I'm finally building an over-the-top gaming rig!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

igNiTion

here
Apr 9, 2004
South Carolina
I built my first rig last year, and it was definitely one of the most satisfying things I've done. Putting it all together and having it work... so much better than just buying a computer. Keep at it man, hope it all comes together.

Last edited:

DRT-Maverick

Lover of Earwigs
Dec 4, 1999
Reno, NV
I'll upload some new pics today. Haven't done as much sleeving as I wanted to yet because this semester has been a pretty hellish semester. But I'm finishing up some modifications to the case- added another HDD cage and I am adding a reservoir mount made of frosted smoked plexiglass to the front that will be spaced away from the panel a little, so I can also mount the fan controllers behind the reservoir.

I'll probably modify the first post and turn this into a build log. :)

DRT-Maverick

Lover of Earwigs
Dec 4, 1999
Reno, NV
Alright sorry for not uploading pics, I've been busy with preparing for thanksgiving/friendsgiving feasts so I haven't had time to get the photos BUT... Tomorrow I'm going to take some decent photos...

In addition, I've ordered the following and they should be here next week:

i7 5960x 8-core CPU
32GB corsair LPX Vengeance DDR4 RAM
ASUS x99-E WS motherboard
EVGA Classified GTX 980 Nvidia 4gb graphics card (Will order the second on Monday)
4TB WD Black 7200RPM HDD
512GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD.

Next week I should be assembled!

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Can someone explain how to fit a heatsink with those damn plastic clips ? I've disassembled a Q6600 and can't get it back on again :p

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Can someone explain how to fit a heatsink with those damn plastic clips ? I've disassembled a Q6600 and can't get it back on again :p

Not sure about that heatsink, but the general guide is to end up pushing somehting harder than you think you should. ;)

DRT-Maverick

Lover of Earwigs
Dec 4, 1999
Reno, NV
Alright here's the list of recently ordered parts- most should be here today:

Intel i7 Extreme 5960x 8-core CPU
ASUS x99-E WS workstation motherboard with 88 lanes (using dual PLX chips)
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4x8GB) quad-channel 2666MHz DDR4 RAM
2x EVGA Classified GTX 980 4GB Graphics Card
512GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
4TB 7200RPM Western Digital Black HDD
ZXR SoundBlaster Soundcard

Also ordering new speakers tomorrow:
Polk RTi A3 6.5" bookshelf speaker set.
Polk PSW125.

Also already owned parts:
Caselabs SMA8 w/ ventilated panels, flexbay radmount and lowerchamber rad-mount
560mm XT45 and 420mm UT60 water radiators
EK waterblocks, rigid tubing, monsoon fittings and EK Pump
EVGA SuperNova P2 1000watt PSU

I figure I need a new audio setup as well, my speakers (they're polk R15's) are like 15+ in age.

Will get most everything assembled, I believe I have to wait until the 2nd or 3rd for the graphics cards though (shipping delay).

Will get some pics up today.

Last edited:

DRT-Maverick

Lover of Earwigs
Dec 4, 1999
Reno, NV
Update:
Nearly everything is done. Another videocard will be here along with a soundcard I want to try out, though might return. Tubing tomorrow, and waterblocks should be out at the start of January for the Classifieds.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Okay, so that looks very nice and all, but you've had this thing since September. Please tell me that "almost done" means that you're using it every day, but every once in a while you fiddle with it. Because otherwise I'll be sad.

Me, I bought a Carbide 500r, stuffed everything in (well, with proper cable management), ripped out the effing glowy LEDs (I'm a grown man, I don't need a florescent computer) and played stuff. I hope that your pretification process isn't intruding on..you know. Games.

DRT-Maverick

Lover of Earwigs
Dec 4, 1999
Reno, NV
She's complete, up and runnig, got fan control going this morning, now working on the overclock. Enjoy teh video.

[M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1DfSm5xfs0[/M]

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Not sure about that heatsink, but the general guide is to end up pushing somehting harder than you think you should. ;)

That's what I feared. It's not a good system and I nearly bent one of the plastic bits.

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Big congrats man.....great rig, nice build. Good for you for taking your time, doing it right and getting what you want.

Well done and happy gaming!

DRT-Maverick

Lover of Earwigs
Dec 4, 1999
Reno, NV
Thanks man! It took some time, I started the build in September, spent weeks figuring out a good mount for the reservoir. Today I replaced the side panel with smoked acrylic (so it's not as bright, the moboLEDs).

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl