Ued2 HOM problems

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

speaker_hu

Dec 24, 2004
Szeged, Hungary
Hi,

I have serious HOM problems when I use UnrealEd2 for making UT maps. Up to a certain point, everything is OK. Then I add a couple more brushes, and suddently HOM effects appear w/o any apparent reason no matter how careful I am. This has happened to every map I have made so far. In one case I had about 20 substracted rectangular brushes (and nothing else) in the map, and there was a HOM! I spent a lot of time trying to eliminate the errors by using different arrangements of brushes, but in most cases it was unsuccessful.

Is there a mapping strategy which could help in avoiding the HOMs? I mean, any operations to avoid (e.g. someone mentioned that intersection and deintersection should not be used), what kind of geometry is the most likely cause of the HOMs, etc. I noticed for example that cutting the corners of rectangular brushes at 45 degrees caused HOMs in many cases.

I would greatly appreciate your advice. This problem is so frustrating that I am considering to stop map making (although I like to do it). Or I will just switch to Quake3 where decent editors are available. But Q3 sucks as compared to UT. (However, IMHO UnrealEd sucks even more.)

Nahand

!!! God Of Random !1?
Oct 24, 2003
PT
... Quake III doesn't suck. Welcome to Nalicity. If you just cut a 45º angle of your rectangle brushes and those brushes are the only thing in the editor, then it will HOM because you just made a hole in the brush directly to the editing void. Also, yes UED is crap and it will HOM you like hell every time it cans. One thing i like to do to avoid (sometimes) the HOM's is: if i want to add a addictive brush and it gives HOMs, i undo, use the brush to SUBTRACT the space, *then* add it. Since i'm adding it in the same exact place where i subtract it, i already have a cut there to place the addictive brush and there's a lot less a chance of HOM. I've used this an awfull lot to get rid of nasty ****, though only works with normal (solid) brushes. Semi-solid tend to screw up even more. Non-solid don't give any problem as long as you don't have them side by side with other architecture, especially other non-solid.

speaker_hu

Dec 24, 2004
Szeged, Hungary
Nahand:

Thanks for the tip, I will try it.

The HOM caused by 45 degree cut: I cut the corners of additive brushes placed in a previously created substracted space, so I don't really see how one can create a hole to the void by this procedure. But even if I cut the corner of a brush substracted from the world, this should result in a new brush with a more complicated structure (more sides and vertices) but well defined boundaries. Where is the hole?

BTW, I agree that Q3 doesn't really suck, I just like UT better. Q3 textures make me crazy and depressed :)

Nahand said:
... Quake III doesn't suck. Welcome to Nalicity. If you just cut a 45º angle of your rectangle brushes and those brushes are the only thing in the editor, then it will HOM because you just made a hole in the brush directly to the editing void.

sandorski

Sep 22, 1999
coquitlam, bc, Canada
Visit site
Q3 does suck and UEd doesn't! :lol:

Anyway, keep Grid Snapping On, keep grid on a Power of 2(16 or 32 recommended) when doing BSP work, and make your Brushes in a Power of 2 as well. That should allow you to align everything perfectly and prevent HOMs.

If a HOM occurs, try Vertex Editing the last Brush or the Brush that appears as the offender and re-align it, Rebuild. You can also select and Delete then try to do the Brush over. Using Intersect/de-Intersect isn't a habit to get into, but sometimes it's worth a try(especially for doors or windows).

speaker_hu

Dec 24, 2004
Szeged, Hungary
Sandorski:

Thanks for the tips.

sandorski said:
Q3 does suck and UEd doesn't! :lol:

I have played Q3 a little recently, and it is not so bad. Some of the maps have decent textures (not the horrible orange/brown **** used in most of the ID levels) and they play quite well. Anyway, let's say that Q3 does not suck, but UT rulez! :)

sandorski said:
Anyway, keep Grid Snapping On, keep grid on a Power of 2(16 or 32 recommended) when doing BSP work, and make your Brushes in a Power of 2 as well. That should allow you to align everything perfectly and prevent HOMs.

I always have grid snapping on, and use power of 2 for the grid and for brushes. Unfortunately, it does not prevent HOMs (but probably I have less than otherwise would).

sandorski said:
If a HOM occurs, try Vertex Editing the last Brush or the Brush that appears as the offender and re-align it, Rebuild. You can also select and Delete then try to do the Brush over. Using Intersect/de-Intersect isn't a habit to get into, but sometimes it's worth a try(especially for doors or windows).

Vertex editing may help (in that it will snap the vertex to a grid point). But the error may occur at a later step, when the coordinates are finally computed. In exported T3D files I noticed that some of the coordinates which should have been integers were not (e.g. 127.999986 instead of 128.000000). Bug in floating point calculations?

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
well I recomend grid of 1 unit,couldn't live without it.But
try ,,select all subtracts then right click,and see "order" send them to last.
see if that works.

or keep a hom map you know and expiriment,usualy I send the problem brush to "last" but I have read two methods wich go through all the brushes in certain order.
Also you might want to play around with merge,and also don't mess with the grid and rebuild then switch grid back,mabye I get probs from that cause I allways have grid on 1 unit,accept for certain big large brushwork or placement.
Allthough I do try to keep brush sizes to base 2 (16 ,128, 512 1024,4,8) but you have more control when grid is set to1,but I do funky stuff so don't totaly listen to me hehe...........