The Decade's 25 Biggest Tech Flops

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The Dopefish

Eat your veggies!
Apr 17, 2000
Springfield, MA, USA
Just because they failed doesn't make all of them flops. A lot of those things were precursors to things we have today.

(Interesting that Sony is responsible for so many things on there.)

theabyss

No One Here Gets Out Alive
Dec 3, 2005
East Coast
^ Ha, true. So annooooying.
They haven't heard of scrolling pages yet.

The article reminded me on the Commodore/ Amiga CDTV that I bought back then. It was basically a Amiga 500 with a CD ROM drive.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
Number 1 biggest technological flop of the 21st century?
Having to click "Next" 25 times to see a tiny .jpeg on the internet...

That's just and ad-system coupled with greed ;)

edit: I think I never bought tech that flopped. I'm a cautious and informed consumer... and at launch of the Dreamcast I didn't have the cash to make a mistake ;)

Last edited:

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
Does anyone know exactly why DVD-Audio failed to take off?

Microsoft Smart Display I am disappointed didn't turn out good. Given enough time, and newer technology, that thing could have been really good. I think if it was released today, it would have owned.

I also don't really agree with the UMD one. The PSP has been a success, and there are a lot of games on the system, and all of them are in UMD format. However it appears Sony doesn't agree because future PSP games will be downloadable, but I think that is because of the increase in very cheap memory card storage, and the sizes they are coming in.

Last edited:

Big-Al

amateur de bière
Jun 14, 2003
Under a black flag.
www.ttrgame.com
Does anyone know exactly why DVD-Audio failed to take off?

Microsoft Smart Display I am disappointed didn't turn out good. Given enough time, and newer technology, that thing could have been really good. I think if it was released today, it would have owned.

I also don't really agree with the UMD one. The PSP has been a success, and there are a lot of games on the system, and all of them are in UMD format. However it appears Sony doesn't agree because future PSP games will be downloadable, but I think that is because of the increase in very cheap memory card storage, and the sizes they are coming in.

for the same reason people listen to ACC quality tracks they pay for on iTunes...they can't tell the difference...

Iron Archer

Holy ****ing King of Trolls
Mar 23, 2000
Obamaland
I too like Kantham. Anyways, to the topic at hand. I bought the Dreamcast on the cheap when we found some that were still in the warehouse when I was doing part-time work at Toys R Us some 7-8 yrs ago. I think I picked it up for $75 and it had 2 games. I've said it many times and I'll say it again, I think MS made a deal with Sega to discontinue the Dreamcast in the US in order to make room for the Xbox. See, on the right side there's this logo on the DC. It reads "Windows CE". Sega's system was more than able to contend with the Xbox, and was doing so without a hard drive. The tradeoff was that Sega got some good exclusives coming to Xbox when it launched including the now defunct Sega football franchise and many other titles that did not appear on PS2 for quite some time. Plus Peter Moore was one of the guys behind the DC and he found himself working for MS at a later time leading up to the 360's launch. Coincidence? I doubt it.

dreamcast-konsole-dc.jpg

Last edited:

Arcturus

Not From Bloody Starcraft
Jan 23, 2000
Totally Not Korhal IV
The article reminded me on the Commodore/ Amiga CDTV that I bought back then. It was basically a Amiga 500 with a CD ROM drive.
Commodore had some pretty bad flops. The CD32 didn't do so great either, since most of its games were just ports of Amiga games with horrible FMV intros stuck on the front. Also, anyone remember the C64-based games console? Thought not.