The Official UT3 Myths Debunked Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Express your opinion!

• Total voters

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Kyllian: About as much as there is between UT2004 and UT3, this probably even goes for the hide-in-native rate. The UT UI was completely done in UnrealScript, only the drawing functions obviously were native.

Fuzz: Maybe the UI options are back, but style is still consolized/pre-mouse. And don't ever mention the word "quality" in the same sentence as "UT" again, unless you put "lack of" inbetween. Yes, Epic fixed a lot, but the beta demo wasn't really that, it was alpha. And Epic made the mistake (again) to release the final game basically unchanged. Many console players probably never played a UT game before and they were subject to quite some advertising, while PC gamers had to rely on that crappy demo (There still isn't a new demo, right?) to decide whether to buy or not.

Firefly: Level design and coding didn't change much since UT2004, it's wrapping it all up what changed significantly and not always for the better. Firstly, it's completely irrelevant where you install the damn game, it still requires all custom content to be in a specific place. Secondly, that stupid cooking process, without which imported sounds and textures take up much more space than necessary and with which exporting stuff becomes impossible. These two things should really be possible without cooking, and even if I remove the source data (TGA/WAV), why can't UnrealEd export (or even import) DDS/OGG Vorbis data? Why does cooking for the PS3 requirew audio to be encoded in a such a special way and the required encoder does not even come with the game? Why split the community even more by preventing cross-platform play? Why cripple the 360 version by removing the most important feature of a UT game - moddability?

DarkSonny

Beware!
Apr 8, 2008
Malaga, Spain
... Mapmixer's an improvement (love the remixed music btw :)) but I would love to see 2k4's gui come back. It was so quick...

Wait for the release then xd it is rc3 now and it promises a lot. I think many black holes will be filled by sinx greatly ( management ai bot agresiveness, favorite weapons etc...)

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
The UI only cover the entire screen when it needs to, like in the Advanced Video menu. It's artistic to have a flyby in the background. Your hardware is supposed to be able to handle that fluidly, just like the ingame scenes.

A demo is never the full game experience. The gameplay haven't changed since the alpha because it's perfect.

PS3 audio modding is not allowed. Asked and answered.
Importing sounds is not supported. This is because UT3 uses a proprietary version of ATRAC3 and we are unable to release the tool that is needed to convert .wav files to the format required by the game.

* It is unknown if we will be able to have some system for sound conversion in the future.
* We understand the limitation this places on mod developers, and will rectify this if at all possible in a future version.
Sony is not as liberal with developer utilities as Epic. Microsoft doesn't even allow modding at all.

UT3 on consoles does not split the community. People would still buy the PC version if they had the hardware to play it on. UT3 on consoles make it more likely for people to hear about the game and play it, effectively making the genre larger, not smaller.

Solution, get a $800 PC, mod and play UT3 all you want. Always use the stuff that works, don't spend all your time trying to figure out what's not working.

Last edited:

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Why does cooking for the PS3 requirew audio to be encoded in a such a special way and the required encoder does not even come with the game?

Sony.

Why split the community even more by preventing cross-platform play?

Xbox Live and Ps3's online network are completely unrelated and do not meet in the middle. The PC version has a lot of differences to the consoles versions. Not compatible.

Why cripple the 360 version by removing the most important feature of a UT game - moddability?

Microsoft.

DarkSonny

Beware!
Apr 8, 2008
Malaga, Spain
Sounds good. also an ability to delete maps and mods from within UT3 would be a big plus.

I really didn't like rc1 but rc2 is good.

The problem in realtime if you try to delete any file in use you cant get deleted that file or would throw you a error dialog or so...I think is impossible unless you delete it after closing ut3.

Good idea anyway but so... xd

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
There is something wrong with mouse only interfaces or wimpy interfaces and I started to see it (and mapmixer is one of them, even if it contains so many options, who wants them? not me). The UT3 UI is not grand or anything, but I would like if it went even further into no mouse GUI era, in that way you could config everything through keyboard.

And, I don't get why did you misunderstand Fuzz about that Conquest thing, for me it was clear, he mentioned conquest as in what the game would be if it was released as UT2007, it would be less hardcore, less competitive etc....

Firefly

United Kingdom is not a country.
Firefly: Level design and coding didn't change much since UT2004, it's wrapping it all up what changed significantly and not always for the better. Firstly, it's completely irrelevant where you install the damn game, it still requires all custom content to be in a specific place. Secondly, that stupid cooking process, without which imported sounds and textures take up much more space than necessary and with which exporting stuff becomes impossible. These two things should really be possible without cooking, and even if I remove the source data (TGA/WAV), why can't UnrealEd export (or even import) DDS/OGG Vorbis data? Why does cooking for the PS3 requirew audio to be encoded in a such a special way and the required encoder does not even come with the game? Why split the community even more by preventing cross-platform play? Why cripple the 360 version by removing the most important feature of a UT game - moddability?

Thanks for the explanation :)

Cobra

Dec 15, 2005
Montreal, Canada
2 years latter, UT3 is dead. I don't know why those topic's, to try to regain favor for UT3. It will simply whon't do it dead = dead. You have many who like it, good for them. But please stop those topic, you whon't change a thing for those who hate it. Like I said some like it, and the majority hate it. From what I read on many other's forum.

I have the game on my HD. I play it for 15 minutes(every 21 day's or so) and I get bored, I mean really bored

Last edited:

Ignotium

Que hora es?
Apr 3, 2005
Madrid
Why cripple the 360 version by removing the most important feature of a UT game - moddability?

Are you even serious here? cause I can't really begin to understand why would a somewhat community experienced coder say such a thing.

Micro$oft would never allow for such a thing in the way EPIC does, not at least until it's a last resource for attracting customers into the console. :rolleyes:

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
I played today on a low ping server. There is nothing wrong with the netcode. I had a 40ms ping and I could hit with every weapon against human opponents without even thinking about latency. Players these days play selectively, most of them are constantly online on IRC channels. There are many servers to chose from, some are populated frequently.

I have nailed a few twitch headshots myself online, but gibbing someone with a Flak Cannon is a much more satisfying in-your-face experience.

Hating the game for no particular reason is immature at best and a stupid way of hurting oneself emotionally. Unreal Tournament III is a competitive game where great skill is rewarded with wins. The point of repetitive combat is to improve upon oneself and play increasingly better.

Stock maps are not boring, they are very beautiful. Don't let the bots beat you. Learn how to beat them more often and faster. Always try to hit them square on, don't alert them by missing. Many servers also have the Community Bonus Pack maps.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Upset players will come to their senses. They will stop hating as well as complaining and spreading inaccurate and hopeless rumors.

Ignorance is not a bliss when knowledge will prevail regardless. This is a thread for turning disbelievers into rightful enthusiasts.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Who hijacked the poll? Some moderator here is clearly a UT3 antagonist.

Solution is simple, whoever vote in a poll they think that suck sucks.

The original poll only had two alternatives.
1. UT3 rocks!
2. I suck!

Some moderator wanted their own alternative and thought the poll would be better with three of them. Why don't you start your own thread instead?

Last edited:

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
I felt left out by the original poll because I neither think UT3 rocks (don't get me wrong, it's a good game to play) nor that I suck (in general). Therefore the poll must suck. Whoever added the third option simply provided a way for people to actually vote an option they can actually identify themselves with.