Can I change default "Box Character"???

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

TheArtfulDodger

Nov 25, 2003
Visit site
I'd like to make some generic people for the Runtime Engine.

Is it legal?

Would interacting on the net constitute a game?

How do I change the default player "Box Character" to my own mesh?

cyberdigitus

Dec 1, 2003
Belgium
users.pandora.be
why wouldn't that be legal? in fact, if you look around on the udn site, you can find a runtime version of the udn charactres, wich have pretty detailed skeletons. It seems they're really updating the site often lately.

hottoast

Art Worker
why wouldn't that be legal? in fact, if you look around on the udn site, you can find a runtime version of the udn charactres, wich have pretty detailed skeletons. It seems they're really updating the site often lately.

The runtime versions of the UDN characters were done by the Unreal Developers Network, so that if you wanted people running around instead of a box, you could have that (without having to make them yourself).

I believe that you can replace the UDN models with your own without any legal repercussions.

- Tom

patrickrho

Oct 31, 2003
where can i find the runtime version of the example characters?
Can you post an address?
and how can i export models that i made with max and/or maya to the Runtime? is it possible to use ActorX?

hottoast

Art Worker
patrickrho said:
where can i find the runtime version of the example characters?
Can you post an address?
and how can i export models that i made with max and/or maya to the Runtime? is it possible to use ActorX?

Ok, the first part of your question can be found here:

http://udn.epicgames.com/Technical/MyFirstPawn#Installing_the_Example

It's a little technical, so be sure to follow the instructions exactly.

To export your own characters and models to the Runtime build, you can use ActorX with either Max or Maya. If you are just getting started, take a look at this page:

http://udn.epicgames.com/Content/ModelingTableOfContents

There is a link in that document that links to ActorX pages for Max and Maya, since the process is slightly different for each of those programs.

-Tom

afecelis

Oct 17, 2003
Colombia
Visit site
I got the boy character to work ok but now the game is defaulted to third person view. I know hitting "b" is the default to switch person views but how can I default it back to first person (without loosing the boy character).?

hottoast

Art Worker
easy peasy

I got the boy character to work ok but now the game is defaulted to third person view. I know hitting "b" is the default to switch person views but how can I default it back to first person (without loosing the boy character).?

To make this change, you'll need to look at the source code and make a change, then recompile. My programmers tell me that this is a trivial change (if you're a coder). Take a look at this page for a complete description:

http://udn.epicgames.com/Technical/MyFirstPawn#PointOfView

Good luck!

Tom

afecelis

Oct 17, 2003
Colombia
Visit site
Ok, I read the article carefully and got what you meant. But even changing "bStartBehindView" to false in examplepawn.uc and compiling won't make it start in first person. What else needs to be done?

hottoast

Art Worker
afecelis said:
Ok, I read the article carefully and got what you meant. But even changing "bStartBehindView" to false in examplepawn.uc and compiling won't make it start in first person. What else needs to be done?

Odd, that should be all you need to do. Are you sure you're compiling correctly and using the recompiled files?

Tom

afecelis

Oct 17, 2003
Colombia
Visit site
well, I'm doing the regular "ucc make" compiling and I get all the files compiled in release mode ok. Success, 0 errors, 0 warnings.
The newly compiled files are stored somewhere else besides "system"?