\\\Theme Design Contest///

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Nahand

!!! God Of Random !1?
Oct 24, 2003
PT
\\\Theme Design Contest/// (for Unreal Tournament)

The point in Theme Design Contest (TDC) is to create a nice (preferably new) theme for a given BSP base, and although its a DM layout (this time), contestants can create a theme (& map) for ANY OFFICIAL UT GAMETYPE. In the end, a mappack will be assembled.

The "contest" starts as of the time of this post (February) and ends at the 17th of March (entries should be in my possession by mid-night GMT). Since layout is given, you have to concentrate mainly in adapting your theme(s) to the given map. More than 1 entry is allowed per person - the only concern here is to pull out themes nicely and solid, not some rushed crap.

Layout should NOT be butchered, but can be adapted *minimaly*, and/or proportion changed *slightly* to fit the theme.

>Essencial rules:
-develop one or more themes for the given layout (see above for alterations);
-maps MUST be correctly working, INCLUDING COMPLETE BOTPATH;
-maps can use ANY textures, sounds, scripts, etc. Author should try and get things into Mylevel package always as possible;
-maps should be sent to me and/or posted as BETAS in Unreal Playground for me to download (although "beta" tagged, they should, at this time, be complete works for the mappack);
-maps should obbey to the DM-TDC-<map name> tag (change gametype prefix as needed);
-map LEVEL INFO should containt all relevant data & preview screenshot;
-in the author field, in level info, you should place: Theme by <nickname>

>Gametype rules:
-DM is the point here;
-However, you can map for ANY gametype of UT. Make it a DOM or CTF map if you like;
-Concerning CTF, layout duplication IS ALLOWED (should you opt that way), but the way you connect the two bases is up to you. Minimal aditions to BSP for this are allowed, like extra little room, or corridors, or portal areas. It is NOT ALLOWED to overly develop (in size and complexity) the "middle" area of the CTF map, in that case. Keep it simple and playable, but with attention to detail.
-About DOM, if you feel there's not enough space for DOM points, you can create that space within given limits: make one of the access corridors with a small (and i mean small) section (little room encompassing it all) to it to accomodate a DOM point; or add a suspended wood platform in a bigger room.

***GET DOWNLOAD @ UnrealPlayground's TDC post***

>Map Submission:
-Like said, maps should be in my PC by mid-night GMT of 17th of March;
-Submission options include e-mailing me the zip with map (and extra files were appliable; and a small text file optionally) - this is the prefered method . To do so, e-mail: aguiaperdida<AT>mail<POINT>pt (< care to replace AT by @ and POINT by . Don't screw it) with the header: 'TDC Map Submission - <whatever info/author name you what/whatever>' ;
-You can upload maps at UnrealPlayground in the BETA section for me to collect them - same rules of above point apply. Following this method, you should CLEARLY identify the map as a finnished product for me to download and e-mail me or PM me with the heads-up.

+ADDED INFO+:
The BSP provided is a layout sample, mappers should start from zero their own map, but respecting the sample layout, as said...
-One cool example would be to use the layout scheme given, but make it a floating space map! - your creativity is the star here.
-As stated above in this post, you can alter *slightly* some parts of the layout (but not extremely) to fit your needs: feel there's too many corridors for access? Then make a new access for that part with an elevator pit, or a way for a kicker, as long as the original layout connectivity is respected . Want to make an angled roof? You can. Want to make that wall not so vertical by making it somewhat curvy? You can. Want to make all sorts of openings for ambient light? You're on. Want to carve a balcony at that lonely empty wall for a tasty power-up? Do it.
-Polygon limit per view isn't exactly limited, but keep in mind the suggested optimal max value of 250-300 polys per view. Remember that the idea is the theme, but since the layout is somewhat occluding per si, there should be little problems for your creativity. Also consider players with an older PC -PLEASE- .
-Proportions aren't strict. Unlike the sample layout, you DO NOT need to make it a multiple of considered 16uu units (in the sample, there's much done in 256uu size). If you feel a corridor, room or else, can be smaller, shorter, taller, etc, you can do it, as long as you don't make it conflict with one another (example: make a corridor so tall it cuts to another part of the map above, and creates oddity. If the above space of that corridor is empty however, you could make it as tall as 2048uu for all i care).
-If you want, you can add BSP to empty areas - example: add some pilars (or a bunch of crates )to the main area. This doesn't affect layout (presumably) and is allowed. Feel that a certain straight path needs some occluding BSP? Allowed to add. Seems obvious, but i'd thought in pointing it out just in case.
-README is not obligatory - the final mappack will be sporting a readme file by me with all info on contributions and respective authors, and TDC details and info. HOWEVER, if you want to, you can add a text file to your submission(s) with author commentary about the map (in whatever sense you deem right), about TDC, or anything relevant to the matter. I'll gladly add those (i'm always eager to some insight of mapper's mind) to the final readme file.

CROSS ANNOUNCEMENT of this thread @ Unreal Playground...

Last edited:

Twrecks

Spectacularly Lucky
Mar 6, 2000
In Luxury
www.twrecks.info
So... This 1st contest is for a DM map right?
And it's all about theme right?
No poly limits, minimum player counts, playability, just theme.
Kinda like: who can make the best Falkenstien in 4 weeks then... pity I came on this thread 1 week into the contest :p

Hort

Dec 24, 2004
Hey Twrecks- long time!

There is -no- poly limit but Nahand is asking to keep it reasonable. ;)

I'm fooling around with something for it at the moment. We'll see where it goes.

Attachments

• Shot0019.jpg
    Shot0019.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 184

Bot_40

Go in drains
Nov 3, 2001
York, UK
lol, it's (quite obviously) completely different to what I am playing around with and (also prolly quite obviously ;) ) much more complete :)
Lookin' good!

Nahand

!!! God Of Random !1?
Oct 24, 2003
PT
... thank you Bot40 ;) . About the deadline, end of February... but as i stated, if there's little participation (not likely, fortunately many people seem interested), or high demand for a little deadline "push" (many people not having enough time to complete, maybe due to other projects going at the same time), then i'll obviously consider March. But ATM, i'm pointing February. And it's no problem a week into the play already, even i haven't locked a particular theme (almost though), and my map will problably stick to the sample layout much more than HortonWho's one :p ...

EDIT: oh and Twrecks, it's not strict to DM gametype...

Last edited:

TheSpoonDog

CBP3! Yarrr!
Jun 1, 2001
NZ
spoondog.beyondunreal.com
Back to NZ actually, for now (from Sydney). I probably have a job lined up in NZ at Sidhe, just waiting for confirmation on that, try my luck back home for a while... but if it doesn't work out I'll probably head over to Europe/US/Canada :)

By the way I downloaded the layout map and started making something, but screwed it up... maybe ill get the time to try again. Want to do a *really* unique theme though!

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
This "theme" means "how good of looking map you can make" contest.

The theme is gameplay for me, I do mapping on an idea but I aint good enough to please the graphics heads.

Nahand

!!! God Of Random !1?
Oct 24, 2003
PT
... the theme is a theme you can come up with. I like gameplay as well, RedFist, and you can try a minimalist stuff if you don't feel comfortable with more elaborate themes. (i sometimes think alike too). This is not an elitist challenge by any chance, and i more than welcome any contributions, so, if you think you can give it a shot [within TDC rules], then go ahead :) ...

... and good going Azmodai :) ...

Nahand

!!! God Of Random !1?
Oct 24, 2003
PT
... February will hold for now... i'll reconsider at the final week if needed ;) ...

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
I say a rule should be added, no external programs used for brushes or importing meshes,3dmax or maya, only new textures.

But I can't map all that good, so you all say, but if it's for UT and NOT ut04 I will be checking out these themes when there done.

And timewise to avoid crappy maps or other things make it the end of march, you gotta feel like editing and have time.

And there's no way people can compete against bot40 or spoondog, so I will wait for the "best crappy map contest".

Last edited:

Nahand

!!! God Of Random !1?
Oct 24, 2003
PT
ReD_Fist said:
I say a rule should be added, no external programs used for brushes or importing meshes,3dmax or maya, only new textures.

... i see no problem in using them to achieve the theme in mind...

ReD_Fist said:
But I can't map all that good, so you all say, but if it's for UT and NOT ut04 I will be checking out these themes when there done.

... it is for UT, not UT2004. Even if people say you don't map that good that shouldn't be a thing to bother you. Participate anyway, if you like :) ...

ReD_Fist said:
And timewise to avoid crappy maps or other things make it the end of march, you gotta feel like editing and have time.

... as i've pointed out, March will be considered if needed...

ReD_Fist said:
And there's no way people can compete against bot40 or spoondog, so I will wait for the "best crappy map contest".

... i also writed that this is NOT by any means an "elitist" challenge. *Anybody can participate*, and if good mappers are involved, that doesn't mean you cannot come up with an interesting situation. Your call :) ...

Last edited:

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
Ya, I know, but using other programs to go beyond the confines of unrealEd just isn't fair for a "contest".

Any contest or if people can vote later, by using 3dmax is not the original game, but using other textures is a good way to have a look to a map wich doesn't look like stock unreal.

And having complex brushes and having no bsp holes and keeping the fps good, has a better judgmental view of the author, and offer a better competion or just a cool map for "UT" or "Unreal" engine.

Allthough if they use a program wich turns a Ued made brush into deco mesh to import would be fair.

Geez I am being stupid, I seen the bsp map there just downloaded it, now things make more sense agh.

Last edited: