Epic Citadel in Flash

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
During the 2012 GDC, a lot of talk was made of Unreal Engine games being capable of running in Flash. Now, with Flash 11.2, you can wander the grounds of the Epic Citadel they've demo'ed for iOS. Jaded veterans will note there is no jump button, nor can you plunge to your death over the high cliff walls, still it's an impressive piece of technology.

DannyMeister

UT3 Jailbreak Coder
Dec 11, 2002
Bolivar, Missouri
Indeed. After 12 minutes of downloading assets I get this:
ue3flash.jpg

DannyMeister

UT3 Jailbreak Coder
Dec 11, 2002
Bolivar, Missouri
I just wish the future of rural DSL (or any high speed internet) were as bright. I get 50% advertised speed with huge latency and not a thing I can do about it since there's only one provider. Good thing the government gave them a bunch of my tax money to spend on advertisement so they can stress their inadequate network more and to acquire other rural DSL providers to extend their monopoly over larger areas instead of investing in infrastructure. /Windstream and taxes rant

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I'm still not sold on this idea... First of all, Adobe is all but abandoning development of Flash on all non-Windows/OSX platforms. Again. Second, Jacks is nuts. I'm on 20mb internet and it took a good 2 minutes to download the assets for this, plus it froze at 97% and I had to refresh the page and wait for it to verify my files and finish downloading after that. And that is for this EXTREMELY simple tech demo which, based on the iOS version of this, is a little under 100mb uncompressed. Third, it looks like the visual quality is pretty much exactly the same as on iOS which makes sense because your GPU is rendering this.

I like the general idea, but I just don't see a path forward for Flash as a game platform as long as Adobe keeps screwing around with platform support. One day you work with Linux and Android phones, the next day you are chopped liver.

DannyMeister

UT3 Jailbreak Coder
Dec 11, 2002
Bolivar, Missouri
I thought just maybe it was a problem with Chrome. But the 11.2 plugin in IE is doing the same thing. Such beautiful bush sprites floating over a repeating static water texture!

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
I tried it last week and was unimpressed. The Epic Citadel demo on iOS is around 80Mb, and this flash version has all the audio cut out of it, so it's even smaller. On my 120Mb connection, it took three or four minutes to download and run.

The average connection speed in this country is around 3mb/s, it'd take around half an hour just to download Epic Citadel.

Your average UT3 map is between four and five times this size, possibly considerably more. Can't wait to see 'Samaritan quality content' download times.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Mine downloaded in about 20 seconds. I think this is pretty neat. It did seem to have a few FPS drops though, and the control scheme was horrible, but that can be changed.

Over all, not particularly impressed. It's neat, but not that useful.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
This demo looks like pretty much a direct "publish to flash" action. Hence the shitty control scheme. For me it downloaded quite fast (ADSL 2+, effectively 16Mb/s).
I've done a bit of reverse engineering on the stuff. To be honest, it's quite nice. Basically it's the engine cross compiled to the Flash virtual machine (with an extra performance penalty) and the rest is more or less exactly unreal engine content. Everything is gzip compressed to reduce the size event more. But it's quite nice.
The epic citadel might not be the best showcase for the technology considering the rather large initial download. Streaming the content should be quite well supported, but you need to create rather small levels in your world for the best streaming performance.
But anyway, this is serious competition for Unity3D, specially considering that you don't need some special plugin (just Flash). Also, it should be rather OS agnostic, but Adobe is more or less dropping Linux support for Flash.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
[NBK]Rattman;2555150 said:
I ran this on my work computer in Firefox and this is exactly what mine looked like.

2 different computers 3 different browsers and i still haven't seen it...seems a bit buggy
strange.
I've tried it now on 4 different computers and 3 browsers.

1 PC desktop on Firefox.
1 PC laptop on IE8.
1 Mac dekstop on Safari.
1 Mac laptop on Safari.

the PC running IE8 took the longest to download assets (about 1 minute compared to about 30 seconds on the others) but each of these setups were able to run the map just fine once loaded.

ChookWoods

Jun 19, 2005
FYI to everyone having issues of it not displaying correctly. I had the same issue, its not browser or os issue, right click the flash window and go to settings and enable hardware acceleration then reload it and itll work fine.