UnWheel On PSP, Video

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Good news and bad news... PSP owners will be delighted to know that UT2004 mod, UnWheel, will be making the jump to that platform. Bad news is that it may delay the next PC version. You'll find the video links in this forum thread.

Jerdaygo and I have been fooling around with some code for quite some time now just for fun, we never thought we would get this to work but here it is, a video of a horribly unstable and buggy version of UnWheel running in real time on the Sony PSP! The sound is buggy, the multiplayer doesn't work, and most of the maps are too big to fit in the PSP's memory, but it works!

dub

Feb 12, 2002
Nice work :) I really love UnWheel, one of the few quality mods out there.
Shame about the vid though. You get to see it run for a few secs, the rest is shaky cam action :)

EggBoy

Apr 26, 2005
Is this for real? this is just a UT2004 mod and since when does UT2004 run on PSP? if it did we would have heard about it and I would have run and bought a PSP by now and be playing UT2004 on it!! :eek:

U

Unregistered

Awesome. Maybe this will start a trend. That would be really cool to have all those awesome mods on a PSP. BTW Dub, that sig might be the best sig I have ever seen.

cole_bie

^^^SHOW ME THE PINK^^^
Jun 29, 2004
Awesome. Maybe this will start a trend. That would be really cool to have all those awesome mods on a PSP. BTW Dub, that sig might be the best sig I have ever seen.

Sahkolihaa

Ow...
Dec 29, 2004
England
So the PSP *could* be capable of running certain UT2004 maps? Wouldn't surprise me, a PSP is almost as powerful as an XBox but runs at a lower resolution.

If they was to optimise it for the PSP, I bet it would run rather well.

Add_x101

Oct 26, 2005
UK
Looks as if they have hocked up a video of Unwheel, running a video feed to the PSP...

EggBoy

Apr 26, 2005
Add_x101 said:
Looks as if they have hocked up a video of Unwheel, running a video feed to the PSP...

yah thats the first thing I thought when I saw it, easy to do with UT since you can run it in a window at the exact PSP resolution and capture it and convert to PSP video format, then just move your fingers as if you are playing it.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
Well, I suppose this has gone on long enough, I almost hate to say this but, Happy April Fool's day everyone!

Yes the PSP version is an April Fool's day joke.

Thanks for the camera advice, but the shaky cam style was intentional, since it was just a video running on the PSP while Jerdaygo filmed me playing we wanted it to be hard to tell what was going on a little bit so that you couldn't tell that my hands didn't exactly match the on-screen action.

Before you send us any mail bombs just think of the good news, this means that the PC version isn't being delayed by the PSP version, since the PSP version doesn't exist.

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
sure fooled me :lol: you made it more believeable than anything else i've seen today
a shame though, cuz I thought it was a pretty damn cool idea.

Diego1203

Jan 10, 2004
I've got to hand it to some of you guys though, you figured it out right away, the guys at both the UnWheel forum and the Atari UT forums were fooled for well over a week. I hope you were at least amused by it, we had alot of fun with it.

jerdaygo

How jerdaygo?
Jan 10, 2004
USA
EggBoy said:
yah thats the first thing I thought when I saw it, easy to do with UT since you can run it in a window at the exact PSP resolution and capture it and convert to PSP video format, then just move your fingers as if you are playing it.

Cool, thats pretty good.

I hope you all found this funny :D

hal said:
Good news and bad news... PSP owners will be delighted to know that UT2004 mod, UnWheel, will be making the jump to that platform. Bad news is that it may delay the next PC version. You'll find the video links in this forum thread.

Jerdaygo and I have been fooling around with some code for quite some time now just for fun, we never thought we would get this to work but here it is, a video of a horribly unstable and buggy version of UnWheel running in real time on the Sony PSP! The sound is buggy, the multiplayer doesn't work, and most of the maps are too big to fit in the PSP's memory, but it works!

I also want to thank Hal for playing along with Diego1203 and me.

Last edited:

BITE_ME

Bye-Bye
Jun 9, 2004
Not here any more
hal said:

I want Unreal for my Treo 650 cell phone (over 2 million sold...another million this year). I think some phone is coming out with a high end video-chip this year.

Every time I see a PSP. I think "Why so big?". Handhelds fit in your hand, not hands.