Prison Economics Help Drive Ariz. Immigration Law

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
Someone pointed me to this article:
Prison Economics Help Drive Ariz. Immigration Law
October 28, 2010

Last year, two men showed up in Benson, Ariz., a small desert town 60 miles from the Mexico border, offering a deal.

Glenn Nichols, the Benson city manager, remembers the pitch.

"The gentleman that's the main thrust of this thing has a huge turquoise ring on his finger," Nichols said. "He's a great big huge guy and I equated him to a car salesman."

What he was selling was a prison for women and children who were illegal immigrants.

"They talk [about] how positive this was going to be for the community," Nichols said, "the amount of money that we would realize from each prisoner on a daily rate."

But Nichols wasn't buying. He asked them how would they possibly keep a prison full for years — decades even — with illegal immigrants?

"They talked like they didn't have any doubt they could fill it," Nichols said.

That's because prison companies like this one had a plan — a new business model to lock up illegal immigrants. And the plan became Arizona's immigration law.

The full article is here:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=130833741

So, what's the average reading on the bull**** scale for NPR?

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
I can't speak to the validity of that story in particular.

but I wouldn't necessarily be surprised.
that's because prison economics is what has driven United States drug enforcement policy. the US has been constructing privately owned and operated prisons for years now which are run for-profit.

how do you keep em' full?
mandatory minimum sentencing for drug possession, among other things. so who's to say they wouldn't take the same idea and apply it to illegal immigration?
it's scary stuff. the kind of thing that people should be more worried about than they are.

but hey, I understand.
Dancing with the Stars is on tonight. I can't be bothered with real issues.

pine

Official Photography Thread Appreciator
Apr 29, 2001
IRL
Visit site
Wow. To those reading this thread, I highly recommend reading the whole article, even though it's long.

Right now, Republicans are clamoring to cut NPR's funding. Can you hear them?

kiff

That guy from Texas. Give me some Cash
Jan 19, 2008
Tx.
www.desert-conflict.org
the US has been constructing privately owned and operated prisons for years now which are run for-profit.

how do you keep em' full?
mandatory minimum sentencing for drug possession, among other things. so who's to say they wouldn't take the same idea and apply it to illegal immigration?
it's scary stuff. the kind of thing that people should be more worried about than they are.

I agree that for-profit prisons are, at least potentially, a very bad thing and for many of the reasons you mentioned. That said, I'm very confident that the whole immigration thing is based off the problems the illegals are causing. Anyone that lives near the border truly understands the motivations.

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
I know a couple guys that live in Arizona, near the border, and they claim it is as big a problem as you can imagine.

I think they changed their concealed weapons law in response to the problem, and people close to the border are allowed to snipe.

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
My, why would I bump this thread? Let's see:

Corrections Corporation of America, the nation's largest operator of for-profit prisons, has sent letters recently to 48 states offering to buy up their prisons as a remedy for "challenging corrections budgets." In exchange, the company is asking for a 20-year management contract, plus an assurance that the prison would remain at least 90 percent full, according to a copy of the letter obtained by The Huffington Post.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/14/private-prisons-buying-state-prisons_n_1272143.html

cryptophreak

unbalanced
Jul 2, 2011
The USA has the highest incarceration rate of any modern country, and at the same time is populated primarily by essentially law-abiding pussies. These stories account for a portion of the artificially inflated prison population but by no means all of it.

A hideous place, really.

Last edited:

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
The USA has the highest incarceration rate of any modern country, and at the same time is populated primarily by essentially law-abiding pussies. These stories account for a portion of the artificially inflated prison population but by no means all of it.

A hideous place, really.

Very much agreed. More inmates than Russia can't be right.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Giving 5 years sentences for a first offence doesn't help...

1 in 32 US citizens are being currently within the criminal justice system.

One in thirty-two?!

How the hell are you still a functioning country?

cryptophreak

unbalanced
Jul 2, 2011
Because while superficially people like to argue about politics and demand changes, at their core, and when it really counts, people are weak and servile:

"Our problem is civil obedience. Our problem is that people are obedient all over the world, in the face of poverty and starvation and stupidity and war and cruelty. Our problem is that people are obedient while the jails are full of petty thieves, and all the while the grand thieves are running the country."

thewalkingman

ssssssssssss bugger!
Nov 12, 2000
Quahog
Visit site
The article is 2 years old .npr.russell pearce is no longer in office.Npr . There is no demand to build immigration prisons here in Arizona.Npr :).carry on tho.

Angel_Mapper

Goooooooats
Jun 17, 2001
Cape Suzette
www.angelmapper.com
plus an assurance that the prison would remain at least 90 percent full
JackieChan.jpg

Hermskii

www.Hermskii.com
Apr 13, 2003
Houston
Hermskii.com
The illegals are as bad as they can be. I'm in Houston. Southwest side to be specific. You can't go to a Home Depot here without about 50 Mexicans standing around trying to get work. They hang out at all the gas stations. You can't put air in your tires because they guard the compressor so they can put the air in for you and then they want to be tipped for their effort. One of my sons wasn't allowed into a public school I have paid taxes towards for over 40 years. reason he couldn't go there: He could speak English. True story. My other son was the only white kid in his class last year. They are both in private schools now thank GOD! Did you hear about the illegal alien who ran for Texas A&M Study Body President who was illegal? Read the news now. This is today.