Facebook buys Oculus for $2 Billion

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
And the guys that kickstarted the thing have no say so in this?

I can feel a class action lawsuit coming on.

Good for Notch. There is absolutely nothing petty about standing up for something he believes in. Facebook is an incredibly creepy and invasive company.

Word.

Not really... it's his game, and he can do what he wants with it.

Exactly. At least he has game and career which is more than Cliffy B. has these days.

Facebook can go fuck itself.

tumblr_kunga5MYd21qa0uujo1_500.jpg

Last edited:

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Notch is a dick. Minecraft has already been ported for the Oculus Rift by modders, perfectly I might add. Notch chooses to completely disregard their hard work.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Exactly. At least he has game and career which is more than Cliffy B. has these days.
No, he doesn't really have even that against CB since Notch doesn't actually involve himself in Minecraft's development anymore.

Last edited:

leilei

ANIME ELF'S !!
Jan 20, 2008
Abrash joined Oculus. Not good for Valve... but on the plus side Abrash and Carmack can bicker like it's 1996 again :)

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
No, he doesn't really have even that against CB since Notch doesn't actually involve himself in Minecraft's development anymore.

He still owns the game and has final say. It's his IP. That means he is involved in the game's development. What you're saying is that he is no longer punching code and Java. Two different things entirely.

Yeah; Facebook is the home of creepy parents who want to shame their kid to the point of suicide. Good game.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I don't care for Facebook as a company. At all. Why would I intentionally give them money for anything?

There will be tons of competition in this space. That is, if it ever heats up. There is no barrier of entry for dozens of companies that already make or buy cheap LCD screens and have the muscle to make awesome looking designs for the hardware as well. Oculus looks purely functional. With 1/10th the amount of time in the public eye, the Sony Morpheus headset already looks a billion times better. That's bad news for Oculus, especially now they are stuck with one of the least trusted companies in the US.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Our own Cliff B. has taken it upon himself to shoot down Facebook deal doubters. Yes, even including Notch.

http://dudehugespeaks.tumblr.com/post/80832803371/riftbook

And once again I agree with him. As I said before, he's like the House of video games, coming off as a douche but having a good reason for everything he says.
While I tend to generally agree with Cliff on many of his rants just by looking through his past posts, I think he's totally off on this one. I am worried about the involvement of facebook too and I don't share the monetical values that Cliff has like in his other post where he basically equates buying game with putting heart into it. On everything else he might have been right on spot but I think he isn't "unchained" enough then. He has a biased view still, especially because he has so much money to spend and hasn't seen the roughest side of things. But otherwise I'd say he's on a good way.
But in before occulus will transmit control stuff into your mind. Maybe that explains those two "frozen" individuals i saw two days ago in night, staring blank at each other and not moving.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
I don't care for Facebook as a company. At all. Why would I intentionally give them money for anything?

There will be tons of competition in this space. That is, if it ever heats up. There is no barrier of entry for dozens of companies that already make or buy cheap LCD screens

There is a lot more to making a good VR headset, than simply having a good screen. Oculus and Valve have done a ton of research into sensor fusion and motion control. You really want to move the latency below 20ms, and that is an incredibly difficult task to accomplish. Oculus has done a lot of ground work, involving the streamlining of different graphics engines' rendering pipelines, such as Source, Unreal Engine, Unity, CryTek and others. Carmack and Abrash is a huge part of this.

and have the muscle to make awesome looking designs for the hardware as well. Oculus looks purely functional. With 1/10th the amount of time in the public eye, the Sony Morpheus headset already looks a billion times better.

That's bad news for Oculus, especially now they are stuck with one of the least trusted companies in the US.
SONY's headset is not meant as a competitor to the Rift. It exists on its platform, and the OR exists on its platform. In my opinion there's barely any customer crossover. Considering the technicalities behind driving a good VR experience, I cannot imagine Morpheus delivering anything special. The PS4 is simply too weak.

All that said, SONY has been working on Morpheus for supposedly three years (they've said this them selves) and they had existing cutting edge HMD tech to work off of, which indeed was part of their initial prototypes. No other companies really have any of these advantages.

Last edited:

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
You spam birthdays.

no re

Obviously I hit nerve talking about your parents like that. (Or was it just your mom?)

You're a moron. Go fuck yourself. That's advice to you because, based on the attitude you show around here, no one else would get near enough with a barge pole to fuck you.

So do yourself a favour; go fuck yourself.

Last edited:

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Obviously I hit nerve talking about your parents like that. (Or was it just your mom?)

You're a moron. Go fuck yourself. That's advice to you because, based on the attitude you show around here, no one else would get near enough with a barge pole to fuck you.

So do yourself a favour; go fuck yourself.
rude10.gif

Terrible troll. wouldnotreadagain/10

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
rude10.gif

Terrible troll. wouldnotreadagain/10
Keep bawling child; perhaps someone will bother to pay attention to it one day....... and don't think I was trying to "own" you. I wouldn't lower myself to "own" someone who can't understand simple logic and then has to come back with insults.

You're an intellectual cripple; a fucking total waste of good bandwidth.

Last edited: