Should Epic repeat the 2k3 -> 2k4 history again to save UT3?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
Two wrongs in one small post, congrats!

For one, Epic will make another Unreal universe game in Unreal Engine 3 (this is part of their contract with Midway) and secondly, while their next engine will probably be focused on consoles, it will not be console-exclusive as in "not for PC at all".
More like: "It is exclusively for the Next generation of consoles" or as Mark Rein clarified... "It will NOT BE ON THE Xbox 360, Wii, or PS3."

... never mind, saw how old this was.

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
Details aside.

Just add....

That's one thing I'm trying to avoid. Recommending additions into the game always seems more of a personal list rather than general fixes. Every person on this forum has an idea of what they think needs to be added in UT3. Some of these are reasonable requests, some are demanding too much.

I'm not saying your requests are unreasonable or even unwelcome. It's just that there are a million pet peeves with UT, and ultimately the only people who decide what really goes in or out of the game are the hard working people at Epic. And yes, they're working on it, you unbelievers!

What can they add in UT4 to make it worth being a game on his own?
I'm sure they'll think of something ;)

Plutonia_Experi

Jan 28, 2008
That's one thing I'm trying to avoid. Recommending additions into the game always seems more of a personal list rather than general fixes. Every person on this forum has an idea of what they think needs to be added in UT3. Some of these are reasonable requests, some are demanding too much.

I'm not saying your requests are unreasonable or even unwelcome. It's just that there are a million pet peeves with UT, and ultimately the only people who decide what really goes in or out of the game are the hard working people at Epic. And yes, they're working on it, you unbelievers!

I'm sure they'll think of something ;)

I understand what you mean and I agree, but I don't think this is really directed to me...the bot roster UT2004 style can be techically an addition, but I consider it more of a fix.
For sure I'm not asking for new things that would change the game completely, several times I saw in forums propositions of changes that has nothing to do with UT3 or that would ruin the very essence of the game (like addition of stealth, multidodging, more/less powerful guns vs vehicles, etc.)

Fix the current bugs and I'm happy, that's all I'm saying :)

Bersy

Apr 7, 2008
Sweden
An updated demo was my idea. You'd have to read the thread on Epic to understand my reasoning for it, I'm not going to bother repeating it. I'm just hoping that they're passing on it because they have a more effective plan.. I don't fully agree with the "slightly less buggy" assessment though, warfare was a pretty major omission. Not that I am a major fan of the gametype, but it is kind of a chicken/egg deal.. are there no players cause it sucks or does it suck because there's no players... anyway warfare was pretty much one of the selling points of the game and to not even put it in the original beta demo was a bit bizarre.

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Yeah, I don't get why Epic does not plan to release another demo, for it couldn't hurt the current situation. But, I digress, as they didn't release a Gears demo for PC at all.

Remembering an article I read back in good old 2005 some months before UC2 was released and UT2007 was announced, Epic and Midway have a deal for three Unreal games; Unreal Championship 2, Unreal Tournament 2006 and 2008. Of course, we ended up getting UT2007 aka UT3, so I have to wonder where the next Unreal game fits into this.

neilthecellist

Renegade.
May 24, 2004
San Diego, California
www. .
Sorry for going slightly off topic, but...

On the note on Gears of War, I really was not satisfied with the graphics in the PC version. The game itself was fun, I'll admit, but the graphics were just not that great. They could've done a LOT more with (1) materials used in the game and (2) reduce the amount of "grey" HDR, it made the game look like clay... Oh wait, the game WAS clay....

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
Whether they keep patching UT3 (which I honestly hope they will do) or end up doing a UT3.5, either way, it will be good for everyone in the end. It might not be what you want, when you want it, but if Epic can do it, they will do it. UT2004 became its own product pretty much because they had to break UT2003 to do it, along with a number of other small reasons. I don't foresee any "breaking" that would need to occur for UT3 for things to be perfect, but only time will tell.

If they do it right, lots of stuff will need to be "broken". We can start by dumping the Application Data folder, at least for XP users, and by having a more logical organization of content in folders.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Personally, I like the way it's done. I have reinstalled UT3 several times and not lost any of my configs or custom content because I saved that folder.

Emmet Otter

I miss XMP :(
May 26, 2003
Home of the NHL Devils
Visit site
Just add
- the bot roster,
- a better UI (that means: let it save the configuration, add new graphic options, remove confirmations, and expand the map name window - I like the design)
- fix bugs regarding AI (bots trying to shoot through walls or not hitting the node/turret, and not attacking the core, and not attacking Powersurge centre node)

And then I'm ok with it, UT3 will be my favourite game, 10/10, the best of the series.
Yep! These are the main problems with me as well.

SealClubber

Not biased
Oct 30, 2002
Planet Earth
What do I think Epic could/is going to do?

I think epic/midway/whoever else's master plan now, is pretty much done with UT from now on... Especially anything having to be made for the PC.

They are gonna stick to making Gears of War, and very much stay away from anything PC by sticking with the PS3/Xbox360. Alot less effort involved with content for console games. As a buisness/time spending move, it is what is needed to be done.

Get over it folks, the show is pretty much over.

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
Personally, I like the way it's done. I have reinstalled UT3 several times and not lost any of my configs or custom content because I saved that folder.

Oh. I was completely unaware that it offered that kind of functionality. However, I still don't like the way it's organized. I.e.; instead of a simple "Maps" folder you have to dig through "Cooked", etc. I really think the organization of the UT99 and UT 2004 content made it much more accessible.

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
What do I think Epic could/is going to do?

I think epic/midway/whoever else's master plan now, is pretty much done with UT from now on... Especially anything having to be made for the PC.

They are gonna stick to making Gears of War, and very much stay away from anything PC by sticking with the PS3/Xbox360. Alot less effort involved with content for console games. As a buisness/time spending move, it is what is needed to be done.

Get over it folks, the show is pretty much over.

I sure do hope it isn't over; not when UT99 and UT 2004 never received the sequel they deserved. Speaking of that, as I was reading the title of this thread, it occurred to me that the thread is really misnamed. It might be more aptly titled, "Should Epic repeat the 2k3 --> 2k4 history again with UT3 to save UT?" At issue is the entire franchise.

I'm sad to say it, but I suspect that your take on this might be right. I say that because if Epic had ever had any desire of producing a good UT game for the PC they would have just done it with UT3 and Epic's consolization seems like an overwhelming influence; it's no longer a PC gaming company. I don't blame them for following the money; programmers gotta eat, but I wish it hadn't worked out that way. One way to verbalize the change in Epic's attitude and approach might be to say, "Gone are the days of making PC games for adults and here are the days of making console games for kids." That is to say that UT99 and UT 2004 were about online multiplayer PC gaming, custom maps and mods, and freedom. In contrast, UT3 is about logging into Gamespy and having few adjustment and customization options (unless you want to muck around with the .ini files).

Last edited:

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
Wait for it...

No more Unreal? Bull****. Epic isn't going to abandon their oldest franchise at the drop of a hat. FFS if they aren't even done with UT3 yet. A million dollars worth of prizes are being distributed just to map for this game. This wouldn't happen, along with the fact that there's another upcoming patch for the game, if Epic was done with UT.

There's still going to be months worth of dealings with UT3 at the very least, simply with a new patch and the MSUC being under way. A new Unreal is a long ways ahead, but don't think it won't happen.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Oh. I was completely unaware that it offered that kind of functionality. However, I still don't like the way it's organized. I.e.; instead of a simple "Maps" folder you have to dig through "Cooked", etc. I really think the organization of the UT99 and UT 2004 content made it much more accessible.
Oh, well I totally agree with that. All this Published/Unpublished/Millions of folders stuff is out of control, imo.

And the UIScene crap is ridiculous :)

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
I'm sad to say it, but I suspect that your take on this might be right. I say that because if Epic had ever had any desire of producing a good UT game for the PC they would have just done it with UT3 and Epic's consolization seems like an overwhelming influence; it's no longer a PC gaming company. I don't blame them for following the money; programmers gotta eat, but I wish it hadn't worked out that way. One way to verbalize the change in Epic's attitude and approach might be to say, "Gone are the days of making PC games for adults and here are the days of making console games for kids." That is to say that UT99 and UT 2004 were about online multiplayer PC gaming, custom maps and mods, and freedom. In contrast, UT3 is about logging into Gamespy and having few adjustment and customization options (unless you want to muck around with the .ini files).

Id have to say I disagree with this in part! Ive said it before and Ive said it plenty of times but I'll repeat it, platforms dont sell games, games sell platforms. All this move to console is showing is what happens when developers favour one platform over the other, it happened in the glory days of PC gaming as well (well okay the glory days arnt over but when PC games held the major market share).

