Unreal 2 system requirements

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ravenus

The Heretic
Oct 7, 2000
India
Visit site
hey maybe wildfire works for raven
they're getting dell 1.7Ghz systems with 512 MB ram and GF3's
Lucky dudes.
of course they deserve it

WildfireX

Mar 10, 2001
Visit site
No, not work related(well sorta)
Let's just say I know someone who knows someone who...etc.

I bet even my current computer could run it.
P3/600 mHz, 128MB RAM(PC-133), GeForce DDR. See, its special. It scores 2000+ in 3DMark 2K1... :).

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
Actually i've been a bit of reading on this and I belive you would need this to run Unreal2 at a decent speed

700-1ghz cpu
For optimal peformance a GeForce3 they said that u2 is utalizing geforce3 technology along with directx8 tech
128 megs ram if you want it to be totally smooth
4X cd-rom nobody has ever needed more

Stryker8

Jan 26, 2000
well, don't know, it will probably be like max payne, to much exageration of system requirements, they sead you'll need a 550 min, now it appears you can run it on a 400 tnt2
so i have no fear of the requirements of u2

me pIII 600 128 gf2mx will be ready

clicker

Key Master/Gate Keeper
Oct 16, 2000
Visit site
WHAT ABOUT MY SPECS? GOOD FRAMERATE?

800 mhz Duron. 256MEG RAM, VOODOO 3 3000 PCI Video Card (16 MEG) Will I be able to tuen graphics all the way up with 800x600 resolution? What is T & L?

Last edited:

Deathwing

Raucous Rodentia
Mar 15, 2000
Canada
Clicker, with that comp, you'll probably do fine. The only problem might be that old video card you have. 800x600 actually isn't that good though, so I don't think you'll be too disappointed. :)

ravenus

The Heretic
Oct 7, 2000
India
Visit site
Um clicker you have a problem here.
U2 at least in its first release requires a video card that can handle T&L - Transformation and Lighting, functions that deal with map geometry and lighting calculations which earlier to the GeForce were the sole responsibility of the CPU. Things get much more optimized and faster when the card deals with this thereby able to have much more detailed rendering as U2 promises.
The Warfare engine which powers U2 is designed from ground up for T&L cards, so although you have an otherwise nice set you'll have to get a T&L capable card especially since Glide support is out of the Window if Tim Sweeney is to be believed (who else?).

clicker

Key Master/Gate Keeper
Oct 16, 2000
Visit site
Ahhhh.

So what is a good card that's under $250 and is supported by lots of games and supports T&L? tHANKS/

ravenus

The Heretic
Oct 7, 2000
India
Visit site
You could get an excellent GeForce 2 for that kind of money, I guess. But you may want to wait since Nvidia's plan of releasing Ultra versions of the GeForce3 may bring the earlier GeForce3 within your budget and that's significantly better than GeForce2.

obrother7

Aug 27, 2001
Texas
Visit site
system req

Well, after buying Tribes 2 AND a 900 MGHZ Athlon AND a Geforce2 w/ 64 MGs of RAM on the card and running 393 MG's of RAM in my box I think I should be just fine!!!!!!!!!!!!! bring it on!!!!

Zaccix

Truth, by Banksy
Nov 10, 1999
London, UK
Originally posted by ravenus
U2 at least in its first release requires a video card that can handle T&L - Transformation and Lighting, functions that deal with map geometry and lighting calculations which earlier to the GeForce were the sole responsibility of the CPU.
I think U2 takes (great) advantage of cards with T&L, but doesn't require one to run. It'll probably run a lot slower on a non-T&L card (unless you've got an uber-fast CPU), but it should still run.

Clicker: If you play a lot of T&L games now, then the best option would be to get a GF2 or a GF3 if your budget stretches to one. However, if you're getting a T&L card especially for U2, then a good idea would be to wait until nearer to its release, as the GF3's price should be lower by then.

Then again, there's always the Kyro3 as well... :)

ravenus

The Heretic
Oct 7, 2000
India
Visit site
Zaccix,
I believe the official word is that U2 will require at least a first gen T&L capable card (i.e. at least GeForce 1).
Mike Verdu has said in an interview that Legend is debating whether to add support for older cards like TNT2 and Voodoo3 onwards, which means that at least the base warfare engine does not support them.
T&L coding for video cards is vastly different I assume from CPU harnessing. It may require too much effort on their part to release a version that simultaeneously suppports both modes of graphic display.
Remember this goes way beyond just pretty lights and smooth frames.

Hal could you please come in and clarify things out for us?

Zaphrod

President of the Universe
Sep 27, 2000
Betelgeuse V
Visit site
XBOX doesnt have a Geforce3, it has a custom Nvidia chipset that is actually about 2x as powerfull as the GF3. Still I wouldnt mind having it in my system.

ravenus

The Heretic
Oct 7, 2000
India
Visit site
According to previews of the XBox, this custom chip is pretty similar to the GF3 with a few extras like an additional shader pipeline or something like that and X-Box exclusive version of Dx8 which is supposed to better harness the hardware.
All in all I think that chip will be maybe 20-30% faster than GF3 and with ultra versions of GF3 coming..well.

Status
Not open for further replies.