Dark Souls II Gameplay

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
The lighting has improved drastically from the previous two games (Demon's Souls had drab lighting, Dark Souls had somewhat less drab lighting). And no, they shouldn't put it into an expansion. The changes here in terms of the art department are a fairly big leap. The environment lighting in the previous two games was not very dynamic. Yes, gameplay is familiar, but it should be. The small changes to gameplay should hopefully be a big positive difference when the game is released.

The environments are much more expansive and detailed, and the overall level design looks promising. Finding out different ways to tackle situations is incredibly important in this game's design.

Another thing: The animation doesn't look clunky like previous games.

Having been one of those people continually going through Dark Souls binges since the game's release, the graphics depicted in the gameplay demo are considerably improved...as in improved in all the ways I wanted them to be and not in the ways that would ruin what makes Dark Souls work and continue to eat up my gaming time when games like Skyrim serve as coasters for my beverages. The tails of the Knight's coat swaying in the wind are minor but significant improvements to the static models of its predecessor. Anyone that has played through Dark Souls even once can tell the tech here is much better, as that game looked fine and used its faculties as good as they could have possibly been used, but compared to what could have been done at the time it was a dated game perhaps.

What is a relief to me as a fan of the series is not so much what is new (though what is new is cool) but what is still the same. Dark Souls is a game that does not wear out its welcome easily, once you allow yourself to understand and get into it. It did something remarkable when games with much more complicated budgets tend to blow their load in about four hours, which is why I'm still playing it. And this demo gives me hope that I'll be doing the same for Dark Souls 2.

The torch use is interesting, and I quite like that they thought of a way to give the AI counter attacks to backstabs. The part with the cell wall being toppled by an angry enemy was also eyebrow raising and I am quite interested to see what sucker punches the guys at From are gonna throw at me in this game.

Last edited:

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Having been one of those people continually going through Dark Souls binges since the game's release, the graphics depicted in the gameplay demo are considerably improved...as in improved in all the ways I wanted them to be and not in the ways that would ruin what makes Dark Souls work and continue to eat up my gaming time when games like Skyrim serve as coasters for my beverages. The tails of the Knight's coat swaying in the wind are minor but significant improvements to the static models of its predecessor. Anyone that has played through Dark Souls even once can tell the tech here is much better, as that game looked fine and used its faculties as good as they could have possibly been used, but compared to what could have been done at the time it was a dated game perhaps.

What is a relief to me as a fan of the series is not so much what is new (though what is new is cool) but what is still the same. Dark Souls is a game that does not wear out its welcome easily, once you allow yourself to understand and get into it. It did something remarkable when games with much more complicated budgets tend to blow their load in about four hours, which is why I'm still playing it. And this demo gives me hope that I'll be doing the same for Dark Souls 2.

The torch use is interesting, and I quite like that they thought of a way to give the AI counter attacks to backstabs. The part with the cell wall being toppled by an angry enemy was also eyebrow raising and I am quite interested to see what sucker punches the guys at From are gonna throw at me in this game.
A sequel should mean that almost everything in the game has been improved, not just the graphics.

Majora's Mask: Masks were obviously a huge gamechanger with the Master Sword and Zelda being totally taken out of the picture with a new Time mechanic and different quest structure plus new songs, weapons, and items, and a couple more options. Graphics change.

Halo 2: Vastly improved multiplayer, dual wielding, new class of weapons, can now design your multiplayer persona. Enhanced menu system and added Live support. Enhanced melee which actually changed things a lot since battles now more commonly end with a melee blow. Almost all completely new multiplayer maps. Skulls. Enhanced Co-op. Graphics change.

Halo 3: Theater. Forge. File Share. Equipment. 2 More Types of Grenades. 5 New Weapons + 4 New "Mounted" Weapons. 6 New Drivable Vehicles. Veto System for Matchmaking. 11 New Maps (Some of which are the best for halo I've seen in, well, ever.) 2 New Gametypes. Much More Custom Game Options. Armor. Graphics change.

I think you get it.

A sequel should mean that almost everything in the game has been improved, not just the graphics.

And in the twelve minute video I watched I saw the framework of a game I enjoy, with better graphics of course, as new additions to the gameplay were showcased. It's a short video, but what I saw was certainly a promising improvement. I'm sure they'll show us more.

Last edited:

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
And in the twelve minute video I watched I saw the framework of a game I enjoy, with better graphics of course, as new additions to the gameplay were showcased. It's a short video, but what I saw was certainly a promising improvement. I'm sure they'll show us more.

While you do have a point that there was indeed more to show of the game, I would think that they would have tried to showcase the most significant and coolest changes first. Especially for a first reveal. Having said that, I obviously can't fully say yet that the game has nothing really meaningful at all in it for it to be considered a sequel. Who knows, though.

Guys, Arnox is mentioning Halo. I wouldn't take him seriously at all.

cmDMxyL.gif

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Still waiting for a game that will let me guard effectively without a shield and just a good sturdy longsword. Jedi Knight doesn't count. It's too old now and would do incredibly well with some minor changes anyway. Crossing my fingers Dark Souls 2 will deliver on this.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
So, I should start a new thread about this so none has to see Arnox stupid thread pooping but what the hell,

currently I am SL 82 playing a knight who's now going to get some attunement slots for pyromancy (insert Beavis screaming FIRE!)

I am loving it so far. It's changed some significant aspects of Dark Souls. It's the same but different, which is very good :)

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
I wanna do nothing but play Dark Souls 2, screw real life and all its burdens...

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
This game is good. I'm hoping the PC release is a proper port rather than a rush job.

I love the tweaks to mechanics. Parrying and backstabs aren't the end-all moves they once were, and this makes the game require less recklessness than before. Guard break is actually useful, so tanking players in PvP is vulnerable to a quick hit (and a followup critical hit!). With a lot of other small changes (dual wielding movesets, higher equip threshold before slow move, easier-to-wield 2-handers, etc.), the game is basically more viable for a lot more play styles than before. It's also nice to see that spells are less absurdly potent than they were in the first Dark Souls.

My main complaint so fair--a minor one--is that the level design is less stellar than the predecessor. Dark Souls 1 did this wonderful feat where while you couldn't always fast-travel like this new game; all the areas were so tightly interwoven it didn't matter. DS1 wrapped into itself in ridiculously ingenious ways. Also, almost every area you could spot in DS1 you could find yourself getting to at some point. Dark Souls 2 feels like it has a lot more "filler space." There's a lot of lazy skybox areas and the design of areas feel like they were built as levels first and living places second; Dark Souls 1 felt far more like areas were meant to be livable and then decayed into a playable map.

The map design is not nearly anywhere a dealbreaker. Also, the game feels very expansive. I kind of cheated and looked at how far the game goes, and although I feel like I covered what would be a full half of Dark Souls 1, I think I'm only a quarter of the way through if that.

Great stuff.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
I just got called a noob for using pyro in PVP. Funny thing is this was the first guy that succumbed to me using pyro :D
Every other asshole I encountered in the Belfry Luna(as defender of attacker) dodges pyro like a pro :(

The way I skilled my character makes me very versatile in PvE but I suck at PvP. I either cast magic too slow, run out of stamina swinging my weapons too quickly etc.

I've found the Black Knight Halberd, got it on my first DS run, lucky me :) and have loved this weapon ever since. In DS2 it's got added fire damage!