Space Engineers - The Greetest

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
So, there's this game. It's called Space Engineers, and it's still alpha, technically, and it's amazing. A mish-mosh of Minecraft, Kerbal Space Program, and Lego bricks in space, Space Engineers brings out that desire to create awesome spacey structures, crazy contraptions, and other outlandish devices such as giant gravity cannons that fling rocks (and other objects) at lightning speed.

The gameplay (in survival mode) consists of mining asteroids and salvaging wayward vessels for their materials to construct your own ships and/or repair vessels that have been damaged by asteroids (if you have them turned on). You can create fighter ships, military vessels, just about anything and fight each other, or band up against the harsh, inhospitable environment of an asteroid field.

It just recently got the tools for dedicated servers. There has been an update every Thursday thusfar with minor hotfixes in between.
[m]http://youtu.be/Dc5g8p4ZhSE[/m]

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
That looks awesome. Not really a fan of 3rd person perspective, especially not in a space simulator type of game. Kills the immersion.
Looks like they have something going for them though, and there's definitely room for it besides Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen, as it fills its type of experience, as you said, almost like Minecraft, where Elite and SC are more like EVE.

Vaskadar

Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Hey, if you'd like to add me on Steam so that I can get you set up with my dedicated server, just look up my usual username: Vaskadar.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
I've been looking at this game on Steam. It does look interesting. Thanks for the recommendation.
I bought this on Steam the other day (50% discount).

I am now totally sucked in by this game. I've wanted a space game that actually challenges the imagination for quite some time (Elite is still way too expensive in pre-release) and this is definitely it.

I see with a recent update they increased the world size to a maximum of 1,000,000 sq. kms. That's a big slice of asteroid belt to explore and mine.

That looks awesome. Not really a fan of 3rd person perspective, especially not in a space simulator type of game. Kills the immersion.
There is a first person view. I'm finding that some jetpack work, such as building, is better in third person.

Friggin' awesome game.

Let me at the mods! (The community, even in beta release, has been hard at work modding).

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Elite is still way too expensive in pre-release

Elite Dangerous is actually out now, but it's still a somewhat empty experience. Unless you really enjoy what the current game has to offer (watch some vids) then I'd suggesting waiting maybe half a year before picking it up. The devs have a lot of grand plans and the framework they have so far is very impressive and really just begs for some nice updates.

Vaskadar

Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
One of these days we should get our own damn server, with blackjack, and hookers.

I was hosting one, but then I moved and couldn't get the same ISP in this area, unfortunately, which is a damn shame.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
One of these days we should get our own damn server, with blackjack, and hookers.
image.jpg

Yeah; I checked my Steam stats yesterday. I've only had this game a two months and I've put 160 hours into it. I am totally obsessed by SE.............. aaaaaaaargh!!! :biggrin2:

Vaskadar

Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
They're working on planets as a feature, now. I dunno when it'll go in. I'm kind of expecting something along the lines of No Man's Sky.

Except you make your own ships.