What do you think caused consoles to be more popular in the first place, lets say the PS2 for instance, do you think it was the hardware like wow DVD player. By that time people were picking them up for next to nothing for their PC and they could burn on em as well. It was most defiantly the games, the same thing thats kept Nintendo going and strong all this time, mind you the wiimote is pretty kewl but games go with that so thinking of new and interesting games to use that feature is where its at for that platform. Thats how it should be for any platform but for PC atm its like the Amiga days where we have acouple of dedicated PC dev's along with all the 360 dev's simply porting things over.

Theres no proof that Ive seen that says a game will sell better on console no matter what, it depends very heavily on the game, you can even add the money saved from testing and whatnot but I still fail to see what makes them a more popular choice over an industry trend.

I certainly agree programmers need to eat, what they dont need to do is drive Ferrari's if the Lamborghini is in the shop (thats the shareholders job). I think greed is driving the industry more than ever before and its rather sad, there has been some really stand out titles which dont cost an arm and a leg and offer alot in terms of playtime and fun. Thats what it should be about!

With companies looking harder and harder at the bottom line trying to get every cent they can things are only going to get worse, crys of "we'll patch it later" are being heard all across the world and many a gamer gets a half finished game. No one is free from this anymore, the once solid console release is now a myth with the advent of them being connected to the net. Not only that but there must be some sort of questionnaire that gamers answer that tells developers we are all retards so they make their games easier and easier while the bottom line born and bread gamer keeps getting stronger.

So they keep plugging at it making games for little kiddies but the games receive a rating saying 15+. Now this isnt entirely related to UT3 or the topic at hand but I just have to say, where are our intelligent games? You dont need to be a brain surgeon or anything to understand the complexity some games offer, some people fail to miss a few things here and there but it does take time. Itd be nice to get a gamers game once in awhile instead of an hour long tutorial on the intricacies of playing a simple console game.

In the end, some trends just arnt all that positive, even if people are raking in the money! Where are the developers who are in it only for their supper money and nothing else? I mean what more could you want then to wake up every day and say "yes, Im a game developer" for me thats all Id ever need. I could care less if Im breaking even including development costs, atleast the development costs can be recycled and I wouldnt be looking to bump my profit margin from 10million to 20 :rolleyes:

Sure no game is perfect and neither is UT3, patch releases have been slow to say the least and the fixes well if they actually fixed stuff there wouldnt be "beta" patches. Its good to be part of the process I guess but the turn around is slower than a granny in a moped, you tell Epic about something and youre lucky if it'll be fixed two patches later. At this rate the game will be done... after the next UT game is released. I mean Im willing to help identify and report bugs or find features which could be helpful for upgrades but theres no clue as to whats going on at all unless you ask specifically.

Anyways Im gonna dribble on if I dont finish up here...

Everything about this game has been beta, from the demo, to the release and even the patches, with no post release non-beta demo on the horizon I would start to speculate as to when we'll hear about the next UT game. Will it be sooner or later, who knows, maybe Epic will continue to support UT3! If they do Id defiantly have to say they arnt in it purely for the money as some developers might have cut and run by now. Maybe UT3 is just the demo for a bigger thing to come, from what Ive heard of Gears 2 it sounds like Gears 1 is in a very similar position as UT3.

Does it really take Epic 2 games to get it right? Well for a new franchise like Gears it makes sense it gets alot more refined but with UT we are on the 4th game going into a possible 5th so perhaps its time to get it right again! Actually I wont say they got the whole of UT3 wrong, but there is alot less that could be wrong next time though.

I just believe that there is certain problems with UT3 that cant and probably wont be fixed in patches but it is possible to fix them with a new title. Much like 2k4 tried to fix problems with 2k3, this time though as Ive said Epic is in a much better position moving forward. Im not sure if Id agree with another title in a hurry but it could certainly do alot to help the franchise and for that reason alone perhaps it would be for the best. I just hope that now the 360 version is released we'll see the pace on patches quicken :cool:

FikusErectus

Jul 12, 2008
I think they should. After it's released on Tuesday for 360 they will have fully established their newest iteration of Unreal in the console world. Now that that's done with, it's time to focus back on the PC side of things and give Unreal's oldest and truest fans what they've been waiting for.

This is of course what they need to do. But it will never happen. They are a console developer now. They have even stated that Unreal Engine IV will be mostly for consoles.

Don't expect another PC version of UT anytime soon.

Last edited: