Epic Launches UT Facebook Page

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
- Cut as much crap between the player and the action as possible.

Zero time to spectacle ring a bell? Okay, not funny.

- Make it easy to connect and communicate to/with both friends and unknown players with all the various way thats possible these days.

Hello, Gamespy. Cough, er, choke, gag, etc.

Honestly, I am unsure how you would do this in a way that would keep the gamers from having to put up with the likes of GS or other such crap. The costs of creating and maintaining such an animal independently might be financially and otherwise feasible for Epic, but the lack of a known viable customer-base might not give them the impetus to go forth with such an idea. Just a guess on my part.

- Embrace the modding community (make it easier to install maps etc)

Perhaps an actual content installer embedded in the game that allows packages to be installed in the correct folders, etc., instead of forcing the user to manually hack text files, figure out what goes where, etc. I could see this function being part of the menu, so that no executables would be transferred or kicked off outside the game, thus eliminating possible user operating system security headaches and such.

- Do NOT remove standard PC features

And buck the trend? You heretic!

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Well actually it depends - the UT2k4 gameplay works well in the more open larger scale maps imho and the UT3 gameplay works in the tighter DM ones. Whether they'd consider tweaking the mechanics between the two idk.
If you mean "UT2k4 works well with hitscan poopiness and nothing else, and UT3 works with everything" then sure, I agree. In UT2k4 you have to learn exactly two weapons, lightning and shock. In UT3 if that is all you know you will die and die often.
Having enjoyed and played both extensively, then having taken a long break from both. I found Ut2k4 takes longer to get competitive at again , suggesting more depth to the skill set required.
UT2k4 forces you to have perfect aim and know exactly how to move properly. It's not depth, it's extreme focus on a limited set of skills.
What I'm trying to say is, UT3's fast pace, combined reduced player agility(due to the nerfed dodge) took a lot of the fun and artistry out of it.
There is no real "artistry" involved. If you don't believe me, try playing against someone who is truly good at aiming like JD. While you are busy dancing around the map, he'll be walking around popping your head off without hardly moving at all.
For the next UT, you could have the most beautiful worlds ever created, but if the player moves like a brick, i.e, if that gameplay skill set depth isn't there, it'd be unlikely to garner a huge following.
Frankly, the depth of the gameplay doesn't matter that much. The gameplay in UT3 is fine. If UT2004 had been released in the shambled state UT3 was released in, that game would have failed, too. It has almost nothing to do with the gameplay.

Sure, some people who started with UT2004 thought UT3 gameplay was so bad because you couldn't float around the map like a bee and sting people's heads with the lightning gun, but, mostly, the game just didn't work right at launch and there were a multitude of other problems that made people just not want to bother with the game.

I'm actually quite confident that UT3 sold over a million copies on PC after all was said and done with all the sales it has had, but you can see how many people had their attention held by the game after buying it by looking at the player numbers.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Zero time to spectacle ring a bell? Okay, not funny.

Hello, Gamespy. Cough, er, choke, gag, etc.

Honestly, I am unsure how you would do this in a way that would keep the gamers from having to put up with the likes of GS or other such crap. The costs of creating and maintaining such an animal independently might be financially and otherwise feasible for Epic, but the lack of a known viable customer-base might not give them the impetus to go forth with such an idea. Just a guess on my part.

Perhaps an actual content installer embedded in the game that allows packages to be installed in the correct folders, etc., instead of forcing the user to manually hack text files, figure out what goes where, etc. I could see this function being part of the menu, so that no executables would be transferred or kicked off outside the game, thus eliminating possible user operating system security headaches and such.

Show and awe! Steam already solves all of these problems!

Wowbagger

Curing the infection...
May 20, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
Show and awe! Steam already solves all of these problems!

It seems Gearbox has realised this, heres hoping that Epic will too.

Yea i know, im wierd :)

I dunno, maybe im way too optimistic but i think the games that will be released now until the next console generation will be more to our tastes.

Last edited:

Firefly

United Kingdom is not a country.
Dead%20Horse.jpg

Bgood

Oct 30, 2010
UT2k4 forces you to have perfect aim and know exactly how to move properly. It's not depth, it's extreme focus on a limited set of skills.

I don't think this is some big dispute, I'm not a fanboy of one over the other , I like both. And as I commented UT3 DM > UT2k4 DM mostly imho .

There is no real "artistry" involved. If you don't believe me, try playing against someone who is truly good at aiming like JD. While you are busy dancing around the map, he'll be walking around popping your head off without hardly moving at all.

Played against the top players in both UT3 and UT2004. And honestly that wasn't the experience. UT2k4 is overly hitscan dominated ,I agree totally. But it was more a case of the other weapons being underpowered and useless against hitscan. UT3's RL and Link are far more potent at mid range. And that tweak would have been enough . If anything, the Stinger and splash damage area of the rox in Ut3 make those overpowered, so it's a difficult balance.

Frankly, the depth of the gameplay doesn't matter that much. The gameplay in UT3 is fine. If UT2004 had been released in the shambled state UT3 was released in, that game would have failed, too. It has almost nothing to do with the gameplay.

I agree, they messed up with the missing features and bugs.

Sure, some people who started with UT2004 thought UT3 gameplay was so bad because you couldn't float around the map like a bee and sting people's heads with the lightning gun, but, mostly, the game just didn't work right at launch and there were a multitude of other problems that made people just not want to bother with the game.

It's a complex, mixed bag of reasons , no doubt.

I'm actually quite confident that UT3 sold over a million copies on PC after all was said and done with all the sales it has had, but you can see how many people had their attention held by the game after buying it by looking at the player numbers.

Indeed. And that's my point really. It's been patched into pretty good shape over the years and was even relaunched as UT3 black ( the less said about the console targeted Titan addition the better). But it still didn't catch on, suggesting a more fundamental rethink may be needed.

Some claim they should just launch a UT4 which borrows the UT3 gameplay ; basically a patched up version of UT3 without missing features, using the latest UE build. However, UT3's relative failure to hold on to players compared to older UTs is real and can't all be put down to its state at release .

Last edited:

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
I think it is absolutely useful weapon if used right - and I'm not talking about spamming blades all over the place. It is part of signature UT arsenal.

I agree. It was a lot of fun.

Speaking of fun; it sounds to me like Cliff B was bored and decided to Tweet around............... ;)

Once again Facebook damages society. :lol:

Crusha K. Rool

Coding Crocodile
Sep 27, 2011
Germany
wiki.beyondunreal.com
WAR could be basically better than ONS if:
  • it would not have those annoying Orbs that not only make a node invulnerable against damage but instantly change it's owner.
  • you could transport your team mates on the Manta (yeah, I know, the Hoverboard is now supposed to be used for that, but it makes you a sitting duck and extremely easy to knock off just by the terrain).
  • other people could not suddenly take control of the AVRiL missile that you fired and guide it to what they think is the best target.
  • the maps would be at least a bit tactically designed, with more than just linear link setups, and less to show off some gimmicky Kismet features to make it feel like Assault.
  • Axon and Necris vehicles would be balanced against each other or at least not be used on completely symmetrical maps.

Severin

Feb 8, 2008
WAR could be basically better than ONS if:

It also required a lack of lazy map making. (how many versions of Torlan do you need)

Some proper variation (not just rush node one, rush node two, kill base and the occasional gimmick node thrown in) Even when the maps were not tiny one route affairs almost all the action took place in pretty much a straight line with most of the map getting little to no use.

Vehicles that worked correctly. Did they ever sort out the aiming and collision bugs ?

Finally not spending their time on gimmicks like the slow field or an 'adviser' that gave bad advice and more time fixing flaws in game play like dissolving vehicles having collision detection, broken turrets (graphic for turret being in a completely different location to the actual turret) and a mechanism for ensuring that teams had some semblance of balance.

I did like the hoverboard it was about the only genuine improvement over ONS.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Played against the top players in both UT3 and UT2004. And honestly that wasn't the experience. UT2k4 is overly hitscan dominated ,I agree totally. But it was more a case of the other weapons being underpowered and useless against hitscan. UT3's RL and Link are far more potent at mid range. And that tweak would have been enough . If anything, the Stinger and splash damage area of the rox in Ut3 make those overpowered, so it's a difficult balance.
The reason RL and practically every other weapon is "underpowered" in UT2k4 is precisely because of the movement. The movement is what makes it hitscan friendly, and not only is that true, but the "nerfing" of the movement from UT2003 -> UT2004 made it even more hitscan friendly. Basically the game is a hitscanners paradise.

In UT3, you can basically spam whatever and eventually kill someone. This is never true in UT2k4 and never will be. Immediately the barrier to entry is significantly higher. UT3 has far better weapon balance overall than any previous entry in UT (yes, even UT, because it was tuned to 100+ pings). Could it be tweaked? Probably. But it's far better than anything else.
Indeed. And that's my point really. It's been patched into pretty good shape over the years and was even relaunched as UT3 black ( the less said about the console targeted Titan addition the better). But it still didn't catch on, suggesting a more fundamental rethink may be needed.
I'm positive that is not accurate at all. People don't watch games for patches that fix their problems with a game. If a game doesn't give them what they want how they want it the first time they play it, they move on. There is not a shortage of awesome games available right now, so a UT game needs to be excellent on release or it will suffer the same fate as UT3 did.

Add in all the other major/minor misses in the game and you just have a bag full of failures ranging anywhere from almost to utter and people who just give up on your game rather than try to suffer through it. Heck, the Gamespy functionality alone makes the game almost insufferable, and that is before you even get to the menu!
Some claim they should just launch a UT4 which borrows the UT3 gameplay ; basically a patched up version of UT3 without missing features, using the latest UE build. However, UT3's relative failure to hold on to players compared to older UTs is real and can't all be put down to its state at release .
Between the poor performance of the game on average rigs in 2007, the absolutely dark and dismal look of every map, and several other issues, I don't really feel like that is far off. If you've played the UT Demo contained in UDK, you see what the game could have been like (and, honestly, that demo is easily a better game than UT3 is even after all the patching). What are the big changes? Lightmass for lighting so generally brighter levels, excellent performance on fairly old computers, no Gamespy....

I'm not saying a one to one translation is a good idea. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. But the game didn't get a fair shake and, for most people, it literally had nothing to do with the gameplay.

Apr 11, 2006
I don't particularly care about a new Unreal Tournament, but a new Unreal game, with gameplay and lore consistent with Unreal 1, would be fun and great to see with modern tech.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
While I'm not sure I want to read too much into this new Facebook page, there is a panel at PAX East in a few weeks about Epic Games's history and future, along with a fan Q&A. The timing seems a little coincidental if you ask me.

Bgood

Oct 30, 2010
didn't we say all this already ?

Well , it looks like the wheels may be turning on a new UT..it's over 4 years since the last, so there is some news.

--------------------------------

Immediately the barrier to entry is significantly higher. UT3 has far better weapon balance overall than any previous entry in UT (yes, even UT, because it was tuned to 100+ pings). Could it be tweaked? Probably. But it's far better than anything else.

Tbh, I don't think barrier to entry or accessibility is as important a factor as it's made out to be, if a game's tough, yet 10/10 rated, it'll still have the potential to become hugely popular. Many who came from UT2k4 hated the randomness of UT3, in UT2004 a good player can take control , in UT3 the KD ratios tend to be more balanced with much more spam and unavoidable stuff.

[SCREENSHOT]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b378/omarfw123/285530_10150716942225038_511140037_19761009_6692588_n.jpg [/SCREENSHOT]

.. you've played the UT Demo contained in UDK, you see what the game could have been like (and, honestly, that demo is easily a better game than UT3 is even after all the patching). What are the big changes? Lightmass for lighting so generally brighter levels, excellent performance on fairly old computers, no Gamespy....

I'm not saying a one to one translation is a good idea. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. But the game didn't get a fair shake and, for most people, it literally had nothing to do with the gameplay.

Yeah , I played the maps in the UDK and I agree about lightmass , it's a revelation compared to stock lighting - revealing previously unnoticed detail in those maps. Although , many players never did like UT3's dull, limited color pallet or the goth grey on grey Necris theme to begin with . UT3 sure could have done with a few maps with the warmer colors of Ut2k4 and a more varied selectable playable characters.

Iirc , the Epic / Gamespy tie -in was in order to allow cross platform play PC vs PS3 via some joint tech , but needless to say that didn't happen. http://www.dailytech.com/Unreal+Engine+3+Licenses+GameSpy+for+PCPS3+CrossPlatform+Play/article8470.htm

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Tbh, I don't think barrier to entry or accessibility is as important a factor as it's made out to be, if a game's tough, yet 10/10 rated, it'll still have the potential to become hugely popular. Many who came from UT2k4 hated the randomness of UT3, in UT2004 a good player can take control , in UT3 the KD ratios tend to be more balanced with much more spam and unavoidable stuff.
It's a huge factor. I ran into new people in UT2004 all the time that quit the game after a few minutes with it. Most of the new people I met in UT3 at least played a few maps before they realized they didn't like it, probably even more of them played the game several times until they realized that it had so many flaws. After the way the game was reviewed, it was like pulling teeth to get people to even TRY the game.
[SCREENSHOT]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b378/omarfw123/285530_10150716942225038_511140037_19761009_6692588_n.jpg [/SCREENSHOT]
I don't get the point of posting this as it is talking about specifically FF13 but, more generally, series like Mass Effect. Even the Warfare maps in UT3 have plenty of area to cover even if they only encourage straight line combat.
Iirc , the Epic / Gamespy tie -in was in order to allow cross platform play PC vs PS3 via some joint tech , but needless to say that didn't happen. http://www.dailytech.com/Unreal+Engine+3+Licenses+GameSpy+for+PCPS3+CrossPlatform+Play/article8470.htm
Agreed. All I'm saying is that the integration didn't do them any favors and gave people yet another reason to hate the game.

Bgood

Oct 30, 2010
Until you find someone who can actually play the game. Good UT3 players will wreck you in ways UT2004 can only dream of.

I like both games.

UT3 DM > UT2004 DM imho. But imho ONS > WAR ... So it's not fanboyism.

Bgood

Oct 30, 2010
It's a huge factor. I ran into new people in UT2004 all the time that quit the game after a few minutes with it. Most of the new people I met in UT3 at least played a few maps before they realized they didn't like it, probably even more of them played the game several times until they realized that it had so many flaws. After the way the game was reviewed, it was like pulling teeth to get people to even TRY the game.

Yeah , it's complex , I tried to get people to play UT3 and many had never even heard of it. So releasing against better promoted games, along with the lack of a playable WAR demo, as per UT2004(ONS) didn't help either .

I don't get the point of posting this as it is talking about specifically FF13 but, more generally, series like Mass Effect. Even the Warfare maps in UT3 have plenty of area to cover even if they only encourage straight line combat.

Just to illustrate the point as to where devs giving too much ground on accessibility leads - no one wants a new UT that's like an on- rails shooter, or one that's more 'Titan' than Tournament.

Agreed. All I'm saying is that the integration didn't do them any favors and gave people yet another reason to hate the game

Yep the 'Gamespy down again' thing was a running joke.

Last edited:

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Absolute zero marketing didn't exactly do UT3 any favours either, nor did Midway insisting it release in November in time for Christmas - when it came out it was directly up against some some of the stiffest competition we've probably ever seen in one month: Modern Warfare, Crysis, Mass Effect, Quake Wars and the Orange Box.

People weren't even aware the game was on shelves, so the sales results in the first few months were pretty impressive considering. The problem however is that you just don't recover from an opening month like that, regardless of any other issues you have,