Weapons at the ready.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DeadeyeDan[ToA]

de oppresso liber
Mar 2, 2000
Tucson, AZ, US
www.clantoa.com
Hehe, don't I feel like an ass now...

That was a typo- it's fixed now though. Was thinking about using a real rifle at ranges typical of paintball fields. (And I don't mean 2 shots in the *exact* same spot, just close enough to make 1 odd-shaped hole instead of 2 distinctly seperate ones)

[This message was edited by DeadeyeDan[ToA] on Jan 26, 2001 at 18:46.]

Col.Sanders

Oct 12, 2000
Snakeye:

I don't understand your numbers for "minute of angle".

A minute of angle (arc-minute) is 1/60 of a degree. A second of angle (arc-second) is 1/60 of a minute. Simple.

1/60 = 0.01666666666667 // 1 MOA is .016 degrees.
tan (0.016) = 2.908882087478e-4 //so the ration between length on the target and the range to the target is .00029/1.
100x2.9x10^-4 = 0.02908882087478 //100 meters
100x.029 = 2.908882087478 // 100 cm in a meter.

So 1 MOA is 2.9 cm at 100 m. The size of a group fired from a rifle is measured as the distance between the outside of the holes of the two furthest-spread shots, i.e. the whole group would fit in a 2.9cm hole, without touching. Sometimes, groups are measured for record "On center" which means they subtract bullet diameter because then smaller bullets would make smaller groups.

1-MOA is convientent to shooters used to the English system of measurement because it is very close to "1 inch at 100 yards".
I can tell you from personal experience that a rifle right off the shelf can shoot .76" groups (outside diameter) with factory ammo, not match ammo, and if you only count the tightest 4 shots, it's .35". and that was shot with .224" bullets. For two bullet holes not to touch, the group would have to be .448" or greater outside diameter, and it was smaller than that.

4 shots, 100 yards, outdoors, ice on the ground and a January breeze, shooter lying on a blanket, $150 rifle and $100 scope, .35" = one ragged hole.

I beg to differ-- rifles can shoot into the same hole under field conditions.

DarkBls

Inf Ex-admin
Mar 5, 2000
France
ahhhh....

Ahhh the tango 51 .... .25 MOA ;)

sniper.gif

{Just REALITY. Other things are unnecessary}

Neglous8

Nov 30, 2000
I know my brother is able to make holes in his target over lap each other. At 100 yards, Crouched, open sites, using standard ammo with a standard WWII spec M1 Garand, with a air tempature of about 78F (was in june). I've personally seen him do it several times. r

R-Force

(IF)
Nov 21, 2000
Canada, Quebec, Terrebonne
There is a difference between a hunting rifle and an assault rifle... Guns made to fire on full auto generally don't have the same accuracy than a rifle made for single shot over long range... It's not the same. There also a quality question, and cost has little to do with the things quality, they can be cheap but very reliable.

Sure you can put two bullets in the same hole, but can you do it all the time, on purpose? How many try do you need? How long do you need to aim for that.

In real life battlefield, i doubt it happen too often.

I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

Neglous8

Nov 30, 2000
Three Shots.

I've seen him (my brother) do in three shots, in a spread the size of a quarter at 100 yards, open sites. One shot overlaping another. And it was on purpose. I would say over all, from the first shot to the last, it was about 4 minutes. A little of that, getting in the crouched position.

You have to think when your in the services this is what you do for a living, you site in your weapon. And practice shooting it. So you will be able to do get patterns the size of silver dollars or quarters (US Money ).

Me on the other hand I need a scope due to a scar, that I got on the lense of my right eye. When I was 15..

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Klagenfurt, Carinthia, Austria
Visit site
Col.Sanders:

2.9 is the radius; thought they calculated it with the radius, but not sure anymore..
If MOA is the diameter you just have to divide my numbers with 2.

Sorry, but in fact I just wanted to show that accuracy is limited.

Snakeye :D

anything you do can get you killed, including doing nothing

Col.Sanders

Oct 12, 2000
R-Force

The $100 rifle in question is a cheap single-shot weapon, hardly a specialized hunting rifle.

I've seen similar and even *smaller* sub-MOA groups shot with stock AR-15's, which are merely semi-automatic M-16's. Only modification was the addition of a scope, and the cadence was about 1 round a second. Bap. Bap. Bap.

The M-16 design can be fantastically accurate.

Neglous8

Nov 30, 2000
I too have seen, personally military rifles and there civilian version firing quick shows. With tight groups, at 100 yards or more. With open sites.

Most military weapons are accurate, with training the operator make them extremely accurate. These more modern guns aren't the Russian W.W.II submachine gun, just to spray rounds, having hardly any open sights. Most assault rifles are made around how accurate they can be, ease of use, and durability.

These aren't paint guns, there weapons to get the round s down range, right where the user wants them to be. As accurately as they can be, under the stress of combat. The more accurate you are to get the rounds down range of the target, getting or wounding it the first time. Saves that, person, unit, army from exposing themselves from further dangers.

As for me, I feel that majority of the players of INF and soldiers in real life situations. Will always go for there sites, over any kind of hip shooting. Why, for one reason. There are enemy infantry coming up the street. Firing from the hip, in INF it is possible to get a kill. Maybe taking a couple shots, one to two of them to get your target ranged and sighted in. Then the third hitting your target. That is if you can do it in three shots. These two shots getting your range, will tip of your intentions to the enemy, reveal that you are there even if they can't see you. On the other hand, getting in to position raising your guns to use the sites. Finding your target. Aiming at the largest target the chest. Depending on what weapon (Robar does it in one) Firing two quick shots target is dead, rapidly move to another target and repeat. It is possible to take 2 to 3 targets out in a matter of ten seconds. Having the first two targets drop before the other enemy realize where it came from. Then move position and set up for again.?

[This message was edited by Neglous8 on Jan 31, 2001 at 15:25.]

Bullzeye

A damn shifty character...
Jan 30, 2001
I'm lost...
Not a bad idea... but it's just not necessary

HEY, c'mon, do we really need to be THAT realistic... I mean I understand the idea, but it is just a nitpik, realistic or not... Just let it go, it won't kill you, but I might, firing from the hip too... :p

R-Force

(IF)
Nov 21, 2000
Well, i don't know why every time someone bang about hipshooting they think you need several shots to zero in... I can hit the target on the first shot 90% (if not more, with a laser tag gun, i'm dead on accurate from very far away, i never "aim" with thoses ) of the time, be it in inf or in real life (well, it depend on the range and the gun, but i can do it from a nice range), and i don't need the see my shots (or the spot they have hit) to know where i was shooting. But by what i keep on reading, i am an exeption that confirm the rule.

In Inf i do get deliberate headshots from hip with the m16 on semi-auto, and most of the time on the first try, and i don't need to focus my attention on the gun too much (far less than with the aimed position, but maybe it's because i did not practice it enough). Of course, i do aim from time to time, when i know i really need to, but i dislike the way the gun handle when aiming with the sight.

But, having said all this, what i can do is not what the average guy do. Most players will use their gun sighted.

I know enough to know that I don't know enoug

[This message was edited by R-Force on Feb 01, 2001 at 18:58.]

Neglous8

Nov 30, 2000
A Laser Tag gun has has no recoil at all. Having shot laser tag guns and real weapons. It is nothing a like. A laser tag gun, you can shoot it and shoot it and you pulling the trigger won't make you get off target, because there is not recoil to the gun. It is a gun based on light, if you take a flash light out side at night. Turn it on. Shine it at your hand. The circle of light is pretty small. Now shine it 50 feet away from you, how big is the light radius now? The further light has to travel the bigger the radius of it is going to be. Even a laser site gets larger with the distance. I'm not questioning that you would be able to hit things from the hip with a gun based on light. I have done the samething. Plus the sensor of the laser tag on the player your shooting has it's own arc of what light it will pick up and what it won't.

Unless your using a shot gun, the pellets will expand out, the further they travel. A bullet doesn't get bigger and bigger the further it travels. I don't doubt that you make hip shots in INF, with burst. You would just have to aim towards there feet, squeeze off the burst, and it is going to climb right up the front of them. But how far away where you from them?

For me, I aim the M-16 in INF, I use single shot, and make head shots, and good distances. With one round. Every so often it does take me two shots, because I hit the first one in the chest. (Can't wait til the damage system, is in for bleeding). I have made many many, single shot head shots. Using iron sites with the M-16. I usually am in the first, building on the left side of the street. In extreme predjuice. The one where you can get on top of the roof. Standing right next to the window, leaning out of it. Now from this position you can't see down the street because the building in front of you. But you can see acrossed the street up on the hill. I've shot, several bots, with one shot. That where walking on the hill. Talking one shot for each one I killed. Using open sites, single shot. Was kind of cool, seeing the bot drop then they would slide down the hill. A lthough only got two before the rest of the bots ran down the hill. Have done this on many occasions. Or being the building a head of that. Shooting out the window, again aiming open sites, with the M-16, in single shot. Usually don't switch to burst, unt il the enemy is in a certain range. From this position you can see the bots run to the wall to start coming up the street, or start they run accrossed the street heading for the crashed C-130. Again, using single shot, open sites, with the M-16, killing with head shots. Them running acrossed the street is a harder shot, have to lead it a little. I need to work on that kind of shot. ;))

[This message was edited by Neglous8 on Feb 06, 2001 at 03:30.]

R-Force

(IF)
Nov 21, 2000
Neglous8, i don't see why recoil should have much more effect shooting from hip than from sight, i both case you can control it ( i believe you can control the recoil easily from hip, but i don't have a smg at home to try it ;) ). As for the laser tag gun, the fact the beam can become larger at range don't affect much the aim of the user (unless it become so large he can't miss, but in that case it's most likely defective), at least with the ones i used (the "pay per game" kind, not the "use at home kind").

As for Inf, i don't require the burst mode to make kill from hip (but i admit it's easier that way). I can get headshot from about 20-25 meters away (difficult to tell real distance in inf). Behond that i generally turn to aim mode, unless i feel lucky (the guns are too innacurate). Most of my miss are due to the "idle" animation that move the gun and make me attemp to correct the aim, but i'm learning not to react to it...

I don't claim i do hit head all the time, the guns in INF don't allow it, but i can do it quite often if i want to (but since it generally takes only 2-3 shots to down a bot, and we have plenty of ammos, head shots are not that needed).

I know enough to know that I don't know enough

[This message was edited by R-Force on Feb 06, 2001 at 21:40.]

[This message was edited by R-Force on Feb 06, 2001 at 21:50.]

Neglous8

Nov 30, 2000
Recoil has a lot to do with shooting. Plus weight of the weapon. R-Forces, please go fire some real weapons.

Real fire arms, kick, jerk back, climp up when shot. Your experience with Paint Ball, and Laser Tag doesn't apply, these elements aren't there.

Having fired many weapons, holding them from the hip you have nothing to brace it against. Can't brace against your chest or stomach, one that would be stupid. ;) Two it could possibly fracture a rib or bruise you from the recoil and kick of the weapon. .22 has hardly any kick. If your shooting anything bigger it is a different story. Plus depends on barrel length, powder grain, etc.

Aiming through the sites, you brace the butt stock against your shoulder to minize this effect. Plus in doing this, using your front hand to hold it down, plus your shoulder is helping hold it down from the climb of the muzzle aswell.

Even as I write this, I know for R-Force it will never be that way. I'll be wrong and he'll be right. That, I have no idea what I am talking about. ;) Go in to in lengthy example how hip shooting works. When with real fire arms, it doesn't work that way. From personal experience knowing numerous shooters of military weapons and service personal. Combat veterans and so on..

Hannibal

Jan 6, 2000
Visit site
this is getting off-topic

I don't see why people are missing Wolf Being's point: if holding the gun against your shoulder is more realistic and practiced by militaries more often that firing from the hip, then put it in. We're looking for realism, so forget any points about gameplay. And forget machine guns, because we don't have any that players can carry with them. If you want a hip position for the SAW when it gets in, we'll discuss that then. Why isn't Wolf Being posting here to clear things up?

R-Force

(IF)
Nov 21, 2000
Neglous8 : Ok,ok, you are right, i did not think about that (you are wrong to say i would never change my mind)... This would explain why a robar CAN'T be used from hip (they should put your explanation in the manual, but strangely in inf you can ;) ). I think all depend how the gun was made and it's caliber : i would have no doubt that a uzi, held in both hands would be easier to use hipped than a mp5 or a m16 (but then again i don't know).

Why do you think i write this : I know enough to know that I don't know enough

Neglous8

Nov 30, 2000
For many, many years hip shooting has bothered me really bad. Especailly in the movies. I just wanted INF to make things seem as realistic as possible. When playing INF for the first time the player would be Whoa, this is something new. I can't do this, or this. I have to learn how to be good. :)

In my online flight sim experience (WarBirds and AirWarrior). I wasn't a lone when I would read about the real plans, read about what they could do and what they couldn't do. When to use it and when not to use it. It add a new deminsion. Was always funny you could tell the newbies. Jumping in there P-51 Mustangs. Then wondering why they can't stay with a Zero. A P-51 was a medium to high fighter, best used at high speeds. Once it got low and slow, it was harder to fly. While as a Zero was a medium to low attitude fighter, and it could turn extreme well. It couldn't go as fast though. And could be damaged extremely easy.

These elements I have always wanted to see ina FPS. When you see players online, and they're sniping. Know they must be pretty good to be able to do that at long range.

I just think developers should give credit to the players. Everyone is always Playability over Realism, for me I will always choose realism. I want something that I have to learn and try at to get good. It will keep me coming back. Something that the smallest thing is realistic. To hold it above other games or MODs. Just some developers seem to think the end user isn't bright. That we couldn't understand a more complex game. In WarBirds my stick and throttle set had 42 different buttons to do 42 different things. Shortly it was all second nature. Yes there was a lot of things, but you didn't use everyone of those every second.

Just want to see INF to set new standards in game play, realism. Not just become another military MOD, that has a ton of weapons just to have them. Have the INF team push the limits. Give stand alone games a run. It can be done. There is ways this could be done. Having Adm options for servers how realistic do they want to go, etc. Giving the server end controls, as mention in other posts. Tuning on realistic sniping. Having to adjust for windage, and elevation. Having visible weapons on the outside of the bodies. Turning off shooting from the hip. Things like there where they could be easly shut off.

For me the shooting from the hip is one thing that makes INF look like every other MOD. Just want INF to race to the top in realism. Make it feel like you are really there, make it where, learning real tactics in the game will help you. t

R-Force

(IF)
Nov 21, 2000
What i was banging against was : "you can't aim from hip". Ok, it may be true that real soldiers don't use hipshot, but what i lacked was a real reason for this... Aiming was a stupid reason, but they always came back with it... Now recoil control is a good reason, most modern guns are not made with a good grip for hipshooting and this is a good enough reason (they are made to be used sighted)... Old WW1/WW2 smgs were made with a forward handle, making it easy to get a good grip and control recoil without resting the gun on your body : most newer guns don't have it ( at least to my knowledge ). Combat shotguns seem to have the perfect grip for recoil control, but then again the range at witch they are used don't require much aiming...

I know enough to know that I don't know enough