My rant

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SoSilencer

Harry Goz (1932 - 2003)
Nov 27, 2000
unrealdev.net
In real life weapons cost money. In real life most soldiers don't have grenade launchers because...

1: They are only useful in specific situations
2: These situations are almost all situations where one or two launchers per squad is enough.
3: Because one or two per squad is enough and they are only useful in specific situations, the added weight is not wanted or needed by the soldiers.
4: It would cost millions to give every soldier one, which would be pointless given the above reasons.

"I agree, if there is some weapon that is becoming an "uberweapon" then you just need to figure out tactics to counter their use. Most of the people who use the M203 don't know how to use anything else, so once you get the upperhand you will OWN them"

I also agree with that, partially. I don't think the problem is with the launcher combo though. By itself it is rather balanced and once they tweak the bulk settings people will most likely carry fewer grenades meaning they probably won't run around in grenade mode, they'll save the grenades for when they really need them. At the very least it should prevent people from carrying around the m16/203 AND a shotgun AND a sniper rifle.

I believe the main problem is the fact that there are simply too many of them. If you and a few friends are going up a group of enemies you could expect one to have a launcher. Tactics can compensate to at least reduce his effect. He can be taken out and you can continue fighting the rest of the enemy team. That never happens though. Not only does that one guy have a launcher but one of the two people standing nearby also has a launcher. Even if you take these two out when you advance forward you are likely to find another enemy 20 feet back, also with a launcher. You could try to sneak around through a building but upon doing so you meet yet another enemy, also with a launcher which he fires from 10 feet into you. If it doesn't kill you your hurt bad which means when you leave the building some other guy only has to get a grenade within 15 feet to kill you. This would never happen in real life. You might have one guy up front with a launcher plus one in back. If your from a wealthy country you might have one on that guy in the building but like everybody else he would be walking around in bullet modem, he would engage first in bullet mode, and would only switch to grenades when it is safe and appropriate to do so.

I don't mind a 2-3 per team per game what bugs me (and I think most other people) is that it isn't 2-3 per team its 4-6, and they use them as their primary weapon most of the time.

I agree with most of you. Sure, the gun is extremely powerful in the right hands, the trick is to shoot it out of their hands before they even see you.
Saying that, though, I have a full m16/203 complement, but I don't run around busting off grenades anywhere and everywhere, In fact most times I barely use the grenades, the long reload time is too risky.
On the plus side, you can normally pinpoint where the enemy is by the trajectory of the grenades, then run round the corner when they reload.
Or snipe them ;)

RogueLeader

Tama-chan says, "aurf aurf aurf!"
Oct 19, 2000
Indiana. Kill me please.
M203 players are combat players. They like to move around and they like to always shoot the moment they see their target. They like to run off alone, and they think of the m203 as the quake rocket launcher. YOu can use that to your advantage. Since most of them like to be alone, if you work in teams and attack from different directions or suprise them, they are easy to kill. Also many of them only use the m203 to try to directly hit someone. They will use it like its the normal firing mode. If they miss you, they are screwed, just toss over a grenade of your own or rush them while they reload.

Cpt.Cypher

I Go By Cypher Now
Apr 7, 2001
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Visit site
I just wanted to make a note that having to reload the grenade launcher is not a disadvantage, heres why. This also only applys to those that do not carry the ACOG (is the the scopes name? not sure). If the player does not use the scope they go about with it rested against there shoulder with the finger on the grenade launcher trigger. Thats all good so far. But then you turn a corner and find your self a few steps away from him, he fires and nails you. Ya, i should of fired faster but no problem yet in game balance. But then in the blink of an eye his had moves to the other trigger and fires a burst of bullets and i die. Now its hard to fight back as my screen just went red and i got knocked about a bit so usually i find myself dead here.
The point of this post is that there needs to be some time between switching to and from the grenade launcher and the grenade launcher needs to have some more kickback - although the may not be realistic it would add to gameplay IMO, as PROMAGNUM stated, there going for 50/50 on the realism and action.
Also I reafirm my stance on reducing the amount of grenades being carried.

UTProphet

Trial By Fire
Dec 8, 2000
tbf.clanspot.com
I think it's all good how people use the M203 and 69 (although I don't). There is one thing I hate though. Maps like Kosovo when you're just trying to get out of your spawn point right when the match starts, and there a 'nade comes flying out from the other side and you're out for the next 10 minutes. Spawn kills suck, I guess that's another topic entirely, but you usually don't see spawn kills with a bullet firing weapon...

As for limiting grenades, that's not the way to go. You should be able to carry what you could really carry. Don't sacrifice it. If people want to be gay with their nades, let them. Online kicking will soon work perfectly.

Mason

Self appointed voice of reason
Dec 14, 2000
Upstate NY
forums.unreal2.net
It's the person NOT the gun, period! Zundy and Fur have it right, use your BRAIN and develop tactics to use against these 'nading morons. Most Inf. players that I see online seem to favor the 'rushing' method. These are the ones most often catching the first wave of grenades. Granted, there isn't a lot of 'team' oriented play during a lot of matches, but developing tactics DOES work.

Example: the other night I was playing on a team with Sniper187 on the Siberia map. I was following him as we neared the stairway by the 'computer room'(?). The 3 members of the other team were approaching the stairs on the other side of the room. Sniper fired a grenade at them(didn't kill anyone), they backed up a sec before continuing, giving me enough time to get halfway up the stairs to meet them with my SIG, one after the other, all 3 dead.

Now, I know this doesn't always happen, and Sniper and I didn't plan this-he fired and I took the initiative, but good teamwork will defeat talented players who venture out alone every time. It just takes practice. Now, if a team happens to ALL practice teamwork AND using grenades...God help us all! :D

LordKhaine

I sing the body electric...
Dec 6, 1999
UK
Visit site
If you ask me grenades launchers should have...

a) A larger blast to stop people using it at close range. It should be a long range weapon.

b) Restrictions to stop people running while shooting them, as im sure in real life you would stand still to fire it.

UTProphet

Trial By Fire
Dec 8, 2000
tbf.clanspot.com
Mason: are you saying that dying the first 5 seconds of a round because you are still at your spawnpoint is the player's fault? Don't think so pal

unixman

[pthread] The Clan of One
Apr 8, 2001
Bakersfield, CA
www.stridernet.ath.cx
40mm Grenades

I don't see any problem with the use of the 40mm grenade attachment for the M16 or that most people use it. Limiting ammo is unnecessary as you can only carry up to and no more than five already.
How can you complain that you get shot with the grenade at close range? It's not like you would have lived had they shot you with bullets instead. It doesn't even detonate unless it travels a certain distance which is what I believe to be it's realistic behavior.
As for people running around with thier M16's on grenade mode. Well, they are the ones at a disadvantage. You get one shot after which you are a sitting duck for 4-5 seconds while reloading unless they switch back to normal fire mode.
The bottom line is that any manner you choose to kill the enemy is just as legitimate as any other. In reality there are no rules as to how or when you kill. If people are running around shooting grenades everywhere (which I think is bogus since they only have 5 to shoot) then don't go rushing into them so they can peg you with it. Use your brain. That's what this SIMULATION is all about.
I know I'm probably going to get flamed as a newbie since this is my first post, but I've been playing INF for months, and I'm fairly good having the highest points on most rounds (kind of depends on the map). I would appreciate it if people could just take my opinion with an open mind and with friendly rhetoric. I too am usually one of those "dirty bastards" running around with the M16/M203 combo. Sometimes I go with a MP5 and a scoped SIG.

SoSilencer

Harry Goz (1932 - 2003)
Nov 27, 2000
unrealdev.net
Regardless of all other factors it is simply unrealistic for most of a team to have grenade launchers, and for a large portion of those who do to use it as their main weapon regardless of range. It's as simple as that. For a mod that is so realistic the realism, for me anyways, is competely thrown out the window simply because so many people use grenades in such an unrealistic manner.

For example take sicily, near that one grass corner where the red team comes out. There is that building right there with a door on each side. I don't know how many times I've snuck into there with a close range weapon only to have an enemy rush in the other door and launch a grenade at me. If it doesn't hit and kill me it hits the wall behind you and if that doesn't kill you than the person simply switches to gun mode and only requires 1 bullet to finish the job. Even if I get the first shot with a sig or something like that, and it hits, I still end up getting nailed cus the time it takes for my weapon to fire 2-3 rounds is long enough for him to fire one grenade.

Even if you take him out when you leave the other side your gonna get a grenade into that little 'nitch' the door is in cus somebody else on red is waiting with another launcher. If you go around the building and take that guy out your bound to meet ANOTHER guy with a launcher. Go the long way around and you'll find ANOTHER grenade launcher toting guy. That isn't even what bothers me it's the 'grenade first, mop up with gun' mentality most of these people use. See an enemy far away? Launch a grenade. See an enemy at mid range? Launch a grenade. Walk around a corner and spot one? Launch a grenade. Grenade launchers are not primary weapons yet that is exactly how they are used. If your walking around looking for an enemy you should be in bullet mode. If you see an enemy in a spot that would best be dealt with a grenade than by all means use it but this primary launcher crap is out of hand and something needs to be done. I normally hate when people tell others how to play but this is so greatly unrealistic that it needs to be changed, even if it requires some unrealistic changes.

