Joint Operations

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
*Shrugs*

I knew that the upgrade arms race was what I was getting into when I bought my first PC.

It's hard on the wallet but it's also why PC's are still around.

PC gaming has been about to be "dead" for a couple of years now. It still hasn't happened and it is not going to happen in the near future either.

Why?

Because the PC by virtue of having obscenely expensive bleeding edge technology will always be able to offer gaming experiences that would cause the equivalent generation console to bust an aneurysm. You get what you pay for performance wise.

It's expensive and elitist and I f cking love it. And this has always been the case.

For the record I assembled my current peecee eighteen months ago and it's still going strong. I reckon I'll have to upgrade to run Half-Life 2 at anything higher than 1024*768 and Doom3 at anything higher than 800*600 but that isn't really a problem. I could probably get them running very acceptably without even replacing the Nforce. I've already got a gig of RAM that goes faster than the memory bus so it would just be a case of buying a new AMD processor and an ATI9800.

Waiting till nearer the time to get the best possible prices on stuff.

Big_Duke_06

Charlie Don't Surf!
May 25, 2003
Arizona, USA
Visit site
spm1138: I understand your point of view and even respect it. Back in the day, I was all about PCs and upgrading them all the time and always being on the bleeding edge, too.

I just got sick of it. I've got better things to spend my money on.

And the point where I disagree with what you've said is more symantics than anything else. You said:

Because the PC by virtue of having obscenely expensive bleeding edge technology will always be able to offer gaming experiences that would cause the equivalent generation console to bust an aneurysm. You get what you pay for performance wise.

I say, maybe you get graphics that would cause the consoles to have fits. I think there is a difference between the graphics of a game and the gameplay experience. I can still fire up Punch Out! all these years later and have a great gameplay experience with it - even though the graphics are a piece of crap by modern standards.

Otherwise, you're right on. PCs are an arms race, be prepared to spend early and often to keep up with the requirements of the latest and greatest games.

I just wonder what would be possible in the PC world if PC developers took the stance of console developers - economize the code rather than relying on newer and faster hardware...

Matthew

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
I would argue that the graphics generally (not neccesarily always the case) form an integral part of the gameplay experience, particularly when you're dealing with action games.

If that were not the case we'd all still be playing Nethack.

Besides the PC's advantages over the console run deeper than just graphics.

PC games are more complex and in-depth than console games. I am not saying that is always a good thing but I appreciate it where it works.

They are also user modifiable... y'know Inf and stuff.

Last edited:

Big_Duke_06

Charlie Don't Surf!
May 25, 2003
Arizona, USA
Visit site
spm1138: Great points.

You're right that many games are starting to use graphics as an integral part of the gameplay experience - Splinter Cell is a great example, the reliance on lighting and shadows and such... Had that not been modeled as realistically as it had been, the gameplay would not have been as good as it is.

And the ability to modify games as well as have games with much greater depth and control options (flight sims are a great example - lots of nice specialized hardware for flight sims, as well as needing a keyboard in addition for all the myriad options - how on earth would you do that with an 8 button console controller?) are strong reasons why PC gaming will never truly die. There are cetain niches that PC games fill that consoles will likely never be able to fill - or at least wouldn't be able to do so while still selling enough units to make a profit (see that XBox mech game with the $200 controller).

Still, consoles have come a long way and can only get better. The XBox currently does support (albeit limited) modifications to games. Several games already have added levels available for download, and I think that MechAssault even had a whole new gameplay type added. And I'm willing to bet a large bit of money that all the next-gen consoles will sport hard drives for such capabilities in the future.

Also, the performance gap isn't as great as it was in the past. Splinter Cell proves that even if you are going to make graphics an integral part of the game experience, consoles do have the power to pull it off. Sure, an XBox or PS2 doesn't have the power of a brand new, bleeding-edge PC. But at some point you're looking at diminishing returns - how much more added detail truly adds to gameplay?

Matthew

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
Splinter Cell is amazing. Light is just so beautiful in that game.

Rainbow Six 3 utilizes the same lighting engine (and includes a good sized quota of architecture designed to show it off). It tends to drop frames when the screen gets really busy. That's on a low res TV screen with no anti-aliasing.

Halo is actually quite oooogly in places. Some people complained that the PC conversion borked the graphics. This wasn't the case. They were simply only seeing it properly for the first time on a PC monitor.

Steel Batallion (the game with the $200 controller) would be three times the game if you weren't squinting into the center of your TV set waiting for the enemy to appear over the other side of the pop-up horizon. The game deliberately makes your viewing screens fuzzy which is funny because seeing it on a TV set does that anyway.

XBox supports downloadable content (if you haven't already got them get ahold of "Kola Cell" and "Vselka Infiltration" for Splinter Cell... they're extra levels and they're great) made by the publisher of a game.

UT2004... well I honestly think a mod team could make that into almost anything. Short of not being able to sell your mod or use copyrighted IP's the gaming public can do just about anything with the engine your average soulless corporate whore at EA could, only not being a soulless corporate whore at EA they might try something different like "Lets make an infantry combat simulator. I want this to be As Real As It Gets..." :D

Last edited:

MetalMickey

Banned
Jul 30, 2000
Dublin
It's expensive and elitist and I f cking love it. And this has always been the case.

True enough. Im not saying I wouldnt like to be in the position to splurge on an upgrade every six months. Nor is the PC just about to die as a gaming platform. Is it just me though, or is the level of investment required to stay current actually increasing?

But, for the first time the console is starting to emerge as a viable contender in gaming for me. And I say that as someone who has always played games on a computer - from an Atari 800, ZX Spectrum, C64, Amiga 500/600/1200 to the PC. Price is a huge factor in this.

The point you make about PC games being more in depth is valid too, but it can only be a matter of time before the market addresses this. The mod thing really would require an open architecture though, so the PC will retain the edge there for the foreseeable future.

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
The gap between the system requirements of games and fastest hardware has been decreasing rapidly recently. It's going to come to a point where games have to be put on hold just because not enough people could run it well enough, and so won't sell as well. Maybe then the writers could think more about efficiency than just 'lets just stick this in because it looks way better than that competitor's game'.

That's one of the reasons I've always liked Blizzard's games. They have relatively low system requirements, don't sacrifice anything at all in gameplay, and very little in visual quality.

Besides, stuff like Joint Operations may look nice in screenshots, but in real gaming terms most people will not use/get the reflective/rippled water etc etc. Screenshots always look better than the actual thing.

OICW

Reason & Logic > Religion
There was a Collector's edition of Splinter Cell for PC released in the UK with 3 extra levels IIRC, but Ubi has made no plans to allow PC users to download them :mad:

Apparently they're floating around the Internet, so I'll have a look for them.

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
I think if anything the level of expenditure needed has fallen since DirectX has standardised everything and since everyone and their dog has started licensing the same Unreal technology for their games.

It's just that there's finally new engines coming out that makes it seem like it's getting more expensive.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
'Joint Operations' ... looks nice, but I'm waiting for 'Söldner : Secret Wars' which is supposed to have 2d 'iron sights' and (eventually) up to 100 ppl per servers as well.
Realism is supposed to be somewhere between OFP & BF1942, but at least you get to destroy the environment *evil grin*

Spier

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
WARNING!
If you see a game in stores called Team Sabre, DO NOT BUY it thinking it is this thing. Team Sabre is an expansion for BHD, and it is pure, unadulterated shit! Just a friendly little warning.

"It's expensive and elitist and I f cking love it."
C&P'ed to notes.txt. :)

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
Spier said:

He is not wrong.

From what I have read it opens the maps right up.

This reduces the gameplay to PSG1 whackamole and highlights the flaws in the AI.

Only buy it if you really want the extras for MP and before you do that check out the Terranova pack.

edit
Perhaps there is a positive side to Spier pirating games so we don't have to buy them ;) :D

Last edited: