best settings DPI and in-game sensitivity for G5 + QCK?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Jpnz

Mar 29, 2008
What would be the best settings DPI and in-game sensitivity for Logitech G5 and QCK?
Thank you!

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
It varies by person... find out what you like.

That's why it's selectable -- there's no all-encompassing setting.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
DPI is pretty much bullsh*t. Most people don't need anything more than 400. All that really matters is that you find a comfortable setting without acceleration so that your brain can develop a 1:1 understanding between mouse movement and crosshair movement.

I find cloth pads to be much, much better than plastic (or whatever) "pro" pads. They're very smooth yet they have the friction necessary to prevent random slips. I haven't used a QCK but I hear they're nice. I'm on an Xtrac Ripper and before that I had a Supermat. Both are very nice.

Actually, I'm using both since the Xtrac is thin; I have the Supermat underneath providing more support. :p

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
I still use my mousepad I got about 13 years ago...

It was made from excess material a friend of the family used to make wetsuits.

Was really durable -- albeit it's getting a bit... wrinkled... after over a decade of abuse.

Last edited:

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
I'm using a G5 and Monstermat Titan, comparable to the Qck.
I'm just using max settings, 2000DPI and highest refresh setting possible, and then set the ingame sensitivity to whatever is needed. I play at pretty low sensitivity.

I find that if I adjust the DPI instead of sensitivity it loses a lot of it's precision. I don't like that;)

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
I find that if I adjust the DPI instead of sensitivity it loses a lot of it's precision. I don't like that;)
Yeah. Except that doesn't actually happen. I thought it did too at first, but I've been running 1000 DPI on my G5 instead of 2000 and it's honestly no different.

Defeat

GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO
Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
Your screen resolution depends on what DPI is recommended for each person. As far as ingame sensitivity, that is personal preference.

edit: Found it. If you feel like doing a bit of reading this will give you pretty much all the information you want: http://www.esreality.com/?a=post&id=1265679
I also use a QcK mousepad, the heavy version.

Last edited:

Jpnz

Mar 29, 2008
Thanks for that link Defeat, seems like the Diamondback is a good alternative for me, i have constant RSI-like pain from my G5 with normal sized hands..

Lethargy

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra
Feb 24, 2006
Your screen resolution depends on what DPI is recommended for each person. As far as ingame sensitivity, that is personal preference.

edit: Found it. If you feel like doing a bit of reading this will give you pretty much all the information you want: http://www.esreality.com/?a=post&id=1265679
I also use a QcK mousepad, the heavy version.

+1 to qck heavy, best mousepad I've ever used. works great and it's real comfortable... like having a cushy blanket to rest your arm on

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
Yeah. Except that doesn't actually happen. I thought it did too at first, but I've been running 1000 DPI on my G5 instead of 2000 and it's honestly no different.

Source for that?
It's pure logic: less DPI = less precision => less accuracy (however minimal) of mouse- to onscreen-movement translation.
Even when the hardware switching from 2000 to 1000dpi is perfect and completely lossless, it still results in a less accurate mouse.

I'm not saying it makes a huge difference, and I probably wouldn't be able to tell if I had to do a double blind test, but it's just one of those things that you 'feel'. Same reason why people use different brands of guitar strings when their specs, sound and quality are exactly the same.
In short: I find I play better if I use 2000dpi. Whether that is because of actual higher hardware performance or placebo, I don't really care.

I am thinking of dumping the G5 altogether though. I absolutely love the feel of the mouse, but having switched from a mid-high sens player to someone who will use their entire monstermat surface for aiming, the G5 doesn't cut it anymore. Most notably it's max acceleration and speed are annoying me. Now that I'm becoming faster at playing low-sens and have got those 'snap' shots down, I've had the G5 crap out on me and just not register my input at all lots of times. Annoying as hell.
However, if I still played high-sens I would go out right now and buy 10 more of these mice, in case they take them out of production anytime soon;)
I'm thinking of getting one of those sweet deathadders, but I haven't really got the feel for their design and ergonomics down yet...

Last edited:

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
Get an MX518, same shape, dunno about the weight, and won't be a horrible poor tracker at low sens. What resolution do you play at also?

Yeah, I know it's an awesome mouse, but somehow my hand becomes cramped after an hour of playing with a 518. The G5 has this nice antislip rubber-like surface that gives me grip even when I'm not actively 'squeezing' as well as a top that feels a bit like cloth or paper (its texture, that is). The 518 just has hard plastic surfaces, and I can't help but feel it's a bit more flimsy and cheap because of that.

If I could somehow get the sensor of a 518 into my G5 casing I would do it;)

Has anyone tried those new steelseries mice?

edit: whoops, forgot. 1680x1050

Last edited: