Chat software and online play?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

randyannie

Prozac
Oct 13, 2004
Pensacola, FL
Hey urybody, I was wondering what you do if you want to chat while playing online? Do you play in windowed mode, or is there a way to overlay full screen UT2004?

Thanks for your input, Randy (Maj.Prozac_BuF)
PS: Don't make me drink out of my Beyond Unreal coffee cup . . . cuz I got one. :D

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
randyannie said:
Hey urybody, I was wondering what you do if you want to chat while playing online? Do you play in windowed mode, or is there a way to overlay full screen UT2004?

Thanks for your input, Randy (Maj.Prozac_BuF)
PS: Don't make me drink out of my Beyond Unreal coffee cup . . . cuz I got one. :D
:lol: I do plan to buy some BU merchandise, eventually. :)

When I want to chat while playing, I usually leave the game windowed, taking about 3/4 of the screen, so I can kinda still see what's behind it and switch back and forth easily. (Fortunately that "Windows cursor sometimes doesn't want to disappear after switching back and forth a lot" bug that Unreal and UT had doesn't happen in UT2k3/4...)

HuggyBear

manta claus
Feb 23, 2004
We do have a teamspeak server that was set up for FragBU, but we use it when we play during the week, too. Between that and the built-in voicechat, I barely need to type any chat messages unless they're really, really crass.

randyannie

Prozac
Oct 13, 2004
Pensacola, FL
For this topic I was mainly referring to Xfire, AOL IM, IRQ, etc. I know how to chat ingame by hitting T and typing my message. I guess I was just trying to understand how or why I would use a secondary chat software when there is one within UT2004 already.

The best benefit with Xfire,so far, seems to be that I can find friends quickly and easily with Xfire and click right on the link to join them, but once I click the link and join Xfire goes away because I'm running UT in fullscreen.

Later I will have a ? about voice chat.

Randy

:cake: <---Boogityboy
____________ <---and Randy during last weeks FragBU

HuggyBear

manta claus
Feb 23, 2004
Hey randyannie, I saw you join up in a bad vctf map while I was painting the underside of my manta, but I didn't get a chance to run you over.... :/

randyannie

Prozac
Oct 13, 2004
Pensacola, FL
Ha Ha. Yeah I saw you online Huggy, and decided to join. New map: I was lost, but I did manage to get shot down while covering one of my teammates. :rolleyes: :lol: but then again I can't tell you how many times I've shot myself in the face with my own rocket launcher :rl: :( :)

Maj.Prozac_BUF aka Randy ;)

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
HuggyBear said:
The map was new to me, too - but it does prove the usefulness of xfire!

Randy, last night was an example of how XFire is useful as well. I was in a game and you sent me a message about wanting to scrim. Your XFire message popped up in the lower right corner. I was able to jump out of the game and get together with you.

randyannie

Prozac
Oct 13, 2004
Pensacola, FL
Yeah Ren, I love it for that feature for sure. :) I read Boog's thread about Xfire chat ingame and was actually already enabled in the Show Chat check box.

But, say I were playing DM on a random server (fullscreen), but I had Xfire open (hidden behind UT2004) when I IM'd you, did you have to hit the Window key to see who was talking to you, or did it just pop up in the middle of your game in UT2004?

You're the man now Dawg :D Randy (Maj.Prozac_BuF aka The Prozakian Warlord.....JK)