Fortnite Alpha Signups

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
Last edited:

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
The more in depth game informer article specifically mentions Team Fortress and League of Legends as models. They claim they're going to do it "super fair". It sounds to me like there will be some serious perks to buying into the game, but that it won't give you a competitive advantage.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
I can totally see the appeal in buying cosmetic items for your fort, like furniture and lights and new textures/models for the actual fort. On top of that you have the obvious cosmetic things for the characters.

With what we've seen of the game though, I don't really see it taking hold like LoL has, or even UT.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
Looks like the real competition will be from N1Z1, which is basically supposed to be mmo DayZ, and also has base building. Early access is supposed to start in 6 weeks. Looks like SOE is rushing things like usual.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
I actually think DayZ is screwed. It's just taking them too long to make. But SOE doesn't seen to understand the genre at all. It will probably have the same shoot on sight problems combined the odd issues of MMO's like you see in Planetside.

The fortnite route seems less riddled with problems. Monster hunt with building. As long as the building and level progression is interesting this can could hold interest for a long time.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Oh look, the game actually does exist. :p

Huh, I thought it was going to be more Minecraft and TF2 than DayZ but oh well.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
What we have seen so far has absolutely nothing to do with DayZ. Like, it can not be compared in any way whatsoever.

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
It looks like this could be fun with a clan, but I'm not really digging the cartoon graphics. FFS, the UT4 Engine is right around the corner. Is this not totally going to take advantage of that?

_Lynx

Strategic Military Services
Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
It looks like this could be fun with a clan, but I'm not really digging the cartoon graphics. FFS, the UT4 Engine is right around the corner. Is this not totally going to take advantage of that?

They said they tried the realistic approach first, but it just didn't work with things appearing out of thin air.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
That guy in the video was just making a an endless staircase. I take it there's no physics support as far as your architecture goes?

Also safe to assume people will go with a trickpony build that makes the zombies circle around like target practice.

EDIT: Welp, that's their last chance to redeem themselves I guess. Then it's back to strictly making a game engine and laying off 30-ish employees.

Last edited:

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
That guy in the video was just making a an endless staircase. I take it there's no physics support as far as your architecture goes?

Also safe to assume people will go with a trickpony build that makes the zombies circle around like target practice.

EDIT: Welp, that's their last chance to redeem themselves I guess. Then it's back to strictly making a game engine and laying off 30-ish employees.

It's going to be Tim Sweeney sitting in a cage with a VR helmet coding engines, while Mark Rein bangs whores. The future is bright. You could say it's going to be Epic.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk

Watch the last game informer video I posted. It appears that there's no limit as long as your piece isn't floating in mid air. They show how they built this huge staircase, but destroying one piece at the bottom makes the whole thing fall down.

They also talk about how the monsters attack and get around your structure. They thought that they could just build a high tower and snipe, but then found out that the enemies could throw each other to the top of their tower. It also appears that they can break down walls.

To Billy's question Fortnite IS done with UE4. There's some amazing effects and lighting in the video. They're still able to show off the engine features despite it's cartoonish appearance.

The video also talks about PVP modes, and the F2P model.

Last edited:

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
I'm certainly going to at least try it considering it's F2P. It looks like it could be fun but I'm sure I could think otherwise once getting to play.

I agree that it'll still be able to use UE4 for some new cool technology and visuals, but really this seems to be the first time that a new Unreal Engine wont debut on some showcase title. I was expecting them to release a new game related to the tech demos like they did with Gears of War years ago.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Amen for the F2P part. I'll try it once. YOLO, whatever.

The future is bright. You could say it's going to be Epic.

Yes, it may be literally Epic Games

Watch the last game informer video I posted. It appears that there's no limit as long as your piece isn't floating in mid air. They show how they built this huge staircase, but destroying one piece at the bottom makes the whole thing fall down.

Ah okay. That's already better. I don't think they mentioned that in the video though (they were more busy mentioning they are not making another Gears of War), which may give a bad impression. (see me, for example)

Last edited:

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
Amen for the F2P part. I'll try it once. YOLO, whatever.

Yes, it may be literally Epic Games

Ah okay. That's already better. I don't think they mentioned that in the video though (they were more busy mentioning they are not making another Gears of War), which may give a bad impression. (see me, for example)

There's three videos. The trailer I embedded, the interviews with epic that I linked in the first post, and a video of game informer's impressions i linked a bit later. This last one is the one I refer to. It contains the most information.