CTF-SteelSky : frankenstien horror

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Stilgar

Ninja
Dec 20, 1999
Toitle
Visit site
Originally posted by Horton'sWho
BTW... I noticed you have a map at your site "CTF-Vortice." I'd love to try given what I just saw from you. When I went to DL it just gave me your work in discussion. I don't see it available in the NC database either. Is it playable? Could you upload it to Stealth's?

Thanks man

Wow, my site still works ? :D neat....ummm.. as luck would have it I borked the CTF-Vortice link a few days ago... I'll set it up tomorrow so that u can grab the map, which is a much older effort than my current one mind u :>
Also, I'm going to be upgrading to an AthlonXP 1600 in a short while, so when that's all ready to go the new map will be out the door in no time. And yes I made the textures myself, apart from the slime, which is a standard Epic texture. I'm glad you like them btw :)

Horton'sWho

www.unrealplayground.com
Dec 20, 2001
www.unreal playground.com
Niiiiiiiiice...

Great map--- makes you wonder how many very good maps are just sitting out there unknown because the mapper has such high standards (as you do) or some other reason for keeping it out of the public. Meanwhile there are 1000+ crappy ones waiting for download at places like Nali City and the rest. This one is very fun and Freakish and I will get it put up at www.stealthdp.com ASAP. We'll try to get it into the gameserver rotation soon.

Please stop in at Stealth's and check us out if you haven't. Check the various map sections (with viewable screenshots), the forums, etc. Your maps are welcome anytime (and tell your friends).

Again--- nice work.

PS-- now get to finishing up "NoName!" ;)

StoneViper

you can call me Mike
Nov 3, 2001
N43° 03' 16" :::: W77° 36' 03"
Originally posted by Stilgar
hmmmm.. I didn't notice the file size thingy.....duh...

I'm well aware of the polycounts, but I'm not terribly interested in optimising all that much with this map. The pillars and such aren't squared off for flow reasons, that goes for the diagonal cuts along the some of walls as well.
Most of the diagonal framework just wouldn't look the same as masks.... maybe apart from the ones in the pillars in the lower front half of the flag base, they could do with some choppin....
I guess there are some frame work brushes outside which could be optimised, maybe even converted to semi-solids, but again it wouldn't give the effect I wanted.
I know there are alot of unorthodox building methods in this map, but it really just started out as me playing around with the texture set ;> hehe
if the fps is bad enough, the flow will be destroyed anyway. only lots of very minor changes will greatly speed up this map. also, you said it took forever to compile¿, since the map isn't all that big, the reason it takes so long is because of all the unneeded bsp cutting, and extra nodes (and polys) than needed. i still think you shouldn't split them up.

Stilgar

Ninja
Dec 20, 1999
Toitle
Visit site
Originally posted by StoneViper

if the fps is bad enough, the flow will be destroyed anyway. only lots of very minor changes will greatly speed up this map. also, you said it took forever to compile¿, since the map isn't all that big, the reason it takes so long is because of all the unneeded bsp cutting, and extra nodes (and polys) than needed. i still think you shouldn't split them up.

now you're being too ambiguous... "you shouldn't split them up"
split what up ? ...the pilars ? the supports ? the trim ? the small walkways ?