So, who will stop using Firefox?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
There were numerous other organisations? Which? In the end, not even a single major gay advocacy group bothered getting in on it - and it doesn't usually take that much to make one of em turn up for the hell of it; to be honest I was kind of impressed.

Still, I'd have preferred that it had not come up at all.

Organizations I was referring to were other businesses, according to several articles I read on mainstream news outlets.

Has it? Freedom of speech does not at all guarantee freedom from reaction (i.e. other people's freedom of speech).

True, but we also have to acknowledge that if a personal opinion is valid reason for them not to work in your organization, then we open that hangar door to all kinds of reasons for firing or not hiring individuals. While it is valid that a team is built upon trust and similar work ethics and values, I see the issue here as one of Mozilla failing to realize the potential of having that person who thinks outside of their little sandbox.

Mozilla stated they believe in equality across the board and didn't seem to believe that Eich could convincingly represent that for their brand after this all came to light.

Should this not have been a key issue during discussion of him becoming CEO and not AFTER the fact? After all, the board knew of his prior actions.

That was genuinely interesting, but it doesn't apply for the reason above. People have a right to voice their opinion - a reaction to the same does not limit freedom of speech, it is a continuation of it.

Disagree if you will, but I think it is highly relevant when discussing freedom of speech here.

You can say what you want - it doesn't mean anyone has to validate it.

True. I never said anyone had to validate my opinions, did I?

I'm sorry, who are the people who are attacking others because they thinking differently than the way they want them to? That couldn't actually be more backwards if it tried.

At the time of the passage of that amendment to California's Constitution, the vast majority of Californians and Americans opposed gay marriage. The amendment was passed lawfully and in good faith. Each state has the Constitutionally granted right to regulate legal contracts within its borders. A marriage license is a legal contract. As Brizz stated, get the government out of marriage, let each state agree to regulate civil unions.

If anyone wants to be a homophobic bastard in the privacy of their own head, I'm quite sure we'd be absolutely fine with that, if it didn't come along with that whole trying to constantly interfere in our lives thing . . .

Homophobic bastard? With that type of thought and rhetoric, it is no wonder many holdouts against gay marriage refuse to acknowledge gays in a positive light. Not every opponent of gay marriage does so in the name of hate. Hater and bigot have become the accepted vernacular, even though they are terms that should be used more sparingly so as not to water down their meaning or effect in conversation.

Opposing gay marriage is a multi-facted issue, and is not always brought about by hatred or bigotry. It makes you come across as being rather close-minded if you ignore reasons other than direct hatred or bigotry (both of which do exist but are not mainstream these days).

Nope, didn't say that at all:

Would you not say it is evidently true in certain circles, venues and organizations?

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
Look Crotale, I know you don't care, but let me say I would take your views seriously if I didn't knew the context. The context includes http://www.godhatesfags.com/ and suicides within the Mormon gay community.

So, part of the rhetoric ends up being an insult to intelligence.

Will I defend that gays are above criticism when they become political activists, or do I follow the memes that the left-wing parrots? No, but first, clean your own house.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Look Crotale, I know you don't care, but let me say I would take your views seriously if I didn't knew the context. The context includes http://www.godhatesfags.com/ and suicides within the Mormon gay community.

Will I defend that gays are above criticism when they become political activists, or do I follow the memes that the left-wing parrots? No, but first, clean your own house.
This is the same argument as "Guns kill people so ban all guns". Of course there are rotten things happening to gays still today, but that doesn't mean there is no possible reason outside of the rot that someone would disagree with gay marriage.

Crotale

Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here

I'm sorry, but I have heard of that website and I refuse to navigate to it, because that isn't me or what I believe.

I would bet the only way I could ever change that perception of yours is for me to accept and endorse gay marriage. Am I wrong?

My house? My opinions are my own.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
A few things:

1) Eich being booted is in absolutely NO WAY AT ALL a free speech issue. Private companies can fire their employees for anything they say, even the heads, and this is never, ever, ever something that even slightly infringes on our constitutional right to free speech, it does not chill free speech, etc. Private companies are free to exercise their will as they wish, it is only the government that cannot chill free speech. This is the kind of idiocy that surrounded the Duck Dynasty hoopla. Anyone who believes that this at all impacts free speech is either stupid or deluding themselves (some are both, but the main arguments on this, here, are of the delusional sort).

