DayZ standalone

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Yup, I got it as well yesterday, it's awesome. I think there should be a little more zombinies, but otherwise it's pretty amazing what they've managed. Just make sure you have friends to play with, or find somebody ingame, otherwise you'll get bored most likely.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
I think there should be a little more zombinies, but otherwise it's pretty amazing what they've managed.
you know as well as I do that DayZ was never about the zombies.
DayZ is about the people. the glorious, glorious people.

[m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcbG1bUCG9s[/m]

the best is when you and a buddy capture a long ranger and pretend you're going to execute him, but never actually do it. shooting unarmed prisoners is so barbaric. just keep asking them whether or not they want to eat a bullet but then proceed to force disinfectant spray down their throat, leaving them cuffed and without gear.

playing alone is asking for it.
I can't tell you how many times I've frozen up in fear after just hearing a shot fired or explosion in the near distance. or pretty much any time I encounter another player walking a few hundred meters in front of me coming over the horizon.

Mar 6, 2004
I like it when you approach a building and hear people talk, then try and creep near them thinking you are a zombie or something. I have not played this game since I made the thread, not as fun without people around and you are all alone.

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Did they fix the collision issues? Zombies killing you through walls and floors was just a bit much.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Zombies can still walk through walls. If you simply avoid fighting them while in a house, they are pretty easy to handle. Also, if you don't have a weapon, just try to lose them, killing them with fists takes ages.

Jackal, are we friends on Steam? I reckon we could play together, despite latency.

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Zombies can still walk through walls.

Deal breaker.

I realize that the real 'magic' of the gamer is other players - the risk of them killing you and thus the structures still have some use in hiding/evading - but the zombies are the more common enemy and if structures don't help you evade them then its a bug that has no place in a release. Especially as this is a long-standing problem and a serious one.

At first it was kinda fun; a wacky bug that was tolerable only because one believed that the devs would fix it soon, but it seems to be part of the game now? Broken. Pass.

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
Deal breaker.

I realize that the real 'magic' of the gamer is other players - the risk of them killing you and thus the structures still have some use in hiding/evading - but the zombies are the more common enemy and if structures don't help you evade them then its a bug that has no place in a release. Especially as this is a long-standing problem and a serious one.

At first it was kinda fun; a wacky bug that was tolerable only because one believed that the devs would fix it soon, but it seems to be part of the game now? Broken. Pass.
sucks to be you.
more DayZ for me.

you're blowing the issue out of proportion. no one spends any time indoors.
also, this is not the fault of DayZ development team. DayZ is built on the ArmA engine and the ArmA engine does not cater to indoors; it was designed specifically to handle massive outdoor environments and coordinating hundreds of individual units with no loading time. it has always had problems handling indoor collisions/clipping going all the way back to the days of Operation Flashpoint.

but being indoors is such a minimal aspect of DayZ and the zombies are always secondary to the people which - in my opinion - is why DayZ is actually the best zombie game on the market.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Deal breaker.

I refuse to believe anyone can be this fucking stupid. Do you really think they are not going to fix this? This is an absolutely bare bones alpha with game breaking bugs and glitches, this is written both on the Steam store page and as you launch the game. In addition, Rocket himself has said that you shouldn't buy the early access, unless you desperately want to support development.

The zombies handling aspect of the game is currently in the process of being ported to a thread of its own, so that a single CPU core can be dedicated to take care of them. Until that happens, the zombies clipping through walls will probably continue. That said, it doesn't really matter if you play the game for more than a few hours, as Jacks said.

Last edited:

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com

I keep being reminded of this and if we want to call things what they are instead of what we want them to be, "it's an alpha" is a manufactured excuse. Apparently it's easier to avoid responsibility by severely lowering expectations.

It would be easier to believe if it was called "beta". BI seems to be taking advantage of its audience not knowing typical dev stages.

Last edited:

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
I refuse to believe anyone can be this fucking stupid. Do you really think they are not going to fix this? This is an absolutely bare bones alpha with game breaking bugs and glitches, this is written both on the Steam store page and as you launch the game. In addition, Rocket himself has said that you shouldn't buy the early access, unless you desperately want to support development.

The zombies handling aspect of the game is currently in the process of being ported to a thread of its own, so that a single CPU core can be dedicated to take care of them. Until that happens, the zombies clipping through walls will probably continue. That said, it doesn't really matter if you play the game for more than a few hours, as Jacks said.

Take it down a notch there big guy.

The problem has been in the wild for a long, long time and it is a MAJOR glitch - a game-breaker. They haven't done anything yet, so it isn't much to say that I will take a pass until they address this glaring flaw. That alright with you?

Last edited:

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
ok ok.
call it a major glitch if you want. tomato, tomAto. potato, potAto.

but the point is that it's not a "game-breaking" glitch.
"game-breaking" implies that the game is, well, broken. it implies that the game is unplayable or literally cannot be enjoyed until fixed.

none of which is the case.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Take it down a notch there big guy.

The problem has been in the wild for a long, long time and it is a MAJOR glitch - a game-breaker. They haven't done anything yet, so it isn't much to say that I will take a pass until they address this glaring flaw. That alright with you?

That's perfectly fine, but you were making it out to sound as if this would never be fixed. The dev team them selves said that unless you really want to get in there and help with development, you should probably wait 6 months before you buy the game. The price won't change in that time.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
Is there a difference between this and the mod? $30 is pretty steep for an alpha game built on top of one of the clunkiest game engines out there.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Is there a difference between this and the mod? $30 is pretty steep for an alpha game built on top of one of the clunkiest game engines out there.

The majority of the work has gone into improving stuff under the hood. It definitely feels less clunky, but there's still work to be done. Supposedly, they are getting the guy who did the stance system in ArmA III to help out with DayZ. In terms of FPS, a lot of things have improved. The whole server-client relationship has been overhauled, so that your framerate is no longer dependent on the server. This has also greatly reduced the amount of possible hacks. The game has been improved a lot graphically, and there's still a lot of room for optimization.

The entire map has been revised, so that now every building can be entered and looted. The map has been expanded, and new towns have been added. Loot has been redone completely, so that it has a lot more spawn locations in each house.

The inventory system has been reworked completely, it is basically much much better. There is now a fleshed out clothing system, where different articles of clothing provide more or less inventory slots, as well protection. A lot of work has also gone into the hunger/thirst/blood/health system. A lot of factors play into your characters health now, and survival is definitely more complex than just chucking soda and eating whatever animal you come across.

Overall, the game has less features though. There's only 4 guns, zombies and loot do not respawn, and some houses do not even spawn loot to begin with. Some towns in the north are still being worked on. Right now, the fun of the game is the player interaction.

Last edited:

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
ok ok.
call it a major glitch if you want. tomato, tomAto. potato, potAto.

but the point is that it's not a "game-breaking" glitch.
"game-breaking" implies that the game is, well, broken. it implies that the game is unplayable or literally cannot be enjoyed until fixed.

none of which is the case.

So you say 'glitch' is a semantic splitting of hairs then throw a semantic argument back at me?

It is indeed "game-breaking" for me. Seems we are also talking tolerance for which in a game that is anything other than 'beta' - which this purports not to be - I have none.

Yes, poor me...I can't suffer through a buggy "alpha".

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
That's perfectly fine, but you were making it out to sound as if this would never be fixed.

Why hasn't it yet (June 2012 post on the subject) and how can a game go alpha with that kind of bug? It is major, despite what the fanatics might say. The bug has been around for a long, long time and the game goes alpha with the bug still present. To me, that is absurd.

Last edited: