A thread for spending currency only for greatly discounted electronic transactions

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Booster Trooper is, sadly, not any fun at all. Yet more proof that a side scrolling UT just doesn't work.

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
It's a direct soldat clone, I'm not really seeing the paralells to UT.

Soldat is tons of fun. BT just isn't any fun since they managed to mess up the controls and the graphics are about as plain as they get.
I somehow get mouse lag even though I got vsync off and all details to minimum. I can run starcraft on all high and still not get noticable lag.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
It's supposed to be a fast paced arcade shooter... which is what UT is. So how can you miss the parallels?

I've never played Soldat, but if it's anything like this, I would hate it. Everything fro the weapon accuracy, to the aiming, to the movement, to how everything looks is simply horrible. Fast paced arcade shooters don't work from the side.

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
Soldat is an immensely popular 2d deathmatch/ctf shooter which has been going for 7 years. It's still being played and updated, and I'd wager it has more players than any of the ut's.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqgTdHEL8pM

The perspective works a lot better since it's more zoomed out and the screen will peer the way you're aiming. The controls are just a lot tighter and responsive overall.
Most importantly it's free, which is why it's difficult to spend cash on a 'premium' game that plays worse.

BoosterTrooper is more of a soldat clone than 'inspired' by UT if you look at the jetpacks, weapon selection, and physics.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
There are no fast paced arcade side scrollers. If you think Duke Nukem is fast paced, you might be the one missing a hole.

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
Okay, so what is your definition of a fast paced arcade side scroller and how do you know they don't work if none exist?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I meant to type shooters :p Sonic is not a shooter.

Booster Trooper is the first game I've seen that tries to take the UT/Quake thing sideways, and it comes with mixed results. The biggest problem is that from the side, accuracy suffers badly making the "fast paced" part of it horrible.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
The next DLC is coming out in September, so I'd say it is right around the corner.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
I thought this thread was to see "what deals are going on on games anywhere", not "let's kill yet another thread by debating pointless drivel that no one cares about and is completely unrelated to the purpose of the thread."

Maybe I misunderstood.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
You should know how us retards do, sir!

Borderlands everything is $20 again so stop it with your jibber jabber and buy buy buy!

66% off everything Borderlands!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/8980/

I finally picked up Zombie Island and Underdome Riot. Hopefully this means the next DLC is right around the corner.

AARGH! Steam you do we wrong once again! I just picked up all but Moxxi's last week or so.)

oh well got Moxxi's tonight for the fluff of it. It probably adds zilcho to single player, but they did such a nice job on the game in general I don't feel bad kickin' in the ~$3 tip.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
AARGH! Steam you do we wrong once again! I just picked up all but Moxxi's last week or so.)

oh well got Moxxi's tonight for the fluff of it. It probably adds zilcho to single player, but they did such a nice job on the game in general I don't feel bad kickin' in the ~$3 tip.

Moxxi's isn't for single player, but it's a lot of fun in Multi.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Total Annihilation Commander Pack $5.99 at GOG.

Total Annihilation: Commander Pack includes: "Total Annihilation", "The Core Contingency" and "Battle Tactics"

f7a29489782fbfcb83a4fd6b1181aac251e61e3f.jpg

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
Thanks for that pointer. That was the final push that "forced" me to get a GOG account. Which means I'll very soon go completely broke.

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
Well dammit... found that greenish Claptrap in Fyrestone and thought it was something special. Tried to get to it and hit nothing but invisible wall and some poking around reveals it's just there to wave and go "HI!"