Timetravel... impossible, or possible (in the LATE late future?)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Possible, or no?

• Maybe in the very distant future....

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Doubt it, and don't think we'll ever get to try it.

Votes: 15 65.2%

• Total voters
Nov 4, 2001
The Kitchen
I've always wondered about the concept of Time, and Time Travel, as well as many other phenomenons in the Universe. It's one of those many celestlial(sp?) things that never ceases to amaze me:)

Well, do you think it's possible? I don't, because Time has no physical characteristics.... unlike deep space flight and high-speed space travel. Just something to get your brain [if applicable] working:)

[Edit] I think it would be really cool to have, but its one of those things that could turn the world inside out if it was put in the wrong hands.

ViperXL

Great Car
Dec 9, 1999
St. Louis, MO, USA
well, i just think of it like this...

Any movie, book, play, game, song, story or anything that involved timetravel in it's story has not made one bit of sense if you really think about it.

Any i dont think it will ever make sense, this includes this new movie coming out with Guy Pierce, the TimeTraveler or something... ill bet anything that the plot flow makes no sense :)

"Lets go back to the past to change the future" nonsense doesn't make sense

Iceblade

Fragged Lurker
Mar 14, 2001
Visit site
Seems to me that the new "Time Machine" movie is just another remake of the old "Time Machine" movie and the book by H.G. Wells... albeit with better special effects. But I digress.

Time travel would be cool... but alas, we'd all probably be dead before it could happen. ;)

EbonEdge

Dark SoveReign
May 28, 2001
Visit site
Originally posted by Waffnuffly

I think it would be really cool to have, but its one of those things that could turn the world inside out if it was put in the wrong hands.

I don't believe there is such a thing as the right hands. If someone had "Time Lord" power it would drive them insane even if they started out with the best intentions. Imagine it. In your life, time is no longer a factor. No time= no set cause and effect. No set cause and effect= No limits. No limits= Absolute power. Absolute power= Absolute corruption. Time travel is..uh...would be a oneway trip to pyscho street. Just say no to time travel.

EbonEdge

Dark SoveReign
May 28, 2001
Visit site
If time travel is possible in the late future, then it'll be possible now because someone would bring it back.

But it still wouldn't be possible (in the available sence) unless I revealed how..I..um....that is unless it was revealed to the people of this ti...our time.

Mute

All you have to do is smile!
Uh huh... riiight. You know how hard it can be to keep the orange monkeys from escaping! Before you know it they would just be blabbing the secret to everyone in sight. Damn them... if only there was a way to do time travel without orange monkeys!

Nov 4, 2001
The Kitchen
Originally posted by Mute
Does anyone else find the title of the thread ironic? If time travel is possible in the late future, then it'll be possible now because someone would bring it back :).

But what if we HAVE come back? What if those UFO sightings are starships from the 4000's and 5000's? What if these strange phenominons that people saw in early centuries were results from time traveling vehicles? It's all so weird, but I like it:)

Witty

I hear only yes.
Aug 6, 2001
Provo... somewhere in Utah.
Visit site
They had something like that in Popular Science recently... or maybe I am confusing it with this place ;)
But I think it isn't possible.
If it was, why wouldn't the peeps who made it come back here and show us so we could be as incredibly advanced as they are then?
Why not give the cavemen fire?
Why not give Napoleon AK-47's? (scary thought)
lol...listen to me
Nevermind any of that

Sam_The_Man

I am the Hugh Grant of Thatcherism
Mar 26, 2000
England
Visit site
On the one hand, if time travel were possible then I wonder why someone hasn't brought it back to this time, and since we're asking this question the answer has to be 'no'.

On the other hand, I'm reminded of the Asimov story concerning a machine that can look into any time and place in the past (not travel). The government, however, controls it so tightly that there's a huge queue to look into it and it's the only one of its type.

Eventually it turns out that a) the machine can only look 100 years into the past, b) the queue doesn't exist - no-one is allowed to use the machine at all and c) with technology existing 30 years after the original viewer was built, the viewer can be built from materials procured from an electrical store and run on a mains socket.

Then the heroes who quickly assemble their own machine discover the hoooooorible truth - that the past begins 0.000000000000001 seconds ago, and with the machine that they just told every science magazine how to make, they can spy on anyone they wish anywhere in the world. At the end of the story, they've just totally destroyed everyone's privacy. Oops.

This is more or less irrelevant, but it did make me think - maybe if a time machine was built several thousand years into the future, it was so tightly controlled that anyone who wanted to use it would be screened for mental stability first? After all, if the technology exists to travel in time I imagine the technology to examine someone's brain to tell if they're sane or not exists as well.

To be honest, my final opinion is that an asteroid will wipe us out long before we invent time travel :)

Arcturus

Not From Bloody Starcraft
Jan 23, 2000
Totally Not Korhal IV
Originally posted by Sam_The_Man
To be honest, my final opinion is that an asteroid will wipe us out long before we invent time travel :)

We'd probably have a few interplanetary colonies set up before we get 'wiped out' by an asteroid, you know. :)

Avalanche

Come on drop sez Puck
Nov 14, 2001
Visit site
hi guys
First of all let me ask you what your definition of time is?
You can't judge time as we think of it. Because after all it just the record that we keep of a rock traveling around a big gas ball in space. I think time does have a physical presance to it. Just by the fact that the human body has a metaphysical clock to it. I like to go by the theory that time is like a line. And anything that can happen does. And there are branches along that line. And that you could only travel along your own branch. If you travel to another time branch you would be out of phase with time. Which may have some very bad effects on you. Also im reminded of a saying. Can't remember form where. But it goes time is like a river. If you through a stone in it. It will cause ripples, but it won't change the course of the river. So if someone WAS to go back in time I don't think they could change to much. I think time has a way of keeping it's self flowing normal. But also a large enough stone could change the course of the river.

What do yousssssss think???