2) You CANNOT oppose gay marriage without being a bigot. Period. I hear you Brizz, and your arguments about people who just REALLY like tradition, but this is a very lackluster argument. It isn't tradition by itself that people defend, it is a particular tradition, and here, that tradition is male-female marriage.

If you refuse to let black and white people marry because you think that it is a sin: you are a bigot. If you refuse to let Catholics and Protestants marry because you think that is a sin: you are a bigot. If you refuse to let homosexuals marry because you think it is a sin: you are a bigot.

And while I understand that there are strong biblical beliefs for having ideological disagreements with homosexuality, this isn't the issue (you're still a bigot, in the same way as those bigots who justified treating blacks as inferior because of them being the children of Ham, but it's a little more benign), the issue is those that try to PREVENT others from enjoying the same rights because you believe that a biological predisposition that is a naturally occurring thing in all animal kingdoms (that express sexual preferences), that is what we are discussing here. Thinking it is a sin to be gay, like thinking it is a sin to live together before marriage is one thing: keeping people from the full protection of the law, however, is another. This goes even further with that BS about being able to refuse service to people.

Let me reiterate: people aren't losing their livelihood because they believe it is a sin, they are getting fired for ACTIVELY TRYING TO DENY RIGHTS TO A MINORITY GROUP. I believe that if someone funds a movement to have all Jews shipped out of the US, and they are the head of a major corporation, that board of directors should fire them. Likewise if they fund a group that proposes a constitutional amendment to prevent miscegenation, likewise a group to prevent gay people from marrying and receiving equal treatment under the law. This isn't some horrible prosecution of beliefs, this is a reaction to an ACTION that seeks to deny rights to someone because you don't believe in it.

And yes, Brizz, blahblahblah, government shouldn't be in marriage, blahblahblah. First, this is silly, as marriage has been a governmental tool for the entire history of marriage, and it is not even kind-of-sort-of a judeochristian creation. Second, this is silly because people can be considered married under their church, while lacking a governmental license, and can be granted a governmental license and not be considered married by the church as it is: We're not talking about holy, sacrosanct religious rites here, we're talking about a governmental law that streamlines, simplifies and codifies a number of conveniences, rights, privileges, etc. This conversation is, in its entirety, about that possession of rights, and about equality of rights, and if you want to say that no heterosexual couple can be married, then, sure, civil unions for everyone is fine (good luck convincing the religious right that they can't get married anymore), but I don't see that as possible, and so what we have is gay marriage. Everyone married is fine, everyone civil unioned is fine, but we cannot set up some BS separate but equal malarkey.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
1) Eich being booted is in absolutely NO WAY AT ALL a free speech issue. Private companies can fire their employees for anything they say, even the heads, and this is never, ever, ever something that even slightly infringes on our constitutional right to free speech, it does not chill free speech, etc. Private companies are free to exercise their will as they wish, it is only the government that cannot chill free speech. This is the kind of idiocy that surrounded the Duck Dynasty hoopla. Anyone who believes that this at all impacts free speech is either stupid or deluding themselves (some are both, but the main arguments on this, here, are of the delusional sort).
This is entirely "silencing opposition through force". Are you really advocating that we should shun people in our supposedly progressive society? It has nothing to do with whether or not he is right and everything to do with what kind of society we want to have. Apparently, there are a lot of vocal people who want to live in Salem, Mass and not America.

Also, private companies can fire people for anything... in at-will employment states. California is a right to work state and they absolutely cannot fire anyone for anything. If Mozilla had fired Eich, he would likely be suing their butts off right now.
2) You CANNOT oppose gay marriage without being a bigot. Period. I hear you Brizz, and your arguments about people who just REALLY like tradition, but this is a very lackluster argument. It isn't tradition by itself that people defend, it is a particular tradition, and here, that tradition is male-female marriage.
It's tradition. Who cares what it is? Just because you prefer what is traditional, you should be refused jobs you are qualified for and treated as if you are a criminal? It absolutely is tradition that people defend. Do you think anything would have changed if it was polygamy being discussed here?
If you refuse to let black and white people marry because you think that it is a sin: you are a bigot. If you refuse to let Catholics and Protestants marry because you think that is a sin: you are a bigot. If you refuse to let homosexuals marry because you think it is a sin: you are a bigot.
I'm not sure I understand or respect the propensity to dilute the term "bigot" today. If you think something is a sin and oppose society validating that sin, how does that make you intolerant?
the issue is those that try to PREVENT others from enjoying the same rights because you believe that a biological predisposition that is a naturally occurring thing in all animal kingdoms (that express sexual preferences), that is what we are discussing here. Thinking it is a sin to be gay, like thinking it is a sin to live together before marriage is one thing: keeping people from the full protection of the law, however, is another.
Anyone who thinks it is a sin to be gay is a moron. And I'm sure those people exist.
This goes even further with that BS about being able to refuse service to people.
In my opinion, it depends on what the service is. If it's photographing a gay wedding and the person doesn't want to do it, fine. If it's eating hamburgers at a hamburger joint, that's wrong.
this is a reaction to an ACTION that seeks to deny rights to someone because you don't believe in it.
It's still easy enough to disagree on calling marriage a "right".
And yes, Brizz, blahblahblah, government shouldn't be in marriage, blahblahblah. First, this is silly, as marriage has been a governmental tool for the entire history of marriage, and it is not even kind-of-sort-of a judeochristian creation. Second, this is silly because people can be considered married under their church, while lacking a governmental license, and can be granted a governmental license and not be considered married by the church as it is: We're not talking about holy, sacrosanct religious rites here, we're talking about a governmental law that streamlines, simplifies and codifies a number of conveniences, rights, privileges, etc. This conversation is, in its entirety, about that possession of rights, and about equality of rights, and if you want to say that no heterosexual couple can be married, then, sure, civil unions for everyone is fine (good luck convincing the religious right that they can't get married anymore), but I don't see that as possible, and so what we have is gay marriage. Everyone married is fine, everyone civil unioned is fine, but we cannot set up some BS separate but equal malarkey.
The problem is that "marriage", by the legal definition, is mandatorily exclusionary. There is a far longer list of situations that marriage does not cover than situations it does. My argument for getting the government out of marriage rests on the fact that the government shouldn't have any interest in whether people are married or not. And I don't want them recognizing "civil unions" or any crap like that, either. The only thing I want the government to care about is who depends on you and who your next of kin is. I was pretty clear about that in my previous post on the subject.

One of my biggest complaints with the gay rights movement is that they claim to have "morality" on their side, they claim they are the tolerant ones, they claim that agreeing with them won't affect you in any way, and they claim they are only interested in equal rights. But as a movement, they have failed at nearly every single one of these things.

Marriage still isn't equal to this day, and they have no interest in making it equal. If it was why is polygamy still illegal? Why is incestual marriage still illegal? Why is any form of marriage illegal? That doesn't sound equal.

Next of kin rights have not improved one bit during this movement. If it had, why do siblings who live together still have an impossible time assigning next of kin rights to each other? Cousins? Friends? If you don't want to get married or can't still for a myriad of reasons, you still have all the same problems that existed before. Nope, that situation hasn't improved at all.

Intolerance among gay rights activists is probably worse than it has ever been. I guess it's okay to be intolerant of the people you views as intolerant (even when they actually aren't intolerant) and crucify them, then turn around and puff your chest over your own tolerance and acceptance of people you don't agree with.

Sure, getting the government out of marriage is pie in the sky. But that's what people said about gay marriage being recognized. And here we are. It sure would have been nice if they actually wanted the things they claimed to have wanted, though. Then we might have a real solution instead of more protectionism.

Crotale

Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
dragonfliet needs to learn his Constitution and civil rights laws. Employers cannot discriminate on the basis of religion, which is also considered freedom of speech. Religion and assembly, as well as freedom of the press and petitioning for governmental redress for grievances fall under the inclusionary purview of freedom of speech.

