Tweak UT graphics/sound to the max

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The greatest mystery of all: OpenGL or D3D (Including the D3D8 one)?

• OpenGl

Votes: 108 64.7%
  • D3D (or D3D8)

Votes: 41 24.6%
  • Software is the best!

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • They all suck!

Votes: 14 8.4%

• Total voters

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
It does, but you miss the music and it's quite unfair, bots can't listen.
I think that the original UT music isn't too good as it is somewhat repetitive (exceptions: Into The Darkness, Botpack#9 (hey, I'm listening to it now!), Foregone Destruction, Hyperblast, and of course UT menu!). I prefer the original Unreal music, all of those tracks are totally cool! Like Bluff Eversmoking Tense Theme, WarGate, Chizra... The original Unreal maps didn't have music, so I converted the weapons to UT and added the music, and it has improved a lot! Really, try adding Bounds of Foundry to Healpod][ and you will feel the difference!

iSenSe

on it!
Jan 20, 2008
DM-1on1SmallMountain [NL]
some music is good indeed.
but cause iam an instagibber, we run at eachother, pure aiming skills
so i need to head footsteps and stuff.
but oh well.. when i played all the hardstyle i usually listen to
i sometimes sneak some Bluff eversmoking into the WIndows Media Player ;)

love the UT menu music from ut2k3 though

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Hmm, is that one the one with the trumpets? Not sure if the UT2003-Menu in UT2004 is the real UT2003 menu music :) But UT2004 Menu is really cool, I like it more than the original!
I have all Unreal, Unreal Beta, Unreal 2, Unreal Tournament, Unreal Tournament 2004, a few Unreal Tournament 3 and Unreal Remix tracks in MP3 :)

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Not exactly. What I'm saying is if you like playing UT (original version) with custom maps, then a lot come with Unreal (first game) music as the music file in the zip package. That way you can hear Unreal music files in the UT game.

Probably not something we want to continue talking about in this thread, but if you PM me (or start a new thread) and let me know what Unreal music files you are interested in playing with in custom maps, then I'll let you know which custom maps are coded to play each one of those files out of the 1,000 plus UT custom maps I still have installed. Then again, maybe UT now has the ability to play any music file for any map, but I never really explored that option (maybe that's only UT2003 or UT2004).:)

EDIT: actually not as far off-topic as I originally thought. I seemed to have missed the word "sound" in the thread title.:)

Last edited:

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
Direct3D9

If someone doesn't know yet that latest Direct3D9 renderer is out then here it is :)

Finished a D3D9 renderer. Its feature set is very similar to the most recent OpenGL renderer. Like the D3D8 renderer, it doesn't support selection in the editor.

- Fixed a minor bug with masked texture blending and OneXBlending disabled that's present in the latest D3D8 renderer.
- All pixel shader 2.0 (if UseFragmentProgram enabled). Many could easily be done with 1.x, but also wouldn't offer much over fixed function if not using the most complicated pixel shaders.
- Added SceneNodeHack to all builds and set to enabled by default.
- Picks up SinglePassDetail paths for base texture only plus detail texture. Latest OpenGL renderer has this, but latest D3D8 renderer does not.

http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
back to OpenGL:)

Anyone know WTF this means?

"Changes in version 3.4:
- Added the new NoAATiles option to avoid HUD corruption with antialiasing enabled.
Enabling NoAATiles should eliminate the HUD corruption that can occur when antialiasing is enabled. As the name implies, it disables antialiasing when drawing tiles. Note that corruption with antialiasing enabled can still occur on the logo background if using Entry.unr on startup. This background isn't made of tiles (when talking about it from the renderer perspective). There may be some hardware/drivers where NoAATiles won't work if they don't support the feature it uses."

I guess this means if I notice any HUD corruption to add this command?
NoAATiles=True

brdempsey69

Original UT Owns !!
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
If someone doesn't know yet that latest Direct3D9 renderer is out then here it is :)

http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/

Tried and tested this Direct3D9 renderer with Windows Vista and it works fantastic. I have GeForce 8800GTX.

So if anybody picks up a Vista machine and wants to play UT, then this renderer is definitely for them.

Overall, I'm amazed at the work Chris Dohnal has done for Unreal Engine 1 games and that he is still keeping at it. Let me tell you, we really owe him one hell of a lot of thanks.

Last edited:

Raynor.Z

Feb 1, 2006
Anyone know WTF this means?

"Changes in version 3.4:
- Added the new NoAATiles option to avoid HUD corruption with antialiasing enabled.
Enabling NoAATiles should eliminate the HUD corruption that can occur when antialiasing is enabled. As the name implies, it disables antialiasing when drawing tiles. Note that corruption with antialiasing enabled can still occur on the logo background if using Entry.unr on startup. This background isn't made of tiles (when talking about it from the renderer perspective). There may be some hardware/drivers where NoAATiles won't work if they don't support the feature it uses."

I guess this means if I notice any HUD corruption to add this command?
NoAATiles=True

No, this means when it's set TRUE it will eliminate HUD corruption when AA is enabled, works very well btw.

Raynor.Z

Feb 1, 2006
Tried and tested this Direct3D9 renderer with Windows Vista and it works fantastic. I have GeForce 8800GTX.

So if anybody picks up a Vista machine and wants to play UT, then this renderer is definitely for them.

Overall, I'm amazed at the work Chris Dohnal has done for Unreal Engine 1 games and that he is still keeping at it. Let me tell you, we really owe him one hell of a lot of thanks.

Also ran perfectly with Vista x64 (I had a lucky chance to try this out on killer rig - Intel QX6850, 8 GB RAM and dual 8800GTX's, looked godlike at 1920x1200) :eek:

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
No, this means when it's set TRUE it will eliminate HUD corruption when AA is enabled, works very well btw.

the only thing I really noticed as far as HUD corruption is my player is cutoff a bit on the top and bottom. Is there anything else I should be looking for?
EDIT: nevermind, I think you mean "HUD corruption" in the game not in the menus. So what kind of corruption should I be looking for?

Last edited:

brdempsey69

Original UT Owns !!
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
Also ran perfectly with Vista x64 (I had a lucky chance to try this out on killer rig - Intel QX6850, 8 GB RAM and dual 8800GTX's, looked godlike at 1920x1200) :eek:

That is a killer rig indeed. Would like to see some 1900X1200 screenies from that rig.

I find it ironic and hilarious at the same time that the original UT has better support for Vista right now than any of the other UT series games, because UT3 doesn't run as well on Vista as it does on XP ( at least not on my rig and I have XP/Vista dual boot, AMD 6000+, 4 GB RAM, 8800GTX ) and UT2004 runs like sh1t on Vista.

And thanks for the NoAATiles tip also.

Last edited:

Gothik

Day Tripper
Jun 8, 2000
UK
Visit site
the only thing I really noticed as far as HUD corruption is my player is cutoff a bit on the top and bottom. Is there anything else I should be looking for?
EDIT: nevermind, I think you mean "HUD corruption" in the game not in the menus. So what kind of corruption should I be looking for?

The NoAATiles option only affects the main menu AFAIK, on my PC with the option set to off and AA on, the entire menu looks like it has a grid overlay. With the option on, the menu looks as it should. It may have affected the ingame hud in the same way (ie the grill effect), but I don't remember.

I also get the character models being slightly cutoff in the menu (and the Xan models look hilarious, like he's been crushed from above). No idea what causes this one, unless it's because the game is being run at a far higher resolution than was expected and the models have been scaled up, like the crosshair or the hud in Deus Ex if you run the game over 1024 x 768.

Raynor.Z

Feb 1, 2006
Most commonly HUD edges get slightly disordered, that's all. Nothing big, but still noticeable and NoAATiles=True will fix that.

That is a killer rig indeed. Would like to see some 1900X1200 screenies from that rig.
Unfortunately this wasn't my machine and I don't know if I can play with it anytime soon, but I make sure I'll grab some screenies if I get another chance.

brdempsey69

Original UT Owns !!
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
Now that we have a video renderer for Vista for UT, let's look at the audio side of things for Vista. For those using Creative Audigy or X-Fi and 5.1 speaker setups then you will want the Creative Alchemy utility to restore EAX and DirectSound effects to UT. Otherwise all you'll get is stereo sound. Here's the link to get this utility: http://www.soundblaster.com/alchemy/

You can get Vista drivers for Creative sound cards here: http://www.soundblaster.com/language.asp?sDestUrl=/support/downloads

stephen_wq

AKA The--Grim--Reaper
Dec 15, 2003
SkaarjMaster i see you posted your ini a few pages back, is that the most updated and best config, and OpenGL looks the best?

So if i copy your config and get the latest OpenGL as well as S3TC textures i can get mine working like
enhanced opengl :

s3tconopengl.jpg

:D

Last time i tried S3TC there were model problems on almost every BT map where players would lie down when dodging, slide along and pretty much all player animations were wrong. Does this still happen?

Also whats the deal with http://www.unrealtexture.com/UT/UT.htm? It sounds like they are pretty high detailed, would those work fine? Anyone tested them? If you only used the high end master files will you only get half being S3TC and the rest standard?

Last edited: