GRRRrr, bad memory chips?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

HuFlungzeDung

Nov 24, 1999
Kanada
Visit site
I built an athlon 700 lately, on an FIC SD-11 m/b and I've been running with 64 meg of sdram which I pulled from my AMDK6-2-350. It works ok with this memory, but it is a bit choppy (in a game) at times. I ordered a 128 meg PC100 and it kept giving me errors on bootup. I cleared CMOS and reset everything, but to no avail.

I put my old chip back in and it works fine. I sent the chip back and got another one today. Same problem!!! What are the chances of two bad chips in a row?

I've also tried installing them in every available memory slot in case of a bad socket. No fix!

I built an Athlon 550 6 months ago, using the same brand of components and m/b, but with 2-64meg sdram chips in there. It works fine, although it does seem to balk a bit if I pull the chips out (to test another one for example) and then put the original chips back in. Sometimes I'll have to shuffle them around, but when it finally accepts them, it is good forever after until I disturb them again.

Anyone else had such experiences?