Luv_Studd

Aug 17, 1999
VT
Visit site
This is entirely "silencing opposition through force". Are you really advocating that we should shun people in our supposedly progressive society? It has nothing to do with whether or not he is right and everything to do with what kind of society we want to have. Apparently, there are a lot of vocal people who want to live in Salem, Mass and not America.

We, as a truly "free" society - should shun bigotry and intolerance, yes. And also shun those (people or literature etc.) who/which propagate it. What I want for a society may not agree with yours - do the majority of voters always win? Or those with the most money?

It's tradition. Who cares what it is? Just because you prefer what is traditional, you should be refused jobs you are qualified for and treated as if you are a criminal? It absolutely is tradition that people defend. Do you think anything would have changed if it was polygamy being discussed here?

Who's tradition are you defending? Cannot gays who want to be together in marriage also have tradition - in the same, equal sense of the word - as well?

One of my biggest complaints with the gay rights movement is that they claim to have "morality" on their side, they claim they are the tolerant ones, they claim that agreeing with them won't affect you in any way, and they claim they are only interested in equal rights. But as a movement, they have failed at nearly every single one of these things.

Who's morals? The religious conservative right? This is about equality, not morality.

Marriage still isn't equal to this day, and they have no interest in making it equal. If it was why is polygamy still illegal? Why is incestual marriage still illegal? Why is any form of marriage illegal? That doesn't sound equal.

Next of kin rights have not improved one bit during this movement. If it had, why do siblings who live together still have an impossible time assigning next of kin rights to each other? Cousins? Friends? If you don't want to get married or can't still for a myriad of reasons, you still have all the same problems that existed before. Nope, that situation hasn't improved at all.

In due time, I predict 'religion' will be completely removed from the equation, and in it's place - entirely and exclusively - will be a 'government' and its 'laws' that will dictate what 'marriage' is - as it should (assuming we have a government for and by the people still). If it wasn't for religion, we probably would not be having this discussion.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
We, as a truly "free" society - should shun bigotry and intolerance, yes. And also shun those (people or literature etc.) who/which propagate it. What I want for a society may not agree with yours - do the majority of voters always win? Or those with the most money?
There is a big difference of opinion on what constitutes those things. There are plenty of people who associate "person who disagrees with me" as "ZOMG INTOLERANT BIGOT".
Who's tradition are you defending? Cannot gays who want to be together in marriage also have tradition - in the same, equal sense of the word - as well?
And who said they couldn't get married whether the government recognized it or not? They aren't looking for "marriage equality".
Who's morals? The religious conservative right? This is about equality, not morality.
Gay rights activists are all the time claiming that acceptance of gay marriage is "moral". This is about adding another group to the narrow list of "things that can get married" according to the government. Has nothing to do with equality.
In due time, I predict 'religion' will be completely removed from the equation, and in it's place - entirely and exclusively - will be a 'government' and its 'laws' that will dictate what 'marriage' is - as it should (assuming we have a government for and by the people still). If it wasn't for religion, we probably would not be having this discussion.
Why should the government care what marriage is? The government recognizing marriage at all only leads to problems where specific groups can feel like they are being left out. And complain. And move the Overton window.

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
This is the same argument as "Guns kill people so ban all guns". Of course there are rotten things happening to gays still today, but that doesn't mean there is no possible reason outside of the rot that
someone would disagree with gay marriage.
No, it is not the same argument. What's the use of propagating hatred or bring social pressure upon (mostly) harmless people, what's gained from this? Second, if you own a gun and someday unfortunately harms people, that's a side effect of defending yourself and your family or whatever.

Even if there are reasons to be active against gay marriage (reasons I've serious trouble to find), where's the moral high ground to campaign against it?

It also surprises me that someone coming from a minority religion and subject to discrimination (e.g. mocked, "not true Christians", dared to write and believe past the Bible, etc...) has such a strong stance against other minority.

And finally, why do you even care so much? Yes, the "(mostly)" above has to be there because the gay scene is derailing into propagandized B.S., but do you meddle into the business or hate other subcultures? Who's next to be screwed, so to speak?

Last edited:

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006

YES, we should shun people. We should shun those that praise shootings of jewish centers, we should shun those who claim that their race is superior to another race, we should shun those that claim that their sex is superior to another sex, etc. The ability to be ALLOWED to say what we want to say, does not mean that we should NOT be allowed to respond in kind to what people say.

Also, private companies can fire people for anything... in at-will employment states. California is a right to work state and they absolutely cannot fire anyone for anything. If Mozilla had fired Eich, he would likely be suing their butts off right now.

1) California is not a right to work state, and you aren't using that term correctly (right to work is only about the hiring process and unions)
2) In states that aren't at-will, you can fire your employee for any real business-related reason. A CEO who drives away users is a valid and legitimate reason to fire them, and Mozilla wouldn't be held in contempt in any way.

Yes, just because you think that black people are inferior to white people, you SHOULD be refused jobs you're qualified for and treated as a piece of shit. Yes, you SHOULD be refused jobs you're qualified for when you actively try to keep people from having the same civil rights as others because they're gay.

As for your question: yes, I think this would have changed if polygamy was being discussed, though this is a question with a very interesting and relevant historical precedent against it.

I'm not sure I understand or respect the propensity to dilute the term "bigot" today. If you think something is a sin and oppose society validating that sin, how does that make you intolerant?

big·ot noun \ˈbi-gət\: a person who strongly and unfairly dislikes other people, ideas, etc. : a bigoted person; especially : a person who hates or refuses to accept the members of a particular group (such as a racial or religious group)
Nope, this isn't being dilluted at all. Likewise, if you think it is a sin for a black person and a white person to get married, and you oppose society validating that sin, you are ALSO intolerant. Yes.

I'm sick and tired of the completely ridiculous idea that tolerance means that we just don't care at all about what people say. It isn't about validating all opinions, it is making sure that all people are treated by the same standards, and this is a VERY important difference that any reasonable person should be able to understand.

In my opinion, it depends on what the service is. If it's photographing a gay wedding and the person doesn't want to do it, fine. If it's eating hamburgers at a hamburger joint, that's wrong.

If it's photographing a wedding of black people, but you hate black people, it's fine? I'm sorry, this is bullshit.

It's still easy enough to disagree on calling marriage a "right".

The problem is that "marriage", by the legal definition, is mandatorily exclusionary. There is a far longer list of situations that marriage does not cover than situations it does. My argument for getting the government out of marriage rests on the fact that the government shouldn't have any interest in whether people are married or not. And I don't want them recognizing "civil unions" or any crap like that, either. The only thing I want the government to care about is who depends on you and who your next of kin is. I was pretty clear about that in my previous post on the subject.

I'm sorry, but this is inexorably tied up with marriage, and you can like it or not, but that's an entirely different argument. Marriage is a massively important institution in our society, and plays a great role in how a GREAT MANY laws play out, how things like housing is set up, how insurance is given, how custody is awarded, how inheritances fall out, etc. Since there is no way to remove this idea as a bedrock, and to remove it from the thousands of laws, rules, regulations, etc. in place, we need to address it, and thus it IS a basic right that is VERY important in our society.

This isn't their fault, it is yours. This isn't people disagreeing, it is people refusing to let them have the same rights. It is banning people from joining because of their sexuality, it is denied access to healthcare, to hospital visits, to services. This is no thoughtcrime, it is action. Stop for second and realize that.

Further, get the fuck over these terrible arguments. Why is polygamy still illegal? Because of the history of oppression and treatment of women as property that has gone with it (and still goes with it today). Sure, it's worth considering, but it has a dirty past. Why is incest still illegal? Why are you being a moron? I know you're not a moron, but you're asking why we frown on establishing incest as a social norm? Equal means that we are all treated as equals as the default, not that we can't say hmm, the terrible risk of normalizing inbreeding on our society is risky, let's take that off the table.

Honestly, if you're going to say this is like incest, why even bother to take you seriously? What's next, why can't I marry a duck? Does this mean that gay people shouldn't be allowed to marry if ducks can't? Ugh.

THIS IS A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT ARGUMENT ENTIRELY. Yes, other things can be improved. Also, we need to do something about tort reform. Also, our immigration policies are in trouble. That next of kin rights are ALSO tied up in marriage doesn't make the argument entirely about this thing, and about the many different forms of next-of-kind rights.

Intolerance among gay rights activists is probably worse than it has ever been. I guess it's okay to be intolerant of the people you views as intolerant (even when they actually aren't intolerant) and crucify them, then turn around and puff your chest over your own tolerance and acceptance of people you don't agree with.

This is the argument of a child. Tolerance, again, doesn't mean that all arguments are equal, it means that we must treat people with equal respect, that people shouldn't be allowed rights or denied them based simply on how they are born. Not allowing people to stop people from marrying because of bigotry is not being intolerant, unless you want to play a game of semantics that ignores all context.

So yes, being tolerant means being intolerant of those who would deny rights to gay people. Yes, being tolerant means being intolerant to those who would deny rights to black people. Yes, being tolerant means being intolerant to those who would deny rights to women.

Crotale: Employers can't discriminate based upon religion because of the federal laws that protect against that: not at ALL because of the constitution. I have no idea what weird train of logic you attempted to form immediate after you brought that up, however. It was weird. Anyways, the constitution says that the GOVERNMENT can't abridge those rights, but private individuals (and companies) are not the government--they simply have to obey fed, state and local laws.

Crotale

Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Crotale: Employers can't discriminate based upon religion because of the federal laws that protect against that: not at ALL because of the constitution. I have no idea what weird train of logic you attempted to form immediate after you brought that up, however. It was weird. Anyways, the constitution says that the GOVERNMENT can't abridge those rights, but private individuals (and companies) are not the government--they simply have to obey fed, state and local laws.

Sure, civil rights laws pertaining to non-governmental entities and individuals do not provide Constitutional protections, but they are derived from those protections.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Sure, civil rights laws pertaining to non-governmental entities and individuals do not provide Constitutional protections, but they are derived from those protections.

The constitution has been cited as an example, but the constitution doesn't prevent people from being discriminated against by a private employer, the specific state and federal laws prevent that. Free speech, religion, the right to assemble, etc., those amendments only limit what the government can and can't do, and doesn't apply at all to private entities.

Which, by the way, makes it all the more hilarious when you say I need to learn about the constitution.

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
dragonfliet:
7zZnqHa.gif

Just to add: Most anti-gay people think that being gay is a choice. Like, I can just choose to enjoy fucking dudes.

Riiiiight.

Crotale

Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Free speech, religion, the right to assemble, etc., those amendments only limit what the government can and can't do, and doesn't apply at all to private entities.

Oh, really? Then why do civil rights laws pertaining to private employers prohibit discrimination against a person due to their religious beliefs?

I did say Constitution AND civil rights laws. Government employees' rights ARE protected by the Constitution to some degree, while no, private sector employees have none of those protections. I was making a more generalized statement that probably came out a bit sideways.

Crotale, if my boss finds out I'm Catholic and then begins to make disparaging comments about me being an altar boy who took it from a molester priest while I'm sitting there just trying to do my job, that is me being harassed for my beliefs. However, If I go to work with my strong Catholic beliefs on my sleeve and talk crap at the water cooler about the gay dude from accounting and how he is going to get raped by demons in eternal hellfire, that is me being a jerk and when my boss pulls me aside and tells me he has to let me go because of it that is the correct response any employer should, and would, make.

Your freedom of speech does not give you the freedom to be an asshole.

EDIT: I'm not saying this is what happened to this guy, but what you guys are talking about now is silly. What happened here is that someone cast a vote on an issue that is becoming more and more unpopular with people. The simple act of stepping out of your house, casting a vote, and donating money to a cause makes you accountable as a representative of that cause. Time passes and people remember what you did.

Last edited:

AlCapowned

Jan 20, 2010
Just to add: Most anti-gay people think that being gay is a choice. Like, I can just choose to enjoy fucking dudes.
Riiiiight.

