UE2 - UT2kX Playerstarts, Zoneinfos and Spawning

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Sep 24, 2005
Can anyone shed some light on this? In a map I'm making sometimes players/bots spawn very close to the spot where they died, and that's not so good. Spawnraping shouldn't be that easy.

The respawn spots are determined by the Zoneinfo number, IIRC, so how do I place Zoneinfos to make sure a map is fair?

Deathmatch

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
Actually they are influencing the spawn locations afaik. Just place both enough zones and enough playerstarts, but I dont think you will ever be able to completely eliminate this problem.

Your zoning should be optimal for optimization, not optimal for the playerstarts...

Sep 24, 2005
I never heard that before and I never mapped accordingly but my playerstarts still work, so I'd advise you to just forget about that and place enough playerstarts in different enough locations so the game can pick an appropriate one.

12 PlayerStarts for a 2-4 player map...

Actually they are influencing the spawn locations afaik. Just place both enough zones and enough playerstarts, but I dont think you will ever be able to completely eliminate this problem.

Your zoning should be optimal for optimization, not optimal for the playerstarts...

The map is zoned pretty good, I think. Do you know in what way the zones influence the spawn locations? One spot in the map is pretty nasty with respawning, and I would like to know why.

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
I think it simply picks any other zone, randomly, but the one you died in. I dont think you can ever distribute the spawnings perfectly. What if you die right next to a portal? You may respawn just 300 units from that location and still spawn in a different zone.

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
12 sounds fine but it depends more on how well they are spread out than on the raw number. Speaking of the raw number, if it is at all possible you should put in some more just in case some crazy folks want to attempt bigger matches on it.

Also, I just wanted to say I don't believe it is based on the numbers of the zoneinfos because a) that makes no sense in terms of gameplay. You want to spawn new players as far away from living players as possible. Who cares about the number of the zoneinfo? And b) if it was based on it somehow you could change it more easily.

If it is just a 2-4 player map I assume it isn't that big so spawning relatively close to someone or relatively close to where you died is not uncommon. Unless it is excessive just don't worry about it.