Uh...random crashes?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
As of today, I've had nearly every single program I've tried to run, suddenly crash, with no warning signs whatsoever. Mozilla, UT, Winamp, aim, a few other games, just to name a few. I'm not sure what could be doing this, but I did have to get a new XP key from Micro$haft tech support, since apparently I had used the one on the back of my package too many times.

Incidently, I've seen alot of chop in every game I run now. This has been going on for a while, maybe a week, week and a half at most. It seems my comp lags for a second everytime a new sound is played, like I've been opening normal wood doors throughout a level, but if I open a metal door, it has to think of what sound to play. It's not a quick hiccup, this is _very_ noticeable, I'll hit a hitch that lasts a good three to five seconds. I defragged about a week ago, so I dont think it's fragmentation. Wtf could be causing these problems?

Beowolf

hail to the king
Feb 2, 2003
barracksnetwork.com
Reformat!

Really, I don't know...

Try turning the power voltage up to 7.5 in your BIOS Monitor/Hardware section. I had a similar problem, only it would completly lock up, and that worked.

Mar 6, 2000
London
www.mox-guild.com
I would exhaust EVERY single option before playing around with your voltage.
You've spent a lot of money on this pc so you will be well pissed if something melts.

Hit "CTRL-ALT-DEL" and take a screen shot of what processes you are running before you go into the game (sort by CPU and by mem usage) and post it here.

BTW you are running an uptodate virus scanner?

DeaJae

taking a month's break
May 7, 2001
England
www.littleportitservices.co.uk
have you set your CAS latency for your RAM correctly?

dunno if RIMM's have a standard in CAS but decent DDR is usaully 2.0 or 2.5.

if the CAS between the new stick you put in is different to the one you got in there that could well be the problem :/

Last edited:
Rocket and Hunter: Now that you mention it, I have installed a network card fairly recently. As for my sound card, it's an Audigy Platinum eX.

Fluid: Before I load a game, and after I finish up (or it crashes) I compare temperatures, just common practice. All temperature increases are well within normal amounts.

Syri

Who are you calling short?
Aug 18, 2000
Nottingham, England
beerbaron said:
Rocket and Hunter: Now that you mention it, I have installed a network card fairly recently. As for my sound card, it's an Audigy Platinum eX.

Fluid: Before I load a game, and after I finish up (or it crashes) I compare temperatures, just common practice. All temperature increases are well within normal amounts.
well, you do occasionally get faulty cpus... i have an athlon xp2100 that crashes at 57 degrees c, which should be well within limits, in fact, i am using an athlon 1.4 that runs at 70 some of the time perfectly happy....

Syri

Who are you calling short?
Aug 18, 2000
Nottingham, England
oh, one other thing, could possibly be the hdd failing. a friend had that happen recently. games would drop to windows, or the system would freeze for ages like it was loading, then kick in suddenly. turned out one of the platters on his hdd had slipped, so wouldn't always line up to the heads properly