best free Win8.1 backup program?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
As you are aware by now, I have a new Asus Win8.1 laptop and now that I pretty much have all my programs installed and configured (no games yet, but soon), I would like to find out which backup program to use. Right now I just installed DriveImage XML and backed up my C: drive. It seemed to take longer than normal without compression, but it's lightweight and basic just how I like it. Apparently, Acronic True Image is the best, but it's not free. Eventually, I want to either get another HD installed inside or an external drive to use as a backup. Any thoughts on this? Thank you.

leilei

ANIME ELF'S !!
Jan 20, 2008
Then buy Acronis True Image?

I wouldn't trust most professional looking "free" backup programs out there BTW. Like 'spyware fixers' that's an application genre which is rife with scumware, since it's a perfect concept - to 'back up' your files (to their 'cloud' that is market research and advertising)

Some swear by some Linux distros dedicated to backing up like Clonezilla though but at that point, it's beyond an application.

Last edited:

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Yep, I'll probably end up buying True Image, but I'll roll with DriveImage for now and see how it goes. Besides, I need another drive (or possibly two) first, really.:)

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
Unless you have an SSD, use the Seagate or Western Digital editions of Acronis True Image.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
crashplan looks too fancy for me.;) I have no idea the brand of the HD but it's 750GB and....wait....WDC....must be Western Digital. OK, I'll get the WD version of True Image. Also, I just realized I did try True Image in the past. I noticed my work HD making weird noises about 4-5 years ago and DLed the free WD version and it helped me out changing out the HD for a new one.:)