15 Years of Unreal!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
It's not that I couldn't get into it. I've never owned Unreal. My first experience in the franchise was UT. I've owned and played every other game in the franchise, but never the original.

Sell some TF2 hats on Steam and buy it already! :)

It's a true classic game and it holds up waaay better than a lot of other games of its time.

Super-long co-op campaign? check
Crazy multiplayer? check
Thousands of mods, TCs, and maps? check
SDK? check

I think what made it click for most people is the mix of fantasy and sci-fi, along with the fact that there were friendly NPCs and huge worlds in an era of corridor shooters.

Let me remind everyone that Unreal is also fully playable within UT.

Oh, and Lynx... nice job on getting them those screenshots. ;)

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
All the Unreal 1 system/texture/sound files are in UT. You just need to copy the maps and the music, and getting everything to work nicely with a mod like oldskool 2.39.

Last edited:

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
It's not that I couldn't get into it. I've never owned Unreal. My first experience in the franchise was UT. I've owned and played every other game in the franchise, but never the original.
you know this actually describes me exactly.

never played Unreal because UT was my first franchise experience.
and it was so good that I just never developed any interest in the original game. I remember learning about it, reading a review, and thinking it looked boring.

to this day I've never played it.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
you know this actually describes me exactly.

never played Unreal because UT was my first franchise experience.
and it was so good that I just never developed any interest in the original game. I remember learning about it, reading a review, and thinking it looked boring.

to this day I've never played it.
It's sad to hear it like that. UT was in the end just random mess thrown together and most of the pieces came from Unreal developement.
The weapons in UT have been made more human/generic and there was lack of any story/depth into it and many of the maps had actually less detail than the Unreal ones.
Don't forget that UT started as an expansion set for Unreal headed towards the bot/multiplayer experience. It could have been a standalone expansion pack too, but someone(Mark Rein) decided to market it as a standalone game and bring it really to the masses, which most in the end did not care about the original game anymore.

Funny that the very old version of botpack.u from 1998 that runs with unreal 220 which I somehow got by "accident" has only those new weapons: DoubleAutoMag, CHAINSAW, ImpactHammer, Translocator and WarHeadLauncher. As far as I know the next weapon made was pulsegun as seen in one video which still has most of unreal weapons in use and then they started slowly replacing all other weapons with the botpack versions.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
what's sad about it?

ignorance is bliss.
UT was incredibly fun (still is) and the number of different mods for it extended the replayability for years after it should have been a dust collector.

Unreal looks boring. the graphics are old.
I don't feel like I'm missing out. sorry :p

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
what's sad about it?

ignorance is bliss.
UT was incredibly fun (still is) and the number of different mods for it extended the replayability for years after it should have been a dust collector.

Unreal looks boring. the graphics are old.
I don't feel like I'm missing out. sorry :p
The graphics are same (it's the same damn engine and most maps/mods work from Unreal in UT, in fact one can be glad they still maintained the compatibility with the three last unreal versions), and you can get high res textures and new drivers for it these days too. It sure doesn't have as many mods as UT had at its peak and again, I did make point in different post that the default UT got surpassed by bonuspack and many mods. Just like doom2. Doom2's general quality was worse than original Doom, levels were more or less random, some of them were nothing more than refined test levels, some of them came from cutting floor of doom and some of them were new but they didn't really match overall story. It could have been fun and the "expansions" and mods and everything expanded the game's life and surpassed it, but was it as good in the core as the original doom? No it wasn't. The same story is with UT even though UT had no singleplayer content and there were the botpack weapon equivalents suddenly.

You are simply judging the book by its cover looking at your post. If you think ignorance is bliss, stay ignorant then but you can't really call yourself a "fan" of the "franchise".

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
It's absolutely worth trying if you haven't played it. It might not be your cup of tea but there really is a lot to like in the first few levels of the game.