Is anyone else worried of ut2k7?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Babar

nbk-ruCkus
Feb 7, 2004
During the main video, a man from Epic said that ut2k7 would be "easier for noobs to compete against the pros". Does that scare anyone else except for me? I dont know, it just seems like it could be turning into a Halo2 type of game. Graphics > Gameplay. Why would they want such a small gap in between noobs and pros? Of course, so noobs don't get turned off but maybe make a level sort of deal where u only play people of your own level(if you wanted to you could play people of different levels) but why bring down the whole multiplayer by making the pro's ultimate skill weaker? Would this make clan matches more based on luck like spawn positioning, etc.

What are your thoughts

Sijik

Snagged an item.
Aug 27, 2004
All Hallows Sunset
People need to get over his whole pro thing. It's a videogame for Pete's sake. Besides, if they make it just for "pros" they'll severely limit their userbase. And anyway, most "pros" are only "pro" at one game, and often one gametype, under specific conditions, with specific teammates... Let the rest of us have a game we can play adn have fun in, if they're really that "pro" they'll adapt.
They also have mentioned a number of times how they're building the levels for gameplay first, and then adding the pretty stuff once it's polished for gameplay...

Last edited:

Automatic Kafka

with automatic shutoff
Dec 16, 2005
Universe City
What do you think they're planning on doing exactly? Making all the weapons lock on? Disable jumping? You're getting worked up over nothing. What he means is that UT2007 is a clean slate as far as competitive play goes. They're redrawing the line in the sand so that everyone has to start from scratch again.

The only aspect of UT2007 i'm worried about is the watering down of Warfare.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
The Strength of Our Future Lies in Our Past.

Babar said:
During the main video, a man from Epic said that ut2k7 would be "easier for noobs to compete against the pros". Does that scare anyone else except for me?

I can understand what you mean when it comes to being worried, the last thing Epic needs to do is over-compensate on the learning curve balance.

But, I do think Epic have a point. One of the things that UT99 was very good at, was that the learning curve wasn't particularly steep. It took a short time to learn, but at the same time, it took a lot of work to master. It effectively meant that newer players stood a better chance. UT2003/4 had a very harsh learning curve, and a lot of the features of the game (such as slow run speed, and low power weapons) made the game very tough for new players. It's been cited - rightly, in my opinion - as a reason for the fact that UT2003/4 couldn't attract new players, despite the huge popularity of the demos. There were more than 30,000 people playing the UT2004 demo, but very soon those figures dropped like a stone because new players weren't sticking around.

Epic need to get the learning curve much neaer to UT99's. They need to make a game that's easier to learn and play, but they also need a game that has the depth to be attractive to the established community. There has to be a balance, and UT2004 got it badly, badly wrong by leaving new players out in the cold. The game needs to be easier on new players, or it's doomed to failiure.

Having said it, it's notable that the UT99 competitive community (in Europe at least) is significantly larger than UT2004's. Simplicity sometimes is the best option.

SlipStreams_65

User Titles are Useless.
Dec 29, 2005
Kingdom of boredom
Only thing Im really worried about is what its going to do to my PC..

Epic has stressed many times that 2k7 will be much more in-your-face and less "floaty". Ive never played UT99 but would welcome less sniping and more close-up and personal flakking.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
... Epic need to get the learning curve much neaer to UT99's. ...
That's impossible because of one simple factor : time.

UT'99 wasn't easy because it was 'simple'.
It was "easy" because there was nothing else that could compete so you could spent ages at getting 'good' at it.

It definitely was NOT EASY from a newbies point of view (dodging & shieldgun- and translocator-tactics are impossible to learn offline in UT'99). There's no way a newbie can survive on a UT'99-server at this moment, because the average player on there is going to outrank them by a mile.

Also keep in mind that anyone who's played anything in the UT-series already has an advantage as he/she is aware of some seemingly trivial concepts (like shock-combo). And worst of all ... most won't realise how difficult such concepts are in reality to a non-gamer/non-Unreal-addict.

Even if Epic were to make this the most newbie-friendly game in the world ... any of the so-called 'pro'-community is going to make mince-meat out of them before the newbie even realises what's going on.

IMHO what Epic & the community as it is really needs to do is to admit that this is never going to be a newbie-friendly game.(period)
Even if they (Epic) covered all the currently known tactics with a combination of manuals and interactive lessons. The simple fact is that there is a hell of a lot to learn and most gamers won't have the time nor are they going to want to spent that much time on a mere game.

In short : there is no reason at all for the "pro"-community to fear that any dumbing down will occur.
I'd say that quite the opposite is true and ought to be feared. And that is that the game has become far too complex for newbies to grasp. Therefor there is going to be only a very small amount of new blood available to enrich the community as it is. And that's not taking into account the new/higher hardware demands this game is going to have.

Monster Kill

Ya know, all I hope is that it's really close to UT2003/Unreal Championship as far as gameplay goes. I mean, UC wasn't a very hard game to pick up and play but once you were a master, you were a master. As long as it's fun tho, I don't really care. I'll still find a way to pwn up on those dang n00bzorz lol.

I didn't think that UT2003 was that hard to pick up and play right off the bat tho. UC2 was the hard one for me (I'm still not very good at it). I guess it's all just a matter of opinion...

Last edited by a moderator:

EggBoy

Apr 26, 2005
I remember some epic guy saying that they are making the game just as much fun for new/casual players as well as UT veterans (better word than 'pros' :p). I think that is a very good thing, because it seems to me like the player base of current UT games are all the old skool vets who didn't jump to CS after UT99/Quake3.

Sure anyone can pick up and play a UT game... if they play against easy bots, but as soon as they go online they get owned and its not really fun and they quit. I remember the epic guy said they wanna make it just as much fun to get owned, as it is to own, so people will stick with the game and hopefully get better.

I really think what they mean to do is make the game fun for all, not nessesarily make it so noobs competing with pros can acutally be effective against them straight away

Last edited:

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
^ Truth.

Really, why should someone who's just started playing a game be able to (somewhat consistently) take out a veteran of the series? He shouldn't, for the most part, save for the random shots and times when he catches him off guard. There is not really anything horribly wrong with UT2004's gameplay; the big issue comes from all of the smaller issues adding up to a game that is not fun to lose at. If a game isn't fun to lose at, people simply will not stick with it nine times out of ten. Why would they stick around and try to learn to win at a game they don't like currently?

That said, I am worried that Epic will f**k it up. I mean, just look at their stance on its name. Something so simple and something so obviously retarded, yet they refuse to not call it UT2007. I'm praying for the best, but I'm expecting the worst, to be honest.

At least if it sucks I won't have to upgrade my computer, because this is the only game of worth for which I'd spend the money. If the next UT sucks, Xbox 360 and/or PS3, here I come! PC gaming is on its way out anyway. :)

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Hope's hanging on... just...

Turns2Ashes said:
That said, I am worried that Epic will f**k it up. I mean, just look at their stance on its name. Something so simple and something so obviously retarded, yet they refuse to not call it UT2007. I'm praying for the best, but I'm expecting the worst, to be honest.

Likewise :(

I guess E3 will show us just how right/wrong Epic's going to get it.

Scuzzbuster

It's Crunchy. It's Nice.
Jan 28, 2001
Indiana, USA
www.deviantknowledge.com
Good points. What makes the game not fun to lose ARE standard tactics that most veterans use and are generally accepted among veterans in the community. Fact is, as irritating as it is, in competitive TDM it's acceptable to rape/camp spawn points and camp/time(in most cases) powerups. Spamming shock combos at a spawn point, crap like that. What makes the game not fun to lose is when you are instantly killed within seconds of spawning half the time or better. If you don't even have time to pick up a weapon, you f***king hate this game after playing a couple of times.

On the other side of the coin, these tactics are not even an issue when you're playing in a server of advanced or semi-advanced players most of the time...and I'm not cracking on old timers or pro-TDMers, it's just the way it is.

There's no real way for Epic to "dumb" down this game for new players. The more you play, the better you'll get and that will always be the case. There will always be a gap between the guys that play hours a day and the guys that pick it up occasionally. If there's anything they can do to help new players at least get a running start from spawn, that would be a plus, but it's not going to keep skilled players from owning.

The shield gun was one attempt to do this...just didn't work out that way.

Last edited:

HardcorexxX

(.)(.)
Jan 31, 2006
Well these days people are starting to use the wrod pro like it doesnt mean anything, your not a pro unless your sponsored. There are obvious exception but we know who those people are.

UT is simply not popular these days, now that gaming has moved into the crap land of MTV and mainstream lamness your average gamer is now so completely stupid pointing and clicking and the concept of movment prediction is so far above their meager mental capacity that no high speed twich based game will ever be popular again or enjoy nearly as much sucess as a buggy laggy ww2 game with bad movment and lots of wall glitches

Last edited:

War Penguin

In A War With The Penguins .. Im Loseing
Apr 3, 2005
Duluth, GA
www.freewebs.com
HardcorexxX said:
Well these days people are starting to use the wrod pro like it doesnt mean anything, your not a pro unless your sponsored. There are obvious exception but we know who those people are.

UT is simply not popular these days, now that gaming has moved into the crap land of MTV and mainstream lamness your average gamer is now so completely stupid pointing and clicking and the concept of movment prediction is so far above their meager mental capacity that no high speed twich based game will ever be popular again or enjoy nearly as much sucess as a buggy laggy ww2 game with bad movment and lots of wall glitches
:lol: :lol: :lol: Yes this is all true but if epic actually took the time to listen to the vets that PLAY AND BUY the game then they would now how the game is liked and why it is played

nuff said:eek:

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
Were Epic not going to include a ranking system that matched players with players of similar skill level, so not too make it too easy or too hard, just based on your skill level

EggBoy

Apr 26, 2005
Main ways Epic will make the game more fun for noobs (and more fun to loose):
- Mind blowing graphics/sound, spectacular deaths, powerful feeling weapons; so at least there is something to look at.
- More 'in your face' so at least you can see who killed you, and how.
- Toned down dodging/jumping.
- More 'down to earth' map locations, less abstract sci-fi stuff, more cohesive storyline, better singleplayer experience.
- Ranking system to match up online games?

HardcorexxX

(.)(.)
Jan 31, 2006
My faith in epic's ability to implement a functional practical useful rating system = :umno:

The only thing that would make ut more noob friendly is an xbox controler and auto aim....F the noobs

Last edited:

War Penguin

In A War With The Penguins .. Im Loseing
Apr 3, 2005
Duluth, GA
www.freewebs.com
EggBoy said:
fun for noobs (and more fun to loose):

LoL yeah but noobs (once i was a noob (4 years ago(i had to do a thrd one(i had to do a fourth one)))) but my friends a noob and hes startin out with the shock and lightning and hes doin quite well but in ut2007 ... im grabin my shock rifle and showin noobs its dien time :shock: <--ME Them-->X_X