Epic Launches UT Facebook Page

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
Not holding my breath this time. UT is dead to me until proven otherwise. Besides, any sequel would be on the iPad most likely the way things are going.

EDIT: Actually, it'll probably be an online flash game. Say goodbye to custom maps and mods.

Last edited:

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
The referenced stickskills article presents the question of what you would like to see in a new game. Personally I would like to see ut3 or better visuals and gameplay mechanics that are a blend of UT99 and UT2k4. UT2k4 custom content ease with with next features and power. Now is that too much to ask hmmm? .... yeah probably is.

Wowbagger

Curing the infection...
May 20, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
I have started to play UT3 again recently, mostly TAM/BTA.
But my god what an uptight, unfriendly, elitist, humorless bunch of kids it is thats still playing the game.

Its very fun to repeatedly Goo them though.

Regarding a new UT im doubtfull if i even want Epic to touch that but who knows, maybe theres still a click of people there that could make something i would be willing to pay for.

nELsOn

bSnakeCastShadow = True
Aug 18, 2005
on a plane
www.nelsonmaps.wordpress.com
But my god what an uptight, unfriendly, elitist, humorless bunch of kids it is thats still playing the game.

And that is basically the reason I hardly ever play online at all. It seems like the majority of people who are playing online are doing it to either insult other people (and their mothers...) or are taking things way too serious. Like "OMG if I mess this round up I'm never gonna go pro and make a living playing games!" :(

As for a new UT - I'd like to see that happen but yeah, not holding my breath. If they do it I hope they schedule enough time after a closed/open beta to include player feedback in the final product ^^

Severin

Feb 8, 2008
Do *you* like Unreal Tournament? Wonder what could happen someday if there was enough interest.

Nope. (Liked)

If Epic had shown more interest in properly developing and supporting the last version, there probably would be enough interest.

Last edited:

Bgood

Oct 30, 2010
UT3 kinda let the franchise down ,Console/PC mongrel that it was.

They must know that there's huge residual interest out there in the franchise. I mean, everyone's heard of UT, right? And a "good" '9/10 - 10/10' rated UT would no doubt sell millions.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
A new UT? Meh, I don't care about UT anymore, I played the series to death and I'm over the competitive thing so it doesn't hold my interest at all. Even if they did make another one, they'd find a way to screw it up like they did with UT3.

Go&nd

Meow
Jul 3, 2002
Visit site
My guess is that they've looked at Free-to-Play business models like Quake Live, Team Fortress 2 and Tribes Ascend (which has done well despite still being in beta) and decided the Unreal Tournament brand would be perfect for a continually profitable F2P product.

This would allow them to profit while still in beta, while also empowering them to iterate their beta with feedback from the community.

Despite the skepticism you might read in a hardcore fan forum like this, I think there's an installed based of loyalty to the Unreal Tournament franchise that could make this model work great for them.

(1) Based on brand recognition, high press visibility and brand loyalty, they could probably break even or maybe even profit before they're out of beta.

(2) Based on the number of people who still visit forums like these or who still play the original Unreal Tournament nearly 13 years later or UT2004 nearly 8 years later, I'm guessing they won't find it hard to harpoon a few "whales".

("Whales" in the F2P market are customers who, over the course of their time with the game and through tons of microtransactions, end up spending way more on the game than the standard one-time purchase price of a game. So you make $200 over 25 months with several small transactions compared to just $49.99 in one single transaction.)

The benefit to us would be that this would inevitably be PC-centric.

ChookWoods

Jun 19, 2005
my bet is they will release "UT Live" and have UT3 free to play online through flash with a similar model as Quake Live.

StalwartUK

Feb 12, 2008
England
Guess this just means that they'll just trot out yet another Unreal Tournament... I'll pass.

If they made a proper Unreal game though, that would really be something.