I'd like to understand what could "substitute" UT?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Jrubzjeknf

Registered Coder
Mar 12, 2004
The Netherlands
So yes, most mod makers do it for themselves, maybe close friends, maybe people on the forums, but they don't do it to get famous.

I do. Maybe famous is a big word, but I will try to get known better and make contacts this way. Tbh, if you get known with a name like me, you got it made. :D

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I didn't say mod makers wouldn't LIKE to be famous, but I don't know very many who are successful that do it FOR that reason. I agree that it gives you good experience and something to get contacts by, and I think that's great. Frankly, Jailbreak is one of the less than 1%, imo :)

But would you expect if you wrote a weapon mod that it would suddenly make you a god in the gaming industry? :)

Gnam

Feb 13, 2002
Yes, please.
I didn't say mod makers wouldn't LIKE to be famous, but I don't know very many who are successful that do it FOR that reason. I agree that it gives you good experience and something to get contacts by, and I think that's great. Frankly, Jailbreak is one of the less than 1%, imo :)

But would you expect if you wrote a weapon mod that it would suddenly make you a god in the gaming industry? :)
Honestly, I don't even know why fame even entered this discussion. Do you guys want some CS success story, or do you want to play a version of UT3 that solves all your gripes with the game?

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
Brizz, the person who suggested that would be me.
My response to you is: Way to blow things out of proportion.

What I said was that making a mod that noone will play is a pointless act, unless the modding process itself is what your main interest is. For most, it's the end result, not the process.
This has nothing to do with fame, and everything with satisfaction in your work. When you suggest that it's retarded to make a mod for the fame, consider how it would sound to you if I told you that all the movies out (even the cinema/high culture ones) are success stories, and that there are millions more movies made every day that noone is allowed to see.

Of course you're going to be interested in/be enjoying the process of creating mods, else you're spending your time on the wrong hobby. However, you don't make paintings and then throw them away ... you want to look at the end result.
The end result of a mod is people playing it.
That has nothing to do with fame and everything with common sense.

Also, the other 99% (according to your statistics) of mods that are made to NOT be played, or only by the modder himself, aren't mods we'll ever see on the internet and as such do not relate to this discussion about why there aren't any mods on the internet. Or to put it differently, they do not change the fact that there are very few mods out.
Who cares if I have a zillion completed, playtested and awesome UT3 mods on my harddrive if I'm not sharing them?

Sijik

Snagged an item.
Aug 27, 2004
All Hallows Sunset
The mod I did for Doom3 (mostly a "tweak mod" + skin pack, but it's growing slowly) was originally solely for my own purposes. I all but mastered the SP, so I started modding it to make it harder.
I eventually released it just for kicks, but that really wasn't the original purpose of it, and it's not the reason I still work on it every now and then...
Also, just as there is art made "for art's sake" or simply to practice a technique, there are mods made just to learn a process or test a gameplay idea. Mods aren't always made so that other people can play them.

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
I know it's possible to make it for yourself (although I suspect the 99% figure is grossly inflated).
I just want the point made that wanting your mod played does not equate to being an attention whore.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I know it's possible to make it for yourself (although I suspect the 99% figure is grossly inflated).
I just want the point made that wanting your mod played does not equate to being an attention whore.
I wasn't suggesting it always was, but all too often you see people make something then "leave the community" when it's not an earthshaking contribution.

I make mods because I like to play with them in Instant Action mostly. If other people get enjoyment out of them that is fine. I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting your mod to be well received, but as a mod maker you should understand that the likelihood of your mod catching on are not very high, no matter how good your idea is.