Mark Rein Says: "3DS is under UE3 spec"

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
According to Mark Rein, the upcoming Nintendo 3DS may be under-specced. He did caveat that by saying that Epic does not actually have a device to test with, but their preliminary guessing has led them to believe that the 3DS will not be as powerful as the iPhone 3GS or higher. "No," Rein said. "It's below our [minimum specifications], from what we can tell. We don't have a 3DS, so there's no way for us to verify that," he added, "but everything we've been led to believe is that it's below our min-spec. You couldn't do a game that looks like [Epic Citadel] on it, for example."

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
It's pretty commonly known already that the 3DS isn't as powerful (graphically) as people expected.
But, I've seen some cool stuff running on it, and it's not like Epic have to remake Gears; they could do something unique for the platform, stripping down the engine enough to get it to work (?), or maybe just resorting to UE2.5.

I don't know

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
It's pretty commonly known already that the 3DS isn't as powerful (graphically) as people expected.
But, I've seen some cool stuff running on it, and it's not like Epic have to remake Gears; they could do something unique for the platform, stripping down the engine enough to get it to work (?), or maybe just resorting to UE2.5.

I don't know

Granted it is no portable ps3 or 360, but if Capcom can get Street Fighter 4 to run on it, I am sure Epic can pull something out of their hat.

SuperDre

May 6, 2002
Helmond.nl
www.superteam.tk
hmm.. for a handheld that has to followup the DS and has to have a lifespan of several years, and when it is released not even up to the same specs as the iPhone 3GS then I think it is just a waste of money.. Nintendo is just cashing in with big margins and people will fall for the same crap again..

Miko

Miko No Pants
Jul 2, 2004
Flopping in bed
You know with this being said. Nintendo is going to go to them with a 3ds like they already did with other companies.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
hmm.. for a handheld that has to followup the DS and has to have a lifespan of several years, and when it is released not even up to the same specs as the iPhone 3GS then I think it is just a waste of money.. Nintendo is just cashing in with big margins and people will fall for the same crap again..

The original DS failed in comparison to the PSP and look who is currently eating the ground. Specs don't mean **** nowadays, it has and always will be about the library.

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site

I don't totally agree, but the announced price tag is a shocker.
I'll probably wait for a revision or two before buying one, like I did with the DS.

They pretty much nailed everything I wanted from a new DS except for dual touch screens, but the 3-d screen might make up for that if it looks awesome enough.

Last edited:

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
I don't totally agree, but the announced price tag is a shocker.
I'll probably wait for a revision or two before buying one, like I did with the DS.

They pretty much nailed everything I wanted from a new DS except for dual touch screens, but the 3-d screen might make up for that.

Did they announce US pricing yet? All I have seen was guessing that it may be around 250 bucks, which given the tech sounds about right.

Miko

Miko No Pants
Jul 2, 2004
Flopping in bed
if you think about it. 3Ds already has a huge library as it follows suit on what most Nintendo hand helds do. its backward compatible. The top screen is considerably larger then the original DS screen. It's price point is really damn high but that was to be expected with what it does and the tech involved.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I won't buy one for anything over $100, myself. I've invested in handhelds that were meant for gaming before that cost more than that and they all sat in a corner and collected dust after a few months.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
This is coming from the man who said he wouldn't support the Wii based on hardware that didn't meet requirements, only to see UE3 developed for mobile devices.

It's an anti-Nintendo thing. Nothing to do with the ACTUAL hardware.

Blaaguuu

taunt pthrust
May 27, 2002
Earshot of monkeys
Visit site
I'm pretty sure they announced it at $300 USD

Nintendo has only announced the Japanese price, which is almost exactly $300... So most expectations are that it will sell for $300 in the states, but Nintendo has launched hardware at different price points in different regions before, so I wouldn't be terribly surprised by a $250 US price.

And I don't really care if UE3 runs on the 3DS... if they can manage it, good on them, and it might make a few developer's lives easier, but the engine doesn't really seem like a good fit for it, unless they go the UDK route, and make it easier for indie developers to get on the new 3DSWare system, or whetever they end up calling it. Portable indie games are still probably better suited for smart phones, though.