Why does UT netcode suck for 56kers?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

mentat_void

Mar 26, 2001
Atlanta
Visit site
Guys. UT has absolutely the best graphics and game play in deathmatch. But there is one problem--the netcode. I would play this game all the time if they would patch the netcode to run client-side (aka, Half-Life\Counter Strike) so when I shoot my damn weapon, it won't take 1/2 to 1 second to fire. It is so damn frustrating to have a dude in your rifle scope point blank and fire it only to see that your target has moved by the time it takes the godamn netcode to report back to server that you fired gun!!! I know I need better connection blah blah blah, but not all of us have access to broadband.The reason why HalLife\Counter Strike is so popular is that you don't have to be on a T1 line to play decently. I routinely ope up a can of woop ass on cable/dsl users in CS. But the graphics are outdated. I have tac-ops, but cant't play it cus of poor netcode. And tac-ops is a precision game. Can't be precise when it takes a good second to fire gun :( I just wish that UT would be kind enough to patch it to where dialups can play on equal footing with broadband peeps. Last count there are about 11,000 counter strike servers up and running at once. The reason is the netcode. Tac-ops could be that popular if the netcode was better. I get on average about 60 to 100 fps in UT now with my new mobo and cpu, but it makes no difference because it takes too long to fire weapons.:(

The_Shadow_Knows

He who hides from his own shadow!
Jul 22, 2001
Visit site
Dude I feel for ya I use to cry about the netcode all the time, but got nowhere with it I am afraid to say its the ISP's problem not to mention UT's a memory hog from hell! I went from 56k to digital and now all my problems are resolved. I know that don't help yur situation but I tried every 56k isp I could think of, and they are always to slow cause of the heavy internet traffic! I got a box sitting in the corner right now filled from bottom to top with nothin but 56k modems that I bought on a daily basis trying to get a better connection so i could play UT!

But with all the money I spent buying those modems I could have gotten hooked to digital alot sooner and been done with it.. Lets face it analog modems are a thing of the past. Now some out there seem to get lucky and find a real good ISP and romp but with their 56ks , but that does nothin to help the next person down the line. If you do have digital in your town I suggest checking into it if you like UT that much ..

Stryker8

Jan 26, 2000
well, you have to admit 56k isn't really advisable for online gaming for the new games around, conclusion get dsl or cable, or steal a t1 from a company ;)

Pope

Jan 21, 2000
Visit site
If you have a 500ms ping to a server, whatever game you play, whatever netcode you use, it is just bound to suck.

How good your overall connection is during a game is based on way too many factors and netcode is only a small part of it.

el Gato

Has-Been
Jan 19, 2000
outside Raleigh NC
What Pope said. I'd also blame it on phone lines, ISP, and modem.

What kind of pings to you usually get? My best pings to servers are around the 150-230 mark, which equates to ~ 0.2 second delay. Not to shabby for dial up.

I think LK gets sub 150 pings on dialup. That's better than some cable.

Pope

Jan 21, 2000
Visit site
Also: net settings of server you're playing on. If the server admin is a networking n00b, games won't be us fun on his server :)

The_Shadow_Knows

He who hides from his own shadow!
Jul 22, 2001
Visit site
Originally posted by el Gato
What Pope said. I'd also blame it on phone lines, ISP, and modem.

What kind of pings to you usually get? My best pings to servers are around the 150-230 mark, which equates to ~ 0.2 second delay. Not to shabby for dial up.

I think LK gets sub 150 pings on dialup. That's better than some cable.
;) I get an average 38 ping el Gato yu wanna go for some 1vrs1 :)

Ve7

Rest In Peace
Dec 2, 2000
Originally posted by mentat_void
I get on average about 60 to 100 fps in UT now with my new mobo and cpu, but it makes no difference because it takes too long to fire weapons.:(

You're gonna hate this but being on 56k your fps is probably capped lower than that anyway.

Pope

Jan 21, 2000
Visit site
Re: Re: Why does UT netcode suck for 56kers?

Originally posted by [TDO]Ve7

You're gonna hate this but being on 56k your fps is probably capped lower than that anyway.

Yeah, not your actual FPS (your PC might be able to push out 100) but the poor old 56k can only bring in 30 (probably less) frames of info for your machine to draw.

In general, the more demanding matches in UT (say 16 players) push/pull a bit more than a 64kpbs conn can handle. I'm on ISDN64 and seldomly have throughput problems but I have witness some.

REeeE{skullface}

p-REeeE-dictable
Feb 28, 2001
SF, CA
Visit site
it is by will alone i set my mind in motion.
it is by the juice of Sapu that
thoughts aquire speed,
the lips aquire stain,
the stain becomes a warning,
it is by will alone i set my mind in motion.

Mentat that dude! ;)

I have a 56, i know the pain... all i can say is find an OK server and order DSL ;) fyi.. lots of 56k'ers out there so keep the faith.

Ree

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
First off. It's not UT. Is very possible to get 120-150 pings on 56K to local servers. And it is also possible to own broadband players on 56k

Tell us what modem and what ISP you have. Get a hardware modem, like a US Robotics PCI. If you have a software winmodem the CPU has to do all the calculations.

UT's netcode is not the best. But I'd rather have a T2-like netcode than clientside crap like CS. There is the Zeroping mod and it does excactly that. And know what? It sucks. You get shot behind walls every minute, cause the player positions aren't in sync with the server. So the server thinks you are visible but in fact you are somewhere else. No thanks

mentat_void

Mar 26, 2001
Atlanta
Visit site
Well, guys, thanx for the support and all. I got a $12 Motorla winmodem and a robotics external for my linux. I have tried both when playing UT but same thing. I average 300 to 400 ping most times, but in CS i get same ping and always get a good frag/death ratio when up against cable/dsl users. Which is my point-- UT netcode sux. It has the greatest graphics/deathmatch available. I'm on Speedfactory.net local isp. A REAL ISP not aolhell or something.
I have tried 4 other isps with same result in last 4 months. Sticking to speedfactory@$99 a year :) until I get dsl in my area. Atlanta isnt fully wired yet. I used to have same problem with Delta Force about a year ago, have sense stopped playing it, especially after CS :)

REeeE{FDOC}---I'm glad someone knows what a freaking Mentat is!!! Everyone I play with assumes I'm miss-spelling MENTAL!!!!

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
Key line here:
"UT's netcode is not the best. But I'd rather have a T2-like netcode than clientside crap like CS. There is the Zeroping mod and it does excactly that. And know what? It sucks. You get shot behind walls every minute, cause the player positions aren't in sync with the server. So the server thinks you are visible but in fact you are somewhere else. No thanks"

CS netcode only FEELS good - it ain't. Talk about your cheating breeding grounds.

UT ain't great, but least it keeps everyone honest (okay, 99% of everyone).

LordKhaine

I sing the body electric...
Dec 6, 1999
UK
Visit site
Originally posted by 8-4-7-2
First off. It's not UT. Is very possible to get 120-150 pings on 56K to local servers. And it is also possible to own broadband players on 56k

I do both of these :)

UT netcode rox for 56K'ers, period. Play Q3A and you'll see what I mean.

LordKhaine

I sing the body electric...
Dec 6, 1999
UK
Visit site
lpb3.jpg

Good hardware 56K + good line + ok ISP = 0wnage.