Ground Branch (by Blackfoot Studios)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Some bad news and good news.

Bad news: There will be no Kickstarter...

Good news: They'll sell the "early access" version off their site, beginning in a couple of weeks from now. Paperwork is the only reason that is holding them back right now, but the first early access version is ready to be shipped.

That means that if things go to plan, we will be playing the initial early access version in March, perhaps earlier.

The early access version will, of course, be very rough and in early alpha state, so don't have too high expectations, but it will be constantly updated as time goes by, until it is good enough to be put on Steam (early access).

http://www.blackfootstudios.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6998

tomcat ha

Feb 2, 2002
Visit site
yeah i read about that elsewhere.
Withholding from buying into it till i have a decent PC. I've spend too much money the last couple years on games that i either couldnt play because my laptop got too hot or i just feel like gaming. I really barely game anymore.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Doesn't look like something I would object.

[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMpp4R5HGys[/M]

[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AkVOFcuD7s#t=97[/M]

yeah I saw this video recently. But how long they made thet game? 2-3 years? And all they can show you this :)
People have donated money and these manufacturers have sold everything and now the question is what will the gameplay be. Will be such as it was promised by manufacturers or it will change by customers

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Technically they are making the game for 7 years (it actually was more than that), but if you begin to count time like beans with this project, than you have the wrong idea of its situation, because mostly they were not more than three people, who built the game in their free time while constantly doing contract work to feed the kids. I admit I expected more, but what do I know...

All sorts of cheap-ass mods and total conversion have at least close to 10 people working on the projects, in their free time, but still continuously, with results like Insurgency, Red Orchestra, The Dark Mod, etc, but an indie project like Ground Branch is empty on volunteers and has to fight its way through the odds with only 3 guys, despite the fact that they have a community behind them, which used to create huge fan mission projects for Ghost Recon and R6. Why Blackfoot is still short on people I don't know, but that's how it is. Life always likes to proof that it's unfair.

I keep my expectations low and take whatever they can give me and the fact that I still have no game like this to play, in the past 7 years, shows that there are no more options anyway.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Yes, sigh, but still, Ground Branch is moving forward, at a slow pace, but it moves.

It shouldn't take too long and we will have something to chew on, but still keep your expectations at a reasonable low, which I think is not too hard to do for us, given the state of things.

Logan6

TC Vet
Dec 23, 2003
Arghh! I hope a successor to INF comes soon. I keep trying to play Arma 3 and its pretty bad. There's something about that game that just feels so ancient, clunky, and unwieldy. Even trying to open a door is near impossible. Takes you like 5 seconds to get the door symbol up so you press the interact button. In a fire fight you would be dead. I think they just threw something together so they could get suckers money. Secondly, you need a PhD in game design to make the ancient editor do anything. Even UT1's editor was better. We need a new game with a new engine.

Last edited:

Logan6

TC Vet
Dec 23, 2003
Wow, the shit is hitting the fan on the Arma side now. First, an absolute revolt on the Arma 3 steam forums over the Go-Karts bullshit, and now a hacker has accused Battle Eye of hacking into peoples computers and uploading any and all files to BE. So what do BIS do? They get their community manager to tell everyone to go fuck themselves on Reddit. Now, their only reply to all the angry backlash is "read the eula", over and over.

Screw BIS, these people are no longer the company of old.

Last edited:

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
Anti cheat software is essential spyware with a "we promise we are not the bad guys" painting. It has been that way for ages. I probably ranted about that here when I learned that punkbuster could take screenshots back in the days of, I don't know, I think dinosaurs were still roaming the earth back then. So yeah, nothing new there. People didn't care back then, I doubt they care now.

DarkStar911

Apr 3, 2012
The amount of time it is taking for Ground Branch is enormous, it looks and seems like a worthwhile game. But does anyone here think that they are hiding many particular malfunctioning bits and pieces of the game that they just cannot build? I am kind of cautious about good looking community games that have AI in them. One, even Infiltration doesn't really have that good of AI... it could even be worse than Takedown. I think in some ways you guys may be assuming a little too much on how well this game will turn out. If it turns out like Swat 4 AI but a bit more serious or militant, then you're going to see a pretty cool single player or coop game. But if the AI are running around and don't legitimately have goals then you will find that you can outsmart them severely, and you wont have all too much trouble doing anything unless they have godly aim. It's just like playing Quake bots in a Arena DM shooter, they can have great aim but can be so predictable and outsmarted that playing them is boring.

One really good example of masterful AI is in Halo Combat Evolved, ignoring some silly portions of the game you can find that the Covenant AI is so strong on Legendary that you have to do things in particular ways to proceed through the missions. Some games require train of thought, and these tactical shooters are the type of games that should push that mentality the most and something like Halo could trump it. I am just saying that Indie-Game dev's sometimes have to hide their downsides of their products. And sadly the worst thing that is usually missing in a tactical shooter is decent AI.

Ocsi88

Jul 20, 2009
Your right, but first be at INF's level (without puzzle feeling, when setting it up and some detail issues :p), so you have a good pvp game. :)

Btw, Unreal has great AI (halo's ai has similar feeling) and INF in unreal coop mode is much fun (if the settings arent that crazy :D).

Logan6

TC Vet
Dec 23, 2003
It seems like Realistic FPS has pretty much died. Battlefield and Crysis Wars are about the closest I've seen to realistic in a long time. And of course, Inf was better than them, reality wise.

I'm waiting for DCS:World 2.0 now. It has super realistic flight simulation in a HUGE World. After 2.0 comes out, we might see realistic vehicle and infantry modules being developed. It could be the next INF! ON A GRAND SCALE!

tomcat ha

Feb 2, 2002
Visit site
grandscale is one thing, but id rather see something on a smaller scale. If anything i want something more in the vein of the first red orchestra.

I-C-A-R-U-S

Jul 11, 2013
tomcat ha;2613255 said:
grandscale is one thing, but id rather see something on a
smaller scale. If anything i want something more in the vein of the
first red orchestra.

Agreed.

Red Orchestra 1 really managed to combine realism genre with tense action in small/medium environments.

Ocsi88

Jul 20, 2009
They say that is a reality.
See how the gun shoots from his hand as if in the hand had a wooden gun.
Everything I like is graphics.

Dont be a troll... ;(
The shooting animations are removed, thats why its like that. It was explained earlier.
The reload is dumped down too.
Look at the early videos and the killhouse videos in comment #126.
Its pre-alpha, you know...

Btw, its funny that in Arma 2 the animations(?) have similar feeling, while its a released game...