Dreamcast maps?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Can someone please upload it anywhere else than at filefront? Filefront does not support my connection strangely or something............
I cannot download anything off that site and it sucks......

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
Well, if you have a photocamera that is decent enough to take pictures from tv screens, you could provide me them showing the item locations :p Kind of a hassle, true, but if you really want them we can solve this that way ;)
Lol, i would, but i've only got the ps2 version.
Here you go.

As I said this wasn't mean to be exactly like the original.
The original Spirito uses a custom red/blue brick texture that I don't (I use Ancient.utx textures instead), and a brown brick texture with no black delimitation line like the original Unreal texture iirc. Texture alignment orientation and scaling also may be different in some places, but overall, it's still Spirito.
I paid extra attention about bothpathing to recreate the same behaviour as PS2 but it's not exactly perfect. :[
I also spent much time making the lighting as close as possible to the original one.

Well, if someone wants to put the effort of making the custom textures needed and align all the textures like the original, feel free to go for it, 'cause I won't. :D
I can provide an identical version in items and brushwork if needed (mine has a tiny couple of changes... + the flak :D).

EDIT: screen!
And I need to update the map screenshot and the author's name as well. :þ

score! thanks a lot

Elegnaim

Sep 3, 2005
Erk. No offense to the mappers involved but some of the RA maps are a bit boring. I get the impression that they were generally geared at 1-on-1 play, but seriously, did 4 out of the 5 of Akuma's maps NEED to use essentially the same Morbias-lite architecture? Way too many symmetric maps in the set as a whole (or those featureless, circular arenas with 2 or 3 floors. Where's the fun in a 1-on-1 match if you can see your opponent 100% of the time?)

Wander

kittens give Morbo gas
Aug 11, 2008
Actually that's one of the reasons why I thought RA was rather boring.

Anyway. My work on porting the other maps now is stalled ATM because of a major problem with my computer which comes in the form of Windows Vista. As soon as I can get XP running on this thing I'll continue work (it's taking a while since it's a laptop that never shipped with Windows XP. Quite a hassle scrounging all the drivers together).

Elegnaim

Sep 3, 2005
It's a bit annoying as there ARE some really nice maps in there though -- I'm really fond of Shinigami, most of the Warren maps, most of DavidM's, and the Outworld series (which, despite being fairly symmetrical, seem pretty Z-axis oriented). It's just a bit of a hassle going through them all as you can't really tell from the screens which maps are just empty circular rooms (or even then, Ebolt has a map on there that IS basically an empty circular room excep it's a lot more complex than that because there's all sorts of tunnels and things).

Wander

kittens give Morbo gas
Aug 11, 2008
I'd jump on those as quickly as possible if I were you. You may never see this deal again.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Aaah, New Zealand, when I was searching for info on TotallyUnreal, I found out that it was mainly sold in Australia and New Zealand, so no wonder you could find them there. The Atari Heroes collection is the same thing and also sold only in Australia.

Elegnaim

Sep 3, 2005
"But i do see what your saying about all the maps being arenaish. Of course, they are SUPPOSED to be arenas but NM"

Which DOES make sense in RA gameplay but isn't exactly thrilling in regular DM matches, which was my point (which I didn't really make clear because I'm an idiot :()

Elegnaim

Sep 3, 2005
Well yes, but it's still a different kind of gameplay. RA's arenas are very open, for instance, whereas with regular DM arenas I tend to like places to hid, and special features that are more spefically geared to that arena's particular weapon layout.

Actually, potentially fun idea, but maybe there's a way to like, link all of the arenas in an RA map via hallways or teleporters to create really grandiose multiarenas... Hrm.

Anyway, checking out IGN's screenshots and DC version review, it sounds like a lot of maps from the PC version were shrunk for the DC version, and that the only DM map that didn't eventually get to the PC officially was Flux. All of the other maps on IGN's screenshot page that I don't recognize from base UT I recognize from RA or from the Bonus Packs.

So, that sounds like DOM-Hood and the various CTF maps are the only ones that would need converted..? I'm now interested in how the PC maps were altered for the DC version, now.

(Also, loving that Office Park themed map from DavidM's pack. Reminds me of Deus Ex. Also need to figure out what I did to my bot configuration that leads to a situation where one or two bots consistently get much higher scores than me or anyone else [and why these particular bots also never crater on the Outworld void maps]).

Wander

kittens give Morbo gas
Aug 11, 2008
Just to let you know that now I got this computer running like it should I can resume work on these ports again.

Wander

kittens give Morbo gas
Aug 11, 2008
I've been fiddling around with Coagulate yesterday. There were some other scaling issues that I've corrected, making this map a bit "tighter" in layout than DrunKenobi's version. Although I'm not done with remaking this yet (e.g. a new preview shots still needs to be there), I already wanted to show you this to test how the lighting works on your monitors. As I may have told before I'm using a new computer and the screen is brighter than usual, so if you find the lighting in Coagulate too dark, don't hesitate to tell me.

Haven't tested bots yet. Some items MAY not be in the right place because of some changes in scale.

Attachments

• DM-Coagulate.zip
    169 KB · Views: 61
Last edited: