SP Framework feedback thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

anartist

Mar 4, 2013
...It is possible to use Bot Controlled vehicles as boss characters...how I spawned the enemy vehicle driver/AI:...code to spawn a driver for the boss vehicle, and have them enter the vehicle...cut-down version of the MonsterController/Bot code

That's really cool. The leviathan base as a boss. Cool.
Nicely commented code.

What is the main MonsterController/Bot code sctipts in UT2K4 that I could focus on in notepad++ ?

anartist

Mar 4, 2013
Does anyone know if there is a list online or somewhere that lists all the maps and packages that are essential to the running of the game and editor and core structure?

I'm trying to make a separate dev build of UT that dosn't contain anything extra, just the skins for the vehicles and models, a small set of textures for entry and a base room, the gui and nothing else. I think I could get it down to 1.5 G or less.

also, can a set of images for an animated texture be combined into one image container in the texture browser. So I see one animated texture image not all 20 images in the sequence?

That blue gui box around triggered messages, is that a drawn shape from coordinates, or is it a bitmap? Can I change it? Can it have pictures in it? can it be "skinned"? In any of the triggered messages can you put line breaks somehow?
if you edit the message script? Like, paragraphs?

Is there a way to make the weapon hud go away? Completely? I actually don't want anything except maybe the map in the main gui. I know I can toggle it, but I was wondering if I can make it start off. All off.

If you know of a previous thread, point the way please!

Some of you might like this article on SP game design:
http://christuusgnosis.blogspot.ca/2013/03/single-player-3d-first-person.html

it's a good starter overview you could give to someone who is interested in game design.

BTW I checked Warpath and indeed I was able to import and apply normal maps.
Would it be possible to put the warpath engine and editor onto UT2k4?
Like, kludge all the files together?

Pariah is also built on this engine and has a dialogue tree system
how hard is it to pull the dialogue system out of one Unreal engine and put it in another if they are almost identical just different by a small bit like the normal maps? Could all 3 games be kludged together? The extra bits and the engine int UT2k4 with the UTpawns? Idon't know, it just looks so much the same when you browse the tree.

Devastation also used the same engine, and I want the RAT. It doesn't have to be a rat. I would be fine with an RC car or a probe.
Anyone know what I'm talking about? Like in Project Eden, where you have the rover and the flyer.

I know its illegal probably, but these 3 games tanked bad, so why not just rip them apart and put some of their good bits into UT2K4? Just a snippet here and there...wish I was really a codehead(not) then I'd even consider it.

Am I the only person who can make Matinee crash 8 times in an hour? Hopefully the megapack application will fix that.
Actually, it did fix that. Really well. I could almost say "most excellent"

I have the bonus pack applied though,
and I would ask, pretty please, can someone tell me how to get the cicada in there from the bonuspack?
Is there a package I can load into the editor that works with the SPFramework?
oh. 8P onslaughtbp.u
Can someone tell me how to make onslaughtbp.u an the VDM_AI class from the vehicle dm cubemap.ut2 file load when I start the editor?
Can I make it load my specific texture and mesh pkgs too? Please?
Yes I know it's kind of a noob question.

even more excellent.
I love the Cicada as a vehicle base to model on.
I like the way it flies better and it has more sockets for secondary animations.
I've never really dug the raptor. I am going to alter the raptor one day to something cool.

So much happier.

Must find binoculars now.
Sniper rifle good, binoculars better...

Could someone please tell me what the Blinders are?
Are they, like, chips or something? Is there a Blinder faq?

I'm also wondering if someone knows how to make a separate video config for the UT launched from the editor, so I can hit the play in game button in the editor and get a windowed spgame, but when I use my main UTshortcut it would be standard fullscreen.
If I could have a full different .ini that would be better. Can I put an .ini file or edit one in the spframework folder that adjusts the video settings only for when it is run from the SPMenu?

I'm very pleased with the stability and toolset of the mod. I'm liking it a lot. It has enough to work with.

I guess everyone here went on to UT3 or Halo Reach or something.
Oh well.

Last edited:

meowcat

take a chance
Jun 7, 2001
I won't help you make UT2k4 into a stand alone "engine", that is what the UDK is for (and UnrealRunTime to a lesser extent). Also, this subforum is (obviously) rarely visited anymore. The only reason I responded was that I was still subscribed to this thread.

Although the neat graphics features of those other games are not generally implementable in UT2k4, much of the content can be ported over (see the Epic UT2k4 Forums for examples of a number of player model rips/ports, and several UT3 backwards-conversions). UModel is a primary tool for extracting UnrealEngine content. Again, by my understanding the EULA of most of the ported content source games would prohibit such activities...so use at your own risk (though Epic did allow porting of Unreal Game series content between its Unreal games for modders).

An RC Car's code could be cobbled/pieced together by using the redeemer weapon code as an example. The redeemer weapon has the player controller "possess" a redeemer warhead when controlling it (the warhead actually being a subclass of pawn). Instead of flying physics you could just give the RC car PHYS_Walking and then make sure its velocity was only adjusted in the forward and backward directions. now that I think about it, I vaguely remember someone making some sort of RC car weapon a long time ago...

When trying to build a map with "custom actors", like the SP Framework special classes, defined in new code packages (*.u files) you have to go to the Actor Class Browser, click the File->Open selection and then select the *.u file that contains the actor classes. In this case it should be something like SPFramework.u (I don't quite remember, and I think you could compile your own code package too).

If I did not already post the links the UT2k4 source code should be downloadable from one of the links here:
http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/UnrealScript_source_code

The classes you need to look at for AI code examples are: Controller.uc (the overall class with "stub" functions), AIController.uc, ScriptedController.uc, Bot.uc, and MonsterController.uc. SuperApe posted a neat little tutorial example for simple AI code here.

I personally use a custom mutator to mess with a bunch of game settings to allow vehicles. Follow one of the mutator tutorials on the UnrealWiki and use some of the sample code below in your mutator to allow vehicles and unlock them.
Code:
function PostBeginPlay(){
     if(Level.Game !=None){
       if(!Level.Game.bAllowVehicles) Level.Game.bAllowVehicles=true;
    }

Super.PostBeginPlay();
}

function bool CheckReplacement(Actor Other, out byte bSuperRelevant){
    bSuperRelevant = 0;
    // Unlock vehicles
	if(Vehicle(other) != None){ 
            Vehicle(other).bTeamLocked = false;
            return true;
        }
        return true;
}

If you play with a custom GameType you can specify the HUD class in the Gametype. Your custom HUD class could then turnoff/override the functions that display items like health, armor, selected weapon and ammo remaining status etc.

Last edited:

anartist

Mar 4, 2013
...that is what the UDK is for ...this subforum is (obviously) rarely visited...neat graphics features...not generally implementable in UT2k4,...EULA...RC Car code...redeemer weapon code...redeemer weapon...Instead of flying physics...PHYS_Walking...velocity was only adjusted forward/backward...click the File->Open selection...
The classes you need to look at for AI code examples are: Controller.uc (the overall class with "stub" functions), AIController.uc, ScriptedController.uc, Bot.uc, and MonsterController.uc

I use a custom mutator ...to allow vehicles. Follow one of the mutator tutorials on the UnrealWiki and use some of the sample code below in your mutator to allow vehicles and unlock them.
Thx!!!!! This is usefull!!!!
Code:
function PostBeginPlay(){
     if(Level.Game !=None){
       if(!Level.Game.bAllowVehicles) Level.Game.bAllowVehicles=true;
    }

Super.PostBeginPlay();
}

function bool CheckReplacement(Actor Other, out byte bSuperRelevant){
    bSuperRelevant = 0;
    // Unlock vehicles
	if(Vehicle(other) != None){ 
            Vehicle(other).bTeamLocked = false;
            return true;
        }
        return true;
}

...If you play with a custom GameType you can specify the HUD class in the Gametype. Your custom HUD class could then turnoff/override the functions that display items like health, armor, selected weapon and ammo remaining status etc.

Thx a lot.
I'm not using UDK because I am targeting shader 2 or lower cards
I am making everything smaller and tighter for high resolution on low end machines. This is a personal marketing decision and I am working on a Goldsrc project as well.

i am aiming for a crap machine market penetration with 3d not 2d.

Thank you for the code snippet and the AI pointers.
It is exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks also for the other info on the Hud and etc.
My dev rig is pretty stable if underpowered right now
I am using the UT2K4 as a base for a reason
It's stable on a celeron 1.4
with integrated f%^&%#&$%^&ing gfx.
erg.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

meowcat

take a chance
Jun 7, 2001
Good Luck with your project! It's nice to see a project aiming at the lower end PCs.

The main reasons I've stuck with UT2k4 s the lower level required for game arts (models and animations), and the fact that I only have one computer capable of running UT3/UDK.

anartist

Mar 4, 2013
I'm actually working on a GoldSrc project as well
I think I'm settling on opforce as the base for the entities
for some reason I really like the hammer editor

The SPramework gave me most of the things I needed for SP in UT2K4
I was sure I could get most of the functionality I needed.

There are a lot of people using older hardware,
if you don't make a multiplayer 32 ppl blowing each other up at the same time game
there is potentially millions of players who don't need to RUN through a level while reloading. I am working on making levels that you actually want to walk through without running and don't use a weapon.

anartist

Mar 4, 2013
I think this is my last stupid question
any monster I place gives me this
but, it still compiles and plays fine.
It doesn't seem to matter what type, sppawn, xpawn, spactorspawn
I have another script to try for vehicle unlocking, but the ash one is working, and if not in SPF I don't get the error on the monsters
anyway
ScriptLog: *** Embedded Vehicle DM Package V1.0 by Ash
Warning: SPMonster_SkaarjLord Autoplay.SPMonster_SkaarjLord (Function XGame.xPawn.GetPlacedRoster:0007) Accessed None 'PlayerReplicationInfo'
Warning: SPMonster_SkaarjLord Autoplay.SPMonster_SkaarjLord (Function XGame.xPawn.GetPlacedRoster:000F) Attempt to assign variable through None
ScriptLog: Init placed bot Autoplay.SPMonsterController
Warning: xDMRoster Autoplay.xDMRoster (Function UnrealGame.DMRoster.AddToTeam:005E) Accessed None 'PlayerReplicationInfo'
Warning: xDMRoster Autoplay.xDMRoster (Function UnrealGame.DMRoster.AddToTeam:0066) Attempt to assign variable through None
Warning: SPGame Autoplay.SPGame (Function UnrealGame.DeathMatch.ChangeName:0032) Accessed None 'PlayerReplicationInfo'
Warning: SPGame Autoplay.SPGame (Function UnrealGame.DeathMatch.ChangeName:0357) Accessed None 'PlayerReplicationInfo'
Warning: SPMonster_SkaarjLord Autoplay.SPMonster_SkaarjLord (Function XGame.xPawn.GetPlacedRoster:0007) Accessed None 'PlayerReplicationInfo'
Warning: SPMonster_SkaarjLord Autoplay.SPMonster_SkaarjLord (Function XGame.xPawn.GetPlacedRoster:000F) Attempt to assign variable through None
Warning: xDMRoster Autoplay.xDMRoster (Function UnrealGame.DMRoster.AddToTeam:005E) Accessed None 'PlayerReplicationInfo'
Warning: xDMRoster Autoplay.xDMRoster (Function UnrealGame.DMRoster.AddToTeam:0066) Attempt to assign variable through None
Warning: SPGame Autoplay.SPGame (Function UnrealGame.DeathMatch.ChangeName:0032) Accessed None 'PlayerReplicationInfo'
Warning: SPGame Autoplay.SPGame (Function UnrealGame.DeathMatch.ChangeName:0357) Accessed None 'PlayerReplicationInfo'
Log: ALAudio: Using DirectSound to record audio.

where the first and last lines of log are the normal
then the monster deathmatch freakout I don't know, then back to normal.

help.