I have no diea how to use maya

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

flo0tz

May 1, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
Ok, i'm making a map based off one of the Silmarillion landmarks (a book by J.R.R tolkien). I'm trying to make a nice tower, but i have no idea how to model or use maya 5. Can someone either help me with tutorials etc or (asking for alot) model it for me, if it's not too much trouble.

Any help would be useful, ty.

zombiewoof

Rokk Fiddler, Farmer
Oct 2, 2003
Oaksterdam, California
Visit site
FLuTe_ said:
Ok, i'm making a map based off one of the Silmarillion landmarks (a book by J.R.R tolkien). I'm trying to make a nice tower, but i have no idea how to model or use maya 5. Can someone either help me with tutorials etc or (asking for alot) model it for me, if it's not too much trouble.

Any help would be useful, ty.

Go to 3D Buzz and sign up. It's free. Download the 'VTM's on Maya, 3dmax , Lightwave - Better yet, download Houdini Apprentice , then the Houdini VTM's on the 3D Buzz site as well as the ones on the Side Effects site.. There are alo UnrealEd VTM's as well.

Last edited:

Devil_D

Modeler & music maniac
Oct 28, 2004
Sweden
Maybe i could help because i starting to get skilled with maya.
Just give me some pics of the tower or whatever it is and i can see what i can do.

MasterOfPoppets

Pesky Little Trites
Apr 9, 2004
England
If your willing to spend money, then the book "Mastering Unreal Technology" has a great section about Maya and how to import various types of models into UnrealEd. Its written by the guy that does the 3DBuzz VTM's and can be found here

flo0tz

May 1, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
jeez thanks Devil_D

Heres a pic of the tower, its not too detailed but it should do

111.jpg

And heres a picture of the city, it'll give you an idea of the scene so you know what you're doing

TheassaultonGondolin1.jpg

Devil_D

Modeler & music maniac
Oct 28, 2004
Sweden
First version

Well, i cant skin and im not the best modeler in the world but here comes my first version of the tower.
But i think i need a better pic of the tower, but i can see thats its a quite tall tower on pic number 2.

Does the tower have a name?

Attachments

• tower1v1.jpg
    tower1v1.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 50

flo0tz

May 1, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
Wow! thats really nice! great job. I'll try to look in to finding better pictures. And the i've skimmed through the silmarillion, and can't find a name, but the name of the city is Gondolin.

Thanks again mate.

Devil_D

Modeler & music maniac
Oct 28, 2004
Sweden
Well, it wasnt that hard to model this tower. Maya isnt hard to understand, but the exporting process and coding is far more complicated. And the animation.
Maybe i could learn you how to model (send a PM and i can see what i could teach you) but i cant skin or animate in Maya yet (but im working with it).

Also, modeling is far more easy when you have experience from a another modeling program.
I used milkshape3D (its a modeling program that is really good for those who are new to modeling) but i didnt know how to export models from milkshape3D so i started to use maya.

EDIT:
Sorry people, i cant get this model in-game. And thats because i cant find any answers,
and that noone wants to help me. So, the work has been cancelled.
You better find someone that can model the tower and can put it in-game,
or else... I NEED help! I have many more models waiting to be exported into ut.

Last edited: