Top Ten Game Clichés

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
1Up has a short and sweet article on the Top Ten Game Clichés that must die!. Among them, one of my personal favorites:

Exploding barrels

Again, a little warehouse management can go a long way. You work in a field that's prone to random assaults and frequent gunfire, yet you spot your adversaries some free bombs in strategic locations. Some of you even tell your henchmen to hide behind them for cover. And if you survive Johnny Rambo's attempt to take you down, good luck getting hazard pay.

Twrecks

Spectacularly Lucky
Mar 6, 2000
In Luxury
www.twrecks.info
The most obvious:
You are on a one-man mission to save the univrse/world/cute chick.

Most Over-used:
Your nemisis will leave items lying around (ammo/weapons/information) that you can use to defeat them.

Turret 49

Doomer at heart
Jun 26, 2004
They shouldn't of said "moving crates" they should of just said "CRATES!". Crates should be number 1. They're in almost every videogame you can find.

Starry Might

bFemale=True
Top Ten Game Clichés said:
Ridiculous portrayals of females

Women have breasts. Get over it.
What about the often ridiculous portrayals of MALES?

Men have muscles. Get over it. :p

(BTW, I'm a heterosexual female.)

Turret 49 said:
They shouldn't of said "moving crates" they should of just said "CRATES!". Crates should be number 1. They're in almost every videogame you can find.
How about "SMASHING crates"! :D

Last edited:

MrMaddog

Flak Monkey
Jul 13, 2002
Parts Unknown
Starry Might said:
What about the often ridiculous portrayals of MALES?

Men have muscles. Get over it. :p

(BTW, I'm a heterosexual female.)

Yah, makes you wonder if they put 'roids in the health packs.... :rolleyes:

(Though that must explain the Quad Damage putting you in a rage....)

Majik

blargh
Jun 24, 2004
Denmark
EggBoy said:
Up and comming game cliche?: physics puzzles?

Yea definitely. I already began to tire of it after a few hours of playing HL2, Valve went total overkill with it IMO. That and the exploding barrels... :rolleyes:

MrMaddog

Flak Monkey
Jul 13, 2002
Parts Unknown
Majik- said:
Yea definitely. I already began to tire of it after a few hours of playing HL2, Valve went total overkill with it IMO. That and the exploding barrels... :rolleyes:

Tell me about it, they even had a room full of exploding barrels. :p

zeh

Jun 21, 2005
São Paulo, Brazil
www.zeh.com.br
Bullet10k said:
I don't get it...

Do you mean like losing all your weapons when you get killed in UT?

No, he means losing all your weapons in singleplayer: usually because someone captured you and you just managed to scape, so now you know have to survive with your fists/knife until you find a new weapon/your previous belongings. As in GTA:SA, MGS1, MGS2, DOOM 3, HL2, Chronicles of Riddick:Scape from Butcher's Bay, and countless others.

I think exploding barrels is one of the best. It's funny how nowadays if you find a barrel in a game, it's there to explode, no question: Riddick is a pretty recent example.

Gothik

Day Tripper
Jun 8, 2000
UK
Visit site
They forgot obligatory sewer levels, crawling through air ducts and toilets (with or without enemy in midst of using them).

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
Gothik said:
They forgot obligatory sewer levels, crawling through air ducts and toilets (with or without enemy in midst of using them).
and partially related: no matter how fortrified an area is, they always leave the keys lying around outside their massive doors.

Hmm...I'd think that the "one-man mission to save the univrse/world/cute chick" would be nr. 1. That, or the fact that over 99.9% of the women are 18-25 and have perfect measures.