Ground Branch (by Blackfoot Studios)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Wont be enough to just hire someone, we need someone who cares (which means to understand the idea). Also as Indigo said, it's not only about coding nowadays anymore. We need a team. Realism in a game doesn't only mean how things are programmed to function but also animated to work, etc. Assets are needed and they need to be of not generic mainstream build, but developed with "as real as it gets" in mind. There is more to it, it is more complicated than that.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Not counting maps and missions I put things into two cathegories, Art and Function. Art is 3D, texture and sound. Function is code and animation.
Art is important and can add a great deal to help realism and immersion, but Function is the core aspect, because it is not about how things look but how features work and are used by the player.

As example. Most generic way to do pistols is to have the slide unlocking after reloading as a separate animation, in real life, when your life depends on it, you slap the mag in and aim the pistol while unlocking the slide after which you can fire immediately. Two actions in one move, that's realism and if the animator doesn't get it right, even the programmer can't help it.
Same with drawing the sidegun, if your life depends on it, you can unsave the pistol and already fire a couple of rounds even before you brought it to aim. This is realism, this is gameplay. These are the things the animator needs to be aware of and work toward to and the programmer needs to make it being usable comfortable and effective (no unnecesssary delays when pushing keys, etc).

Some guns in INF even push it so far as to run a "bring to hip" animation, than run the "unsave gun" animation, after which I can initiate the "aim gun" action. Gosh, I can chat in the meantime while Tangos rip me apart... realism.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Something is coming on April the 16th! I don't know what, but it is coming.

In the meantime, some appetizers:

[SCREENSHOT]http://www.blackfootstudios.com/Donkey/BFS_WarehouseGuys01.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

[SCREENSHOT]http://www.mayhemonstrings.com/Images/GB4.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

Ocsi88

Jul 20, 2009
As example. Most generic way to do pistols is to have the slide unlocking after reloading as a separate animation, in real life, when your life depends on it, you slap the mag in and aim the pistol while unlocking the slide after which you can fire immediately. Two actions in one move, that's realism

Or if you are in a situation shooting competition. :)

Same with drawing the sidegun, if your life depends on it, you can unsave the pistol and already fire a couple of rounds even before you brought it to aim. This is realism, this is gameplay.

I did that "shooting while switching to aim mode" in INF coop a lot...

These are the things the animator needs to be aware of and work toward to and the programmer needs to make it being usable comfortable and effective (no unnecesssary delays when pushing keys, etc).

Yeah, i always hated these unnecesssary anims, instead making the anim slower, if they think it's too fast... (for exemple: INF M4 drawing)

Some guns in INF even push it so far as to run a "bring to hip" animation, than run the "unsave gun" animation, after which I can initiate the "aim gun" action. Gosh, I can chat in the meantime while Tangos rip me apart... realism.

AKM/M4 vs HK416 (w/o GL)? :)
Do the 2 AR15 drawings have the same lenght?
It seemed that way for me...

I-C-A-R-U-S

Jul 11, 2013

I did a survey and would love to participate.

However one thing really worries me...
A citation from letter I received from KickStarter:

"While we will do the Alpha Early Access ourselves, we have also contacted Valve about doing an official Early Access sale on Steam and they are interested. However, they would like to see a more polished and complete build before committing..."

I believe I can speak for people who refuse to use Steam(tm) here:
I have nothing against GB being sold on Steam(tm), but I would not buy or support a steam exclusive game.

Thank you for reading :(

Last edited:

tomcat ha

Feb 2, 2002
Visit site
considering how they have been struggling to get this off the ground for years now im not surprised that they are going with steam. How many more options are there now?

chuckus

Can't stop the bum rush.
Sep 23, 2001
Visit site
Honestly they should try to get funding from a backer by marketing it as a F2P game. Have a few solid guns with some optics as unlocks but make almost all extra kit buyable in micro transactions.

All free to play shooters are arcadey bullshit. That's a niche that isn't served right now.

Logan6

TC Vet
Dec 23, 2003
If you guys break up as a company, I hope you'll donate your house models to Arma 3. At least then we'll have more than 3 types of houses.

Arma 3's vision of "civilization" SUCKS.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
[m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1DZqrIq2BI[/m]

Summary of recent news:

1) Kickstarter in January 2014 (small KS to feed an early access version of GB, possibly only $25.000 USD)

2) Ground Branch moved to Unreal Engine 4 (much better programming and art integration)

3) Blackfoot is an official Play Station 4 developer (no imminent plants for a PS4 version yet, but if they decide there will be nothing in the way)

4) For those who are not up to date, krisredbeard is now the programmer lead at Blackfoot Studios. Another Infiltration player, can be only a good thing.

andy_kosela

Jul 31, 2011
Thanks Psychomorph for the update. It seems Ground Branch is the only hope for us military simulator enthusiasts now.