Trak

Rampant Suicide Machine
Mar 19, 2001
Nashville
www.uglymachine.com
CQB

Sounds like you are playing a CQB role. Walking around corners and getting fragged is part of the CQB role. It is a twitch contest, whoever pounds the fire button first will probably win regardless of the weapon. If people are using M203 in CQB they are just flat out morons.

Earlier I was on one of the SOB servers DM INF Sicily and I hammered several people using the "dreaded" M16/M203 combo. My Robar made total mincemeat out of them every time. Especially since it was obvious that they were gonna come flying around that very corner you mentioned SoSilencer. I just hunkered down behind the sandbags, steadied my breathing, supressed my amusement as I watched those "evil" grenades fly around the corner hitting no one, as no one was stupid enough to be in the way, and then pegged two of the dummies as they entered my field of fire. All of this with the slow loading Robar. I personally am starting to hope that all lamers start to use this combo. The good players will adjust, finding there own personal tactical responses and give all of these idiots a peice of the farm.

This combo isn't a deadly uberweapon, people. Just think a little before you go rushing around that corner.

CAVERNA2K

Look, a fliing something!!!!!
Mar 12, 2001
www.geocities.com
small une:

TO: Blistering_Pants

is that avatar your pic??? So u are a girl??? ohhhh man... ìll change my sig.

PS: this is just for Blistering_Pants to read an evaluate, don´t bother with it.Why did I posted it here: I hope Blistering_Pants will pass over this post again, just that.

so:
PASS THRU THIS REPLY, GO ON TO THE NEXT.

Antedeluge

I survived the flood of 2000 B.C.
Jan 1, 2001
Visit site
Changing the game won't change people's behavior. Sure you could take away the M203 or do something to it to make it less dominant, but people will always gravitate towards whatever weapon they can get the easiest kills with. Make the M16/M203 less attractive and you'll be back complaining about the next uberweapon.

(I personally think the MP5 is one of the most dangerous weapons because it is quiet, fires rapidly, and has low recoil. In fact, I thought it was going to be the ultimate lamer weapon until 2.85 came out and they added more recoil.)

Sure it sucks to get blown up by a grenade, but you can usually find a way to stay safe from grenade fire. If someone gets you once they'll try to do it the same way again, and then you can adjust your tactics so that theirs fail.

Call me an @$$hole if you want, but I use the M16/M203 + ACOG on most long range maps because sniping doesn't suit me. People choose their loadout based on what will keep them alive, and you can't tell me it's not a plus to have a 40mm grenade launcher at your disposal. Some maps I don't use it because it's just not plausible. If you're barely ever going to get a grenade to explode you might as well carry the SIG and put several pieces of lead through the target instead of one big unarmed grenade.

Lord_Bunker

Apr 18, 2000
Visit site
i'll admit i use the m203 as my primary, but i'm also not carrying everything else and it's mother with me either, the ones i hate are the guys with the m203, mp5 and robar. i only carry the m203. and i son't use it all the time, i only use it as my sniper loadout, i use the nades to take out groups and for indirect fire, the bullets do the rest. the hk69 though has a strong advantage in that you can lob it without looking up, so it's easy to use it for indirect fire, ie lobbing a shell over the building your hiding behind.

i'm just waiting for the g11 then i'll probably drop the m16 in a heartbeat. i do think bulk needs to be implemented a bit stronger, and i really like the idea of the weapons having they're own momentum.

as far as camping, well i've done my share of that too. my favorite was hiding under the stairs in siberia, i got 3 guys out in the one round i did that.

i've heard every one bitch about just about every weapon in the game, let's see there's a thread against the psg in suggestions, the hk69 was bitched about in 2.75, i've head the m3 bitched at, the akmsu, the robar alot, the de and anything else i'm forgetting.

poaw

You used to sleep easy at night.
Mar 25, 2001
Camp Pendleton, California
I use a M16/M203 w/o ACOG

I use my grenades selectively, one or maybe two every other round.

I think all this talk of the M16 being an uberweapon is simply people venting at a weapon because it's obvious that is the weapon that killed them. Afterall it's hard to tell if it was a MP5/40 or a Sig 551 that killed you in CQB, but if it was an M3 then it becomes very obvious what weapon killed you.

PS Just a question, but why would it matter if someone came around a corner and hit you with an M203? Wouldn't it be the same thing if he shot you with a 3 round burst?

Last edited:
SoSilencer, I'm not sure common use of the M203 is all that unrealistic. Maybe someone with recent infantry training, since the M293 has become commonly issued, could help out here.

I have to say that if I were walking point where I am expecting any fire to come from a distance at which the M203 would be effective, and I started to take fire, the first thing I would want to throw at the spot I think it's coming from (you're not likely to see the soldier targeting you in the first few seconds) is a launched grenade if I have one, rather than a burst of three little tiny pieces of lead that will only have effect if I'm lucky enough to hit the guy who's shooting at me. Let him take the grenade in his general area first, while I immediately switch to burst fire and continue to try to locate him and keep him down. The launched grenade is the most likely thing to immediately stop him from firing at me, and I think you'll agree that immediately stopping the incoming fire is a reasonable thing to try to accomplish.

Another scenario you are apparently concerned about: If I see a group of enemy soldiers before they see me, the grenade is going to do a whole lot more damage, and be a whole lot more likely to supress or delay return fire, than a couple of three-round .223 bursts.

I don't have any first hand knowledge that these are tactics real life soldiers are trained to use (though they make sense to me). But I doubt you have any first hand knowledge that they're not. If you do, please put it on the table.

Until then, watch for my incoming grenade. Hehe.

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
Most of the time they don't even use the gun. They just try and run strafe while reloading a new grenade.

And more of this BS:

I was hiding on one of the containers on docks, a teammate was sitting in the windows overlooking them, the enemy came in i saw one slip in the container with a door open to my left so i tossed a couple M76s down and blew one up at that moment the second enemy appeared. i was out of grenades by then so i got up and jumped down there with my mp5 guess what that idiot teammate does he fires a grenade at 10m distance and blows me up as well. And his excuse: sorry i was aiming for the enemy guy.

WHAT THE HELL IS THAT THING HANGING OVER YOUR M203 FOR?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!

poaw

You used to sleep easy at night.
Mar 25, 2001
Camp Pendleton, California
Getting those hard to reach areas in his nasal cavity.

Seriously: That has never happened to me, because I hold my M16 at the ready instead of my M203. I've missed opportunities to use my M203 because of it, but I've never blown myself or my teammates up.

SoSilencer

Harry Goz (1932 - 2003)
Nov 27, 2000
unrealdev.net
But a lot of people DO kill friendlies a LOT with grenades. Why? Because they use grenades FIRST.

I don't think everybody understands my points though.

1: People use grenade launchers at close range. In reality this would be extremely dangerous not only to yourself but to teammates.

2: People almost always launch grenades before firing their main gun. I don't know for sure but I would think that in real life grenades are used as secondary supressive weapons used to keep the enemies heads down and/or get enemies out of well fortified positions that cannot be killed with regular fire. If an enemy is hiding someplace and you know it than it is good to use a grenade, the problem is even if the enemy ISN'T hiding and it is extremely easy to hit them with regular bullets people don't. This is my biggest gripe. People don't even TRY to use their gun they shoot the grenade first then use the gun only if the grenade didn't do the job.

3: The military doesn't equip NEARLY as many soldiers with grenade launchers. They cost a lot and are only useful in specific situations.

Those are the three main problems. Too many people have them which is unrealistic, many use them as their first shot which is unrealistic, and make use them in close quarters which is unrealistic. If they made grenades heavier, or more expensive, people would be less likely to fire them if the gun could get the job done. If they were more dangerous to the user in close quarters you would see a lot less use of grenade launchers indoors. There isn't really a fair way to limit how many people per team can use them but if you made them more realistic in terms of usefulness I don't think this would be a problem anymore.

It also isn't the tactics I use, as many people have suggested. The reason it's so annoying is because many maps have a limited amount of paths to get to where you want to go. Cuban Dawn is a great example. The blue team often camps all 3 entrances with grenades making it virtually impossible for anyone to get out. All the red team can really do in that map is wait. It's not that it's a bad strategy to use it's just that realistically the blue team wouldn't have so many launchers and they wouldn't be so quick to use grenades because bullets can supress the red team just fine. Although the individual use in this situation is realistic, the use as a whole is completely unrealistic.

Col.Sanders

Oct 12, 2000
Don't want to rain on your parade folks, but high explosives make war efficient and not very fun. Sorry.

Wait until you hear about mortars. Imagine a 81mm grenade falling on your head from 2 miles out. Now imagine six of them landing at once, and six landing three seconds later, and on and on. You've just met a mortar team. So Sorry.

The whole idea is to hit the other guy before he has a chance to hit you first. So lob some grenades back!