UT3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Neon_Knight

Mar 2, 2009
Argentina
Why not, actually? It would be quite the killer to have some form of "Black Mesa" UT99, wouldn't it? And there's quite some power in the community, let alone crowd-sourcing! Thing missing would be the source code of the Unreal Engine.

Would UT got the success if it was just the multiplayer part of Unreal? Would UT2004 got success if it was just UT running on UE2? They did got their success because they had something new to offer to the series. What's being asked is the same game as the successful one but with better graphics. I don't get it.

UT3 might not be UT or UT2004 running on UE3, but this doesn't make it the worst abomination in the face of Earth the people want it to be seen, for <deity>'s sake!

Argus

Spack Jazzrabbit
Feb 13, 2008
Scotland
I'm still finding enjoyment in UT3 even now. Not that I had many gripes with it to begin with, it had a shaky start, but I enjoyed it. The campaign was pretty stupid and kinda tacked on but otherwise I love it.
A UT4 wouldn't go amiss, though.. ;)

Flybye

Jan 30, 2009
All I ever wanted was for Onslaught and 2k4 to look prettier. Not the craptasticness they came out with in III.

The series is better left dead. Otherwise, UT4 will look like this:
1. More craptastic auto server filling
2. You would have to buy new characters as opposed to all of them being available in the begging.
3. A pair of boots to help you run faster costs $15
4. Spend more moniez and make your raptor ubber faster
5. We now have 2 orbs. Rub them together and you get to see Sweeney rubbing his own ballz.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
All I ever wanted was for Onslaught and 2k4 to look prettier. Not the craptasticness they came out with in III.

The series is better left dead. Otherwise, UT4 will look like this:
1. More craptastic auto server filling
2. You would have to buy new characters as opposed to all of them being available in the begging.
3. A pair of boots to help you run faster costs $15
4. Spend more moniez and make your raptor ubber faster
5. We now have 2 orbs. Rub them together and you get to see Sweeney rubbing his own ballz.
LoL..you get to see sweeney rubbing his balls, now that's one thing i'd rather not see.
As for the rest, well I have different opinion about UT3 I quite liked the gameplay compared to 2k4, what i didn't like was some of the overblowness and the fact that gamespy was rigged in with the game and that they never got to release the linux etc ports and further patches because of the Midway disaster. That's what they said at least, that they can't produce more patches because Midway went bankrupt and 2.1 is a so so patch with some changed decisions, I even like 2.0 better.
I didn't play UT3 for ages but right now I don't even have the hardware and harddisc space to run it again.

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
My favorite part of UT2k4 Onslaught was how pathetically weak every vehicle in the game was to the Shock Rifle. Are you flying in a Raptor? Good game scrub because I'm going to be pushing your shit halfway across the map with my shocktape. UT3 vehicles are actually fun to use because they are an assets rather than a huge liability. In an FPS with vehicles, vehicles should inherently have an advantage over infantry and not the other way around like it was in UT2k4.

Also another smart thing Epic did was give vehicles armor, everything except light vehicles (Manta/Viper) only take 80% of weapon damage to compensate for their massive hitboxes. The only things I don't like about UT3 vehicles is the Cicada is really poorly designed and the Hellbender rear turret does 150 fully charged instead of 200 and there's not visual indication of when its fully charged. Other than that the vehicles are all really well made, even the "basketball gun" Scorpion is a lot better than the fuck all useless Scorpion in UT2k4 with its worthless low damage Plasma nets.

The other funny thing about vehicles is when UT3 first came out everyone thought Necris vehicles were overpowered, and as time went on it became very apparent that the Axon had the better vehicles for a mile. But then again this is the UT community we are talking about where bitching and moaning is better than actually trying to figure out how to beat things.

Cobra

Dec 15, 2005
Montreal, Canada
If they only could give us a last patch. That fix almost every thing that is really bad. It could still be a very good game

Last edited:

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
Also another smart thing Epic did was give vehicles armor, everything except light vehicles (Manta/Viper) only take 80% of weapon damage to compensate for their massive hitboxes. The only things I don't like about UT3 vehicles is the Cicada is really poorly designed and the Hellbender rear turret does 150 fully charged instead of 200 and there's not visual indication of when its fully charged. Other than that the vehicles are all really well made, even the "basketball gun" Scorpion is a lot better than the fuck all useless Scorpion in UT2k4 with its worthless low damage Plasma nets.

Yeah, Cicada needed to be a real gunship. Rockets hardly do any damage to infantry and vehicles alike and had pathetic splash.

Needs moar carnage CARNAGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Some of the Warfare maps were uninspired too. Early vidyas of Onyx coast made it look like a very large level, then it turned into a tiny map.

Otherwise gameplay was great, just needed better map inspiration across the board.

Nov 4, 2001
The Kitchen
UT3 was p. cool with the right mods. Gibalicious and MapMixer are pretty much mandatory to make it fun, though. I had shitloads of fun with an otherwise unmodded UT fighting teams of 8 or 9 bots all against just me in TDM.

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
Last edited:

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
What is this UT99? Did I fall asleep for a couple hundred years and Epic released 96 UT's without me knowing?

Oh no wait its just peoples stupid naming schemes.

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
Warfare had the worst stock maps in the game, but the Warfare mapping community made some of the best custom ones.

TOO BAD NONE OF THE STUPID PLEBS THAT PLAY WARFARE EVER PLAY THIS FUCKING MAPS TORLAN AND DOWNTOWN FOREVER SMOKE WEED EVERY DAY ABORT ALL FETUSES

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
I've always looked past the terrible gamespy integration and so forth. What really ended it for me was CTF in the game. The translocator nerf really ruined it for me. Deathmatch on its own wasn't interesting enough. It was supposed to be more in your face, but it just became dumbed down and mechanical.

I still play 2k3 with fast weapon switch with bots, but I think this type of game is gone for good. I believe the spirit of team based pc arcade shooters lives on in Planetside 2.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
UT3 DM was the best in the series for me, most probably for the best weapon balance in the whole series.

Last edited: