3D Realms Shuts Down, Duke's Fate Unclear

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Unknown Target

Jan 22, 2008
First, digg is a piece of **** that has to die with it's crappy ass framing.
The proper url is: http://duke.a-13.net/

First part of that list is interesting. Ignore everything after "Popular Video Game Series Releases", because it's a piece of **** nonsense.

There was more to that page than just the first part with the receipt? I didn't even notice lol. By the way, I agree, the Digg framebar thing is a pain in the ASS, especially after I browse through a page and try to link to the sub page I'm on, but can't because Diggbar's in the way. Then I remove it and get back to where I started.

By the way, **** Derek Smart. I loathe that guy - and since I'm a Freespacer as well, I have even more of a distaste for him.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
yes, along with Daikatana, Limbo of the Lost. I also hope the book mentions Derek Smart, EA Spouse, and EA "Trip Hawkins" era.

Why do you put Daikatana and Limbo of the Lost at same sentence? Limbo of the Lost is a ripoff background lame adventure thing etc.
Daikatana is a real game (with a lot of problems though) and not really bad one..in fact its multiplayer is one of the best multiplayers I ever played and some of the MP maps were really good designed, they kinda became forgotten classics.
Storm sector 7 is like daikatana's equivalent of deck16.

So putting it in a line with limbo crap is really disrespecting.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
Why do you put Daikatana and Limbo of the Lost at same sentence? Limbo of the Lost is a ripoff background lame adventure thing etc.
Daikatana is a real game (with a lot of problems though) and not really bad one..in fact its multiplayer is one of the best multiplayers I ever played and some of the MP maps were really good designed, they kinda became forgotten classics.
Storm sector 7 is like daikatana's equivalent of deck16.

So putting it in a line with limbo crap is really disrespecting.

I put them both on the same line because they are both examples of games where serious mistakes where made. Daikatana was the game where they made a 2000x2000 pixel large arrow head.

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
I actually find Microsoft in a bad position this year. Halo isn't effective enough, Gears of War 2 is doing fine, Fable 2 isn't as satisfying as it should and much more.

The PS3 got a nice 2009 game library like Killzone 2 and inFamous.

I do think it would be a smart move for Microsoft to give a financial support to 3DRealms and make it a 360 exclusive as well as getting 3DRealms as a new Partner (like Bungie was before or Lionhead).

BoneofFear

The American Dying Machine
Jul 14, 2004
IN DA CHOPPA!
www.myspace.com
To Duke's defenders: the game is a joke. Sorry but I have not heard (with the exception of the few people defending it here) anybody take it seriously.

say what you want we all have our opinons ect ect ect ect.Does it really matter if the games a joke?Nope!Cause iirc some people (before Unreal was released to retail) was saying things along the same lines.And look at where Unreal is now,some spin offs and a not-so-convincing sequel later.It's still around.If it ever does get released,fine.If not,That's fine as well.But as far as I'm concerned,let's just continue with our lives instead of worrying about "the game that could of been but has now turned into a joke because every SINGLE gamer in the universe has either A)A bully complex B)Is so childish that even if they are 21 years old (or whatever the state,country or galaxy you live on) try to the liquor store with their newly acquired ID from DMV or Walmart or Wherever the **** you happen to get ID's from Now a days,the cashiers just look at them (and the ID) saying "Sorry kid,your not old enough!" or C)People that feed Trolls electric wiring in a bucket full of water.

And my opinon of the industry (like any of you would give a damn about a polock's 2 cents!) it's a Conspiracy to keep the free thinkers away from actual issues of the world (even though we do concentrate on such topics anyway!)

But I've said too much already.Hell hal will probably ban me to hell and purgatory and back.

Unknown Target

Jan 22, 2008
say what you want we all have our opinons ect ect ect ect.Does it really matter if the games a joke?Nope!Cause iirc some people (before Unreal was released to retail) was saying things along the same lines.And look at where Unreal is now,some spin offs and a not-so-convincing sequel later.It's still around.If it ever does get released,fine.If not,That's fine as well.But as far as I'm concerned,let's just continue with our lives instead of worrying about "the game that could of been but has now turned into a joke because every SINGLE gamer in the universe has either A)A bully complex B)Is so childish that even if they are 21 years old (or whatever the state,country or galaxy you live on) try to the liquor store with their newly acquired ID from DMV or Walmart or Wherever the **** you happen to get ID's from Now a days,the cashiers just look at them (and the ID) saying "Sorry kid,your not old enough!" or C)People that feed Trolls electric wiring in a bucket full of water.

And my opinon of the industry (like any of you would give a damn about a polock's 2 cents!) it's a Conspiracy to keep the free thinkers away from actual issues of the world (even though we do concentrate on such topics anyway!)

But I've said too much already.Hell hal will probably ban me to hell and purgatory and back.

Ok, firstly, try calming down. Spacebar and period is your friend.

Secondly: your comparison fails: Unreal didn't take 12 years to make, and to my knowledge, no one was making fun of it that it wouldn't come out. In fact, the two game situations are completely different and can't be related at all.

Thirdly: The rest of your first paragraph doesn't make much sense.

Fourthly: So now the game industry is a massive conspiracy to keep people from solving world problems? Who exactly is running this conspiracy? Do you imagine some conglomeration of Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony executives all sitting around a giant table with a single ceiling light, their faces all cast in shadow? The Nintendo representative kicking a starving African children and cackling as he goes over the latest sales reports for the Wii Fit, saliva dripping from his fangs as he relates that with the amount of eight and ten year olds playing their game, the United States will be intellectually bankrupt within the next five years and unable to create new vaccines for diseases ravaging Africa?

Can I have some of your Kool-Aid?

dinwitty

DeRegistered User
Nov 10, 1999
midwest,USA
www.qtm.net
Unreal didnt change tech engines midway in deveopment, but Unreal was switched in development to get the game out.
DNF had 3 tech changes.

I keep hearing 3DR shut down, but not .closed. down. Dunno if it will dissappear as a company, but its easy anough to form a new company and pick the game right back up.
But you had to release your current employees from that company.

My brain is going thru all kinds of scenarios what has happenned here. Is DNF actually done and the employees all leaving and the game coming out soon? Or is it true its lack of funding and the game long in development still in limbo?

The world awaits... DUKE SAVE US!!!

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Pretty unimpressive for 12 years of work. There are some cool animations they accomplished in there, but otherwise it just looks like a run of the mill game with run of the mill graphical glitches.

Northrawn

Feb 21, 2009
Pretty unimpressive for 12 years of work. There are some cool animations they accomplished in there, but otherwise it just looks like a run of the mill game with run of the mill graphical glitches.

My thoughts exactly, for the overall game. AFAIK it only show personal stuff of one of the unemployed animators.

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
Wait, are you actually saying that you can judge all the fun behind a game by watching a Youtube Video pointing out a few (and cool) 3D animations? :eek:

Northrawn

Feb 21, 2009
Wait, are you actually saying that you can judge all the fun behind a game by watching a Youtube Video pointing out a few (and cool) 3D animations? :eek:

True.

I couldn't even tell gamplay from a whole demo* of a different game... ...otherwise I hadn't spent money on UT3. ;)

*) I was blinded by hope.

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
Hmmm - haven't seen that before but in any case, put along side the current portfolio of next-gen first person shooters, it wouldn't stand a chance.
Bargain bin purchase may yield some small return for the publisher but I can't see this being the blockbuster it was initially intended to be.
I'm pretty sure I've got Duke Nukem on CD somewhere & I'm seriously thinking of reinstalling it and taking another look just for ****'s and giggles.

Lruce