UE1 - UT MH-2ndTry[EG]Zeta

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

evilgrins

God of Fudge
Sep 9, 2011
Palo Alto, CA
unreal-games.livejournal.com
This is an edit of a map by [SPG]RIFFRAFF.

As most people play MH with some form of health/ammo regenerator, there is no ammo anywhere on this map.

First off, why Zeta? An initial release of a map, let out for testing purposes, is usually called a Beta. Thing is this is an edit of an existing map, MH-FirstTry[SPG], which may have had a Beta of its own once upon a time. So, I went another way.

This map is mostly done. There's a few more things I wanna do to it but this one doesn't need those to be played. I just want people to play it and then get back to me and tell me everything that's wrong with it. I'm sure there's like 1 or 2 or 300 things at most.

This is a 16 room map, 2 floors of 8 rooms, one level above another, with a separate room for the bosses and the exit. I mostly play MH-FirstTry[SPG] on Killerbee's server but I've seen it on a couple others. The weapons the original map didn't seem sufficient. A sniper rifle and a really warped redeemer with a rainbow attack.

I replaced the sniper rifes with 2 versions of M16's. I replaced the redeemer with DeemerFireworks. The original only had weapons in the starting room, which is mostly true here except I placed an extra DeemerFireworks near the end of the map.

At the suggestion of another, I reduced the lighting. Each room used to have 6 torches for lighting, now there's 2.

I swapped out the pupae for predators.
I swapped out the defensors for warlord hunters.
I was tempted to swap the brutes projectiles with instagib blasts... but didn't.

Saving that for another map.

There are creature factories on the 1st floor only. For predators, krall, brutes, and warlord hunters.

The original didn't have any music, now it does. Kind of a pet peeve of mine. Unless you've got your music volume really high it's not that loud.

The last time I suggested a strategy for a map edit of mine, MH-AvP][, someone nearly tore my head off. You know who you are. Anyway, going to risk it again. If you're going to play this map online with other people then you can choose to ignore this, teamwork negates the need somewhat. I would suggest you play this map without any mutator or anything that prevents the monsters from fighting each other. The predators especially, are very handy to lead to other rooms there are monsters in so they can eat them...

...having played this map enough times on my own I can tell you that if the monsters aren't fighting each other you're, in a word, screwed.

00dp9xek.png

Usual Suspects:
.umx goes in /music
.unr does in /maps
.u goes in /system

Stuff for the final version:
- I edited the DeemerFireworks to respawn every 10 seconds. I can't figure out how to disable the music feature, it plays one of two American ballads when you pick it up and then fire it.
- I wanna eventually put bot pathing on this map, at the moment they stick to the starting room unless they're following players. Ideally as much for my own usage when I'm not playing online, as well as others that similarily don't always hit up the servers for their UT fix.

Problems
- There's a tiny glitch with the predators, that only acts up once in awhile. I can play this map 15 times or more without it ever coming up.
- The Warlord Hunters are a little too tough and once you encounter them, they will follow you relentlessly.

Ready?
http://www.mediafire.com/?rgqmdc4cg0cn433