Battle-Field 3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Last I recall, installing 2142 to your hard drive required that you download their shitty EA Download manager thingy. I suppose this isn't much of a difference.

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
To be honest, I don't give a fuck if it requires Origin or not, as long as I have my disc copy. I'm not buying it if there's no guarantee of me having the game 2 years down the line.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
You still have to install EA's own junk if you want to play BF3 on PC, regardless of how you buy it.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
I still find it funny that people thought this would not require origin.

I would be willing to bet each and every EA game released from now on will require Origin.

As for my personal preference. I haven't dicked around with it much since the BF3 Alpha, but from what I noticed it is nothing more than a glorified store. It lacks some of the finer details that steam has like being able to change a download location, but other than that it seemed fine. Wasn't a resource hog at all, matter of fact it looked to use less memory than even Steam.

I still prefer Steam but at least it is worth noting that Origin doesn't kill your pc with unneeded crap. Still going to hold off on my purchase of Alice to see if the 1 year install limit is indeed true or just misworded.

Last edited:

-Jes-

Tastefully Barking
Jan 17, 2005
DM-HyperBlast
So, aside from the plethora of EA announcements claiming BF3/other EA titles not selling on Steam is somehow Valve's fault,
which the Origin announce itself exposed as childish corporate haterade...

..BF3 will require the following processes running:

Origin
Battlelog
Punkbuster

Yeeeaah, hf with that.
Never thought I'd say it, but go MW3. :eek:

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Yeeeaah, hf with that.

You say that so smugly like you are positive it will be some kind of annoyance to people or something.

>99% of people won't even notice or care and I doubt it will even effect half a frame per second of performance. :lol:

Hf with missing out on an awesome game. ;)

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
PunkBuster, aka the absolute worst anti-cheat software ever created even worse than no anti-cheat at all which how do you even get that status but somehow they did?

FlashIV

King of the Impossible
Oct 30, 2005
Illi-noise
1220ruw.jpg

The major annoyance I had with BC2 was all the blowing dust and snow that hindered your vision. I could never play the game for long with out feeling some eye strain or headache, so I mostly stuck with the Call of Duty games. Does the BF3 alpha have a similar atmosphere? That would probably be the primary factor for me getting into the multiplayer.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
PunkBuster, aka the absolute worst anti-cheat software ever created even worse than no anti-cheat at all which how do you even get that status but somehow they did?
I'll never understand the hate for Punkbuster. Out of the thousands of hours I've played Wolfenstein ET, COD1 and COD2, I've probably seen less than a dozen cheaters EVER inside punkbuster servers. As soon as you went outside PB servers in any of those games, it became quite clear that PB was doing a pretty decent job at getting the majority of the cheaters.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I'll never understand the hate for Punkbuster. Out of the thousands of hours I've played Wolfenstein ET, COD1 and COD2, I've probably seen less than a dozen cheaters EVER inside punkbuster servers. As soon as you went outside PB servers in any of those games, it became quite clear that PB was doing a pretty decent job at getting the majority of the cheaters.
Then you're lucky. The system is crap. It also has a ridiculously high false positive rate and the developers are arrogant ****holes. It took them over a year to release a version of PunkBuster that worked with Windows 7. And when they did it was crap because you had to go to their site and manually download and install the punkbuster service files or it would always fail.

In fact, it took them nearly two years in reality because people were requesting it during the Windows 7 beta and RC and their response was "we don't support unreleased software". Well, SORRY, but the whole point to those being released was for everyone to get their crap ready for release, but apparently those guys were too good for it.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
Punkbusters is garbage. It causes tons of issues for lots of people. It doesn't catch cheaters most of the time.

Also :lol: at MW3 vs BF3 fanboism. They're completely different games. Don't know why you'd bother comparing them except that they both have bullet gunzz in them.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Okay, so not only did they give me the 25% birthday discount that I used to preorder BF3, but EA just sent me a code for a free game (dead space 2-which I go-ME2, or medal of honor) for preordering.

I'm still not thrilled with the choices that EA is making with the steam snafus and requiring origin, but they are certainly making a concerted effort to justify it. If any of you are thinking about preordering, I would reccomend lying about your bday on your origin account and getting the discount and free game.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I don't really care because my interest in the game started waning about the time they released the first gameplay trailers. But older versions of Battlefied let you set up multiple profiles that had their own stats tracking and such which was great for families or roommates.

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
Families don't count for jack anymore, which is why you need an extra copy to play Lan with almost every game now.
Used to be you bought a game you could just play it with your family, but now you need to buy it once for every person who wants to play.
And if you ask online why that is and if there is a way around it you get smartass goody-two-shoes jumping at your throat because everyone who wants to play also has to pay! "You're just buying the license", "Oh, so you're complaining that not everyone can play the game for free with your copy"? No, I'm not, jackass.

Excuse the rant. Just has been pissing me off lately and this is basically the same thing. They don't want more than one person using the game so of course they won't let you create multiple profiles to make this even more comfortable for you.