 for "This game sucks big ass" in January.

5 for "i hate UT3/Epic/midway" in March.

Hal/Brizz: let me know if you want me cool it :).

fuegerstef

Nov 7, 2003
KillingRoom
fuegerstef.de
@War_Tourist:

A good thing would be to also directly quote (copy - paste) the offensive post people get WL for in the PM. Because I once got a PM with WL and a link to a post in a thread that got deleted. So I couldn't look up what the cause for the WL was.

Now, hurry back on topic....

MARVO

I am in this thread.
Jan 20, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
That you guys are insane? WELL known :).

hsughlol.gif

Peccavi

Jan 20, 2008
You are the first one to mention console kiddy crap here, happens far to often these days. What are you defending?

Well, I took the first three or so posts as complaining about the state of PC gaming (sorry I can't retrace in time I'm on the train and working off my phone).

As for 'console kiddy crap'. When I jump on any forums, and listen to people argue about the methods of production that developers are leaning towards (in this era of UE3 development - and UE4 day dreaming - it seams to be consoles), I feel like people miss the point.

As for how I spoke, I probably shouldn't have used the tone I did in my last post, but I can't really apologise when at the time it is exactly how I felt. PC's arnt gonna die, and those hardcore PC gamers that tend feel like they have been knocked off their perch need to realize this.

As for what it is that I am defending, I can't really say. If I was defending something, I would have to take either the side of PC-specific-development, or consoles-being-industry priority. I'm for neither. The industry is what it is, and let the chips fall where they may. I play to enjoy the game, and enjoy all platforms when I can.

I don't mean to offend anyone, or confuse people with what I post, we tend not to speak english in Australia.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Lolz yeah we speak bad english here dont we. I wasnt offended I was just alittle iffy about where you stood, Im not for or against console development as such I just call things how I see them.

I just wasnt sure if your post was directed at mine or not, since I kinda hinted that consoles arnt the second coming (just like PC gaming wont die) I just thought you might have been jumping to their defense somewhat. I just wonder if its a sound business decision on Epics part since we dont even know what the specs are on the next consoles, let alone when they will hit the streets for what price and if they will be fully backwards compatible or not.

So I kinda see where you are coming from, Im sick of it from all sides though not just from hardcore PC gamers but also the screams of PC is dying from console marketing! To put it simply, its not a console war, it never has been, its a platform war at this point in time! I just wish people could see both can coexist, the gamers can get along (only if they choose) and developers can support all of them and make a profit on all of them.

Armagon917

TOAST
Mar 6, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
Lolz yeah we speak bad english here dont we. I wasnt offended I was just alittle iffy about where you stood, Im not for or against console development as such I just call things how I see them.

I just wasnt sure if your post was directed at mine or not, since I kinda hinted that consoles arnt the second coming (just like PC gaming wont die) I just thought you might have been jumping to their defense somewhat. I just wonder if its a sound business decision on Epics part since we dont even know what the specs are on the next consoles, let alone when they will hit the streets for what price and if they will be fully backwards compatible or not.

So I kinda see where you are coming from, Im sick of it from all sides though not just from hardcore PC gamers but also the screams of PC is dying from console marketing! To put it simply, its not a console war, it never has been, its a platform war at this point in time! I just wish people could see both can coexist, the gamers can get along (only if they choose) and developers can support all of them and make a profit on all of them.

You are completely right. Both can coexhist. What bothers me about EPIC is their lack to do multiplatform launches. They have launched their games on multiplatform but what I mean is to do it right. For example. Infinity Ward got Call of Duty 4 working on multiple platforms and their game worked great on all platforms. EPIC did not do that with UT3 or Gears of War.

UT3 was consolized and Gears of War for PC played like crap. The netcode had problems, there wasn't a ping counter and no text chat enabled ingame. The most serious problem was that the mouse and keyboard controls were poor causing me to hook up my 360 controller. At that point with all the Games for Windows Live junk in there and me using a 360 controller because the moue wouldn't turn your character for sh** in a roadie run I figured what was the point.

The sad thing is that Gears for PC could've been huge. But EPIC gave PC second rate treatment so they could get back to consoles and make Gears 2. Thats why such obvious problems were overlooked on PC variants of their recent games. Basically I feel this quote confirms that EPIC plans to go to console and if convieniant they'll slap something together like they did recently with the two examples I just mentioned.

So its become about money for EPIC and as a gamer I choose to not buy their games. I will rent them, but thats it. EPIC has made some bad moves here as its going to be very difficult to regain their fanbase's trust if their titles flop on whatever console. Them neglecting me over on PC has carried over to my gaming decisions on 360. This is just my opinion on the matter.

As for PC gaming dying, I don't see that happening. Games will most likely go multiplatform like COD4, Bioshock, TES Oblivion which were all done really well. Why EPIC couldn't do the same is because of greed. Those developers chose to make one game and make it multiplatform.

EPIC chose to make a new IP, sold it to M$, found they made a sh** load of money and then rushed everything they promised on PC (making it crap) so they could get working on Gears of War 2 and make more money. Gears 2 became priority and thats why we have the problems with their recent PC titles and this is why they can release Gears of War 2 in November... they were working on it all along. In the process I feel they wasted my money.

Last edited:

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
yeah but I have to say Gears of War 2 is gonna be awesome and I admit I am really looking forward to it. But on your other points for the most part I would tend to agree. But I won't say I won't buy their games ... I am just not going to buy them for multiple platforms as I have done in the past. Now I think it will be just for the 360 and no more Epic PC games past UT3 ... I really believe that UT4 on the PS3 and 360 is going to be an amazing product (compared to what it is on the consoles now ... I needed to clarify that) and I bet Epic will have a map editor for that platform ... I really believe that. UE4 is targeted for consoles so why should it be otherwise? Its just a shame that the PC will never again have the kind of importance it used to have for Epic and so will never be the platform they work the hardest on every again. That makes me sad a bit ... but thank goodness for other brilliant devs who still see enormous potential in the PC gaming market .. gotta love 'em. :)

Last edited:

evilmrfrank

Banned
Apr 22, 2005
Florida, US
www.evilmrfrank.com
maybe this is the reason why tim sweeney was saying pcs will follow, then... wait for pc hardware specs to match the consoles, then later on as the PC's get more powerful with time, we get resolutions and frame rates completely out of reach of the consoles... imagine those custom content which are made just for PC's , which would be too slow to run on the consoles... like i bet in a few months time with the next gen of video cards, custom ut3 maps will show up which run fine on those cards but if you try them on the ps3 or something they will be almost unplayable...

Ok..... First of all Computers are far more powerful than any console out there. Computers will always be far more powerful than any console out there. I'd say the current consoles power is probably equal to about a 6-7 hundred dollar PC today if not cheaper. The 8800 video cards are far beyond anything the consoles have, memory is not an issue on PCs like it is on consoles.

Soggy_Popcorn

THE Irish Ninja
Feb 3, 2008
PC Gaming will NOT die out anytime soon, due to a lot of gamers wanting more than the generic, limited experience found on consoles. However, Epic and others don't seem to realize this, and find it more profitable to (effectively) abandon PCs.

I believe this to be a huge mistake, as in the coming years, PC gaming will become magnificently easier and cheaper due to the outstanding progress seen in GPUs/CPUs and their combinations. Also, bye bye Directx!! In short, I will have plenty of fun on other games, and probably not miss Epic. GG. :rolleyes:

Armagon917

TOAST
Mar 6, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
yeah but I have to say Gears of War 2 is gonna be awesome and I admit I am really looking forward to it. But on your other points for the most part I would tend to agree. But I won't say I won't buy their games ... I am just not going to buy them for multiple platforms as I have done in the past. Now I think it will be just for the 360 and no more Epic PC games past UT3 ... I really believe that UT4 on the PS3 and 360 is going to be an amazing product and I bet Epic will have a map editor for that platform ... I really believe that. UE4 is targeted for consoles so why should it be otherwise?

Yeah I'm looking forward to Gears 2 as well. Thats why I'm going to rent it. I'm very disappointed because I had a team together to make 100 percent custom maps for UT3 and Gears on PC. I had a guy on sound effects adn music in Reason 3.0, I had painted nearly a dozen high resolution concept art pieces and was going to do texture work and modeling. I had another guy in Z-brush ready to do organics or anything extremely complex which would require an app like Z-brush.

So I had a great team and was let down twice leaving no good option for me to make a great map using Unreal Engine 3 as very few people are playing Gears on PC or UT3 right now. Its just not worth the time and effort it would take to make a 100 percent custom map being my focus is getting it to a large player base. So we decided it wasn't worth it to do just as a portfolio piece as we are all hardcore gamers and have a passion for it. Thats what its about for us.

I'm wondering how an editor and a complete custom asset set for a map would be done on a console. We would have to get 3ds Max/Maya and Photoshop on there or be forced to use premade assets that shipped witht he game. As an artist that is my worst nitemare. So thats kinda why my words are venomous I guess. The new features vid of Unreal Engine 3 was salt in an open wound as well.

I am by no means telling any of you guys what to do (and you guys wouldn't give a sh** hahaha anyways). I mean that jokingly. Just kinda explaining my perspective and why this is all bad news for me. I actually enjoy working on content for games more then playing them.

BBurkart, Hell's Highway looks great and I can't wait to play that game. When I perfect my high-poly work I actually plan to try and land a job at Gerarbox through the cogs program. I'd love to work there... that must be awesome.

Last edited: