Unreal PSX

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
I started doing something with the polished conversion plans (just for test), I exported the very first map and reimported it with normal textures (except for skybox, because it used skyboxpsx and the textures doesn't exist in normal skybox, only diehard would help here I guess with making the unique very low res textures packages which are about 64x64 each bigger). There are homs though which I can't seem to fix, can't find the right value to do it, if I fixed them then there was an impassable collision problem.
I wonder where did I read these tips lately, oh well.

Really these PSX maps are hell to rebuild, I knew this even with Kagle's maps. They must have used something else to rebuild, well too bad the editor that was provided doesn't work with me.

Also all the wall chunks etc will have default texture unless fixed, just as Kagle's reworked maps originally had. Why? Because the psx texture packages used different group names and it looks right for that in the class, so that's why.

Last edited:

Creavion

Aug 27, 2005
Germany, Niedersachsen
As like with the stock maps of ut or unreal itself. In some maps you can see complex semi-solid constructions, normally impossible for us to render correctly. I also would say it can be assumed that the developer did not use the unrealeds rebuilding tools.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Grr, I had it working but I overwrote it, because there still was small hom, now it gives me bigger problem of one waterzone leaking where it doesn't belong or alternatively not being even there. Sigh....I am beginning to hate that rebuilding, but why...why did i overwrite it? I forgot what exactly i used for the rebuild, I think I had minimize cuts at 4, then I added it at good instead of optimal, rebuilt only bsp and then something else and it worked right, but now I can't get it to reproduce this way again....sigh I guess I will give out that map if someone else can try his luck in rebuilding it.

Diehard

If needed add more invisible zones, to block any BSP/HOM caused from remote areas. Though i admit they are a pain in the ass while still working in the editor cause they block your view in the editor.

But you could add more zones to it to test if that solves BSP's/HOM. And if they do, remove them again and keep working on the remaining parts of the map. And when all work is done re-ad them again and check if all BSP's/HOM are gone.

And indeed if the the packages differ from Unreal/UT stock packages its a smart idea to rename them like DecayedSPSX or something, so no conflicts will occur down the pipeline.

And sure i am willing to help, but needs to be said, last weeks i have been only but ill. Too ill to do anything decent, so if i am able to do anything, it all goes horrible slow.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
If needed add more invisible zones, to block any BSP/HOM caused from remote areas. Though i admit they are a pain in the ass while still working in the editor cause they block your view in the editor.

But you could add more zones to it to test if that solves BSP's/HOM. And if they do, remove them again and keep working on the remaining parts of the map. And when all work is done re-ad them again and check if all BSP's/HOM are gone.

And indeed if the the packages differ from Unreal/UT stock packages its a smart idea to rename them like DecayedSPSX or something, so no conflicts will occur down the pipeline.

And sure i am willing to help, but needs to be said, last weeks i have been only but ill. Too ill to do anything decent, so if i am able to do anything, it all goes horrible slow.

Err they already have unique names (and DecayedS is called DecayPSX), if you checked the test packages (it has only the files required to run the maps) I uploaded for smirftsch if he can export the T3D. Turns out he couldn't, I can't open these maps in editor nor anywhere else
Leo_T_C_K/Unreal_PSXtest.rar

Leo_T_C_K/Unreal_PSXtest2.rar

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
there still was small hom, now it gives me bigger problem of one waterzone leaking where it doesn't belong or alternatively not being even there. Sigh....I am beginning to hate that rebuilding, but why...why did i overwrite it? I forgot what exactly i used for the rebuild, I think I had minimize cuts at 4, then I added it at good instead of optimal, rebuilt only bsp and then something else and it worked right, but now I can't get it to reproduce this way again....sigh I guess I will give out that map if someone else can try his luck in rebuilding it.

I get the same thing when rebuilding my WoT Test map. I got the water to work correctly, but other parts of the world have HOMs/see-through faces now... But the most puzzling for me is the fact that it rebuilds the map without brushes. Seriously, the Shadar Logoth part of the map doesn't have a single brush! Yet you can see it, as you see from the version I uploaded. It looks like the polys are there, but the brush is not... And clicking on "rebuild all" makes the water zones work, yet deletes the orphan polys and makes lighting very dim (it seems that with rebuilding one by one, it actually didn't forget the fact that there were SunLight actors in the map, which is very odd).
So yea, try rebuilding not via the "rebuild all" button, but use the three buttons individually.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Btw I am having strange artifacts in glide/opengl on E3L6 through skybox flickering the walls behind it etc, besides skyboxes look bette r(suns have weird borders around it in opengl etc and clouds are often not seen because its all so bright) and textures too on software rendering it doesnt make them all blurry or white. So if you will play unreal psx i suggest you try using softdrv with maximal settings, trust me it looks much better with it.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
afaik something similar was in ONP with a nali, too.

Can't recall it, I recall Nali being killed by Skaarj with a laser gun, but a crusher crushing Nali which you trigger yourself? Besides in this you can easily trap players and crush them.
If anyone can elaborate on this, I am listening where in ONP was something similar.
There is a secret level btw, I just played it, what a strange trip lol. It's almost as crazy as the ONP secrets by DavidM, seriously. :lol:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Perhaps it WAS his?

DavidM? No, not really, I talked about Elya's levels here. The E3L6bonuslevel is that secret map.
But DavidM got influenced by Unreal PSX based on waht he has heard from eVOLVE I suppose. I mean the Vortex Rikers revisit stuff etc...

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Temporary version was released, but I am giving this one only to people who have original Unreal, please email me at
Code:
leo_tck (at) volny (dot) cz

Rather than sending pms, if you can't wait for the proper release.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
The real distribution to public was just gonna be released now, but right now a "tragedy" got in a way, so you'll have to wait for that one a bit. Or if you want it so badly, mail me.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
I've got final update of NPscript for the 225 plus and UT maps, or for the future conversions or the MH maps, this one works perfectly, cameras are updated online, hides hud etc....
You can try with the two mh upsx maps or any upsx maps when you trigger the camera event, also is added new actor which may be in some upsx maps I will port later.
Enjoy

DieHard you can put this into the official UPSX section, this final update I mean.

http://www.unrealtexture.com/Hosted/Leo_T_C_K/NPScriptFinal.rar

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Its added.

Thx, but I got some bad news, it seems after .:..:'s latest update one cutscene doesn't work right, it doesn't switch to the other cameras.
So there is gonne be one more update....sigh...but the old file will be just updated and rewritten.

When you press all four switches in the generator in the triangle ship, it doesn't switch to the other cameras anymore during the final sequence you can't see the air duct opening nor there is view to the laser anymore....

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Sorry guys, official released delayed for few days, until I will get back, there are builders working on this building reconstructing stuff and changing windows and they'll be doing this room tomorrow early, so I have to disconnect all the stuff.

The second distribution is done so I am sorry to cut this off so early.

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
I have tested all the levels and here are my findings so far...

Episode number: 1
Level number: 1
Level title: Nali Village
Author: Nathan "natestah" Silvers
Sections done: 3
Enemies: Existent in section 3
Items: Existent
Finishing percentage: 60%
Notes: Well, there is music, there are Nali. Seems to be a normal exploration introductory level to me. This would require merging and general bugfixing so that one level is formed.

Level number: 2
Level title: Into the Vortex
Author: Eric C. Reuter
Sections done: 1
Enemies: Existent
Finishing percentage: 75%?
Notes: Level requires general debugging and finishing. Another level needs to be done, where the player is challenged by Iris before earning her trust.

Level number: 4
Level title: Nali Village Revisited
Author: Nathan "natestah" Silvers
Enemies: Nonexistent
Finishing percentage: 30%?
Notes: Level requires finishing. This only contains the cave, not the village itself.

Level number: 5
Level title: Power Facility
Finishing percentage: 30%?
Notes: This is definitely unfinished. Requires finishing so that it will fit in the next level.

Level number: 6
Level title: Nali Temple
Author: John W. Anderson
Finishing percentage: 20%
Notes: The level is definitely unfinished and it can be seen. The latest version is E1L6F, but still...

Level number: 7
Level title: Rites of Passage
Enemies: Existent (bots)
Finishing percentage: 90%?!
Notes: I'd say this lacks only some scripts to make it fully part of the story as some of Elya's notes suggest there is a deathmatch in place before the final map IIRC. Well, apart from that, this can be finished as a DM map too, just botpathing needs to be implemented. As far as the single player campaign goes, another map needs to be made to finish this episode.

Episode number: 2
Level number: 1
Level title: Technical Complex
Author: Jakub Kisiel
Sections done: 2
Finishing percentage: 50%
Notes: This needs to be tied into the next as well as previous level and populated. And finished because it most obviously ISN'T, even geometry-wise. Also, the sections need to be merged into one file.

Level number: 2
Level title: Stalactite Cathedral
Author: Jeff Rubin
Finishing percentage: 40%?
Notes: Sections need to be merged and the level finished as well as tied into the next one.

Level number: 3
Level title: Pilgrim
Author: Ilya "Elya Iceking" Isaykin
Finishing percentage: 75%
Notes: I believe that this is still missing a section or two and they need to be merged, too. There is another level, number 4 missing and it will probably need to be done to tie this level into level 5.

Level title: Mousetrap
Finishing percentage: 75%
Notes: This needs to be fixed overall and merged as well as tied into the next level.

Level title: Secret Laboratory
Author: Matthew Kagle
Finishing percentage: 90%
Notes: The reworked maps are already perfectly playable, but it seems that whatever they were originally meant to be is somehow partially lost. Several features need to be restored.

Level number: 7
Level title: Inside J'Rath's Ship
Author: Matthew Kagle
Notes: The reworked maps are already perfectly playable, but it seems that whatever they were originally meant to be is somehow partially lost. Several features need to be restored. There is one thing though, one of the maps seems to crash for some reason.

Episode number: 3
Level number: 3
Level title: Barran Approach
Author: Terry Greer
Sections done: 6
Finishing percentage: 80%
Notes: Feels empty, although it is populated. It needs to be finished and merged into one mapfile.

Level number: 4
Level title: Mothership Zone 1
Notes: Seems that it just needs to be merged and overall bugfixed.

Level title: Mothership Terrarium
Notes: Seems that it just needs to be merged and overall bugfixed.

Level title: Mothership Zone 3
Sections done: 5 (including bonus section)
Notes: Seems that it just needs to be merged and overall bugfixed. Well, all right... perhaps this should be split into E3L6 and E3L7 because it fluently joins up with E3L8 and if it does, then where did E3L7 go?

Level number: 8
Level title: Final Control Deck
Author: James "eVOLVE" Hamer-Morton
Notes: The sequence with the buttons guarded by two Skaarj can hang in place. After that, in the room with the Nali, nothing is going on when the buttons are pushed. Finishing touches, obviously.

Episode number:
Level number:
Level title: Temple of Purification
Items: Nonexistent
Notes: Populating. Items. Finish the level and stick it somewhere it might fit. For now, it is only named Temple7.

Episode number:
Level number:
Level title: LEVEL07
Enemies: Bots only if someone finishes this.
Items: Nonexistent
Notes: Geometry buggy at times. No items or weapons placed. Obviously, this is a symetrical DM level that needs to be finished to shine.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

In general, this seems to me like a late alpha at best. There is a large portion of the game missing, perhaps 20%-30% levelwise, there are no cutscenes, story is practically unwritten and of course, there is no voice acting. Perhaps, should we see more levels, it will be easier to finish this project on a Windows PC platform, but there is still quite a way to it I believe.

Screenshots will follow soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.