Didn't you know? Some people just want to belong to a marginalized group for the challenge of it. Being treated like crap is so fun and exciting!

Crotale

Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Crotale, if my boss finds out I'm Catholic and then begins to make disparaging comments about me being an altar boy who took it from a molester priest while I'm sitting there just trying to do my job, that is me being harassed for my beliefs. However, If I go to work with my strong Catholic beliefs on my sleeve and talk crap at the water cooler about the gay dude from accounting and how he is going to get raped by demons in eternal hellfire, that is me being a jerk and when my boss pulls me aside and tells me he has to let me go because of it that is the correct response any employer should, and would, make.

Your freedom of speech does not give you the freedom to be an asshole.

Since when did I say the Constitution or any law gives you the protected right to injure another person? There may be a fine line between opposing an issue and hating the subjects in the issue, but that line does exist.

Case in point: black freedom. Those who opposed freedom for black Americans did so because they thought these folks were not citizens, not people, not worthy of being afforded the same freedoms on any scale you can measure. In the case of gay marriage, opponents are in disagreement with an action of marriage that does not fit traditional norms.

States have the Constitutionally guaranteed right to regulate contracts within their respective borders. A marriage license is a contract, right? After all, that is why you must go through a divorce proceeding in court...to dissolve that contractual agreement.

Most states require both person in a marriage to be at least 18 years of age or else they will need written parental consent. A few states have that age requirement set to 16, so does this mean all the 16 and 17 year old persons in the aforementioned states are being subjected to discriminating laws?

EDIT: I'm not saying this is what happened to this guy, but what you guys are talking about now is silly. What happened here is that someone cast a vote on an issue that is becoming more and more unpopular with people. The simple act of stepping out of your house, casting a vote, and donating money to a cause makes you accountable as a representative of that cause. Time passes and people remember what you did.

I get whjat you are saying, however, he did this back when general consensus was opposite what the numbers are now. I also ask of you and others to keep in mind that Mozilla knew about Eich's actions outside of work and did nothing about it until AFTER an external organization complained. Same thing happened to the Duck Commander guy, except his employer actually suspended him. Mozilla promoted Eich EVEN AFTER it was known to them that he had committed this act years ago.

Last edited:
I get whjat you are saying, however, he did this back when general consensus was opposite what the numbers are now. I also ask of you and others to keep in mind that Mozilla knew about Eich's actions outside of work and did nothing about it until AFTER an external organization complained. Same thing happened to the Duck Commander guy, except his employer actually suspended him. Mozilla promoted Eich EVEN AFTER it was known to them that he had committed this act years ago.

You said that earlier but "general consensus" always seemed pretty swayed from where I was standing. The problem is the disparity between what people generally think and feel about the subject and those that vote, and to those voting only their opinion matters because they are the ones throwing into the ring as they see it. I think that's fair enough most of the time. So in terms of who was voting at the time? Yeah, in some places it was like that. Others not so much in similar circumstances. It is impossible to gauge the pulse of public opinion, taking into account everyone, but considering the years spanning Prop 8 and now not a whole lot of time passed for "the general consensus" to completely reverse their moral convictions, right? Maybe it's more correct to say that events like Prop 8 compelled more and more people to take to the ballots when before they could only muster outrage from an armchair.

In regards to the stuff about Eich, that's more about what "we" knew about it isn't it? Nobody here knows what happened behind closed doors, how outspoken the guy was at work about his beliefs, or anything beyond what we read on the internet. You guys are literally arguing over something you don't know the intimate details about. From where I am standing all I can say is that the people in charge will always have the first instinct to wipe the sludge off their name brand before standing up for those they employ. If it gets out that your CEO is racist and contributed to Jim Crow-esque laws when holding black people down was fashionable, someone might have a problem keeping said person under employment, especially if that person is a representative of your company. It doesn't matter that times are different so much as they don't want bad press. I'm not saying it's right, I'm saying people need to be aware of their accountability when they take any action against the rights of others in the same populace because you never know when the other hand will drop.

